Infected By Uke Madness In Indiana

w/o-talent

Reaction score
Something apparently crawled into my nearly 60 year old brain and said, "Hey, so what if you've never played a muscial instrument in your life and there's nothing to indicate you own an ounce of talent, why don't you learn how to play the ukulele?" The illness showed itself when I actually concluded somehow that made sense.

So less than two months ago when I shared these mad thoughts with my wife, and she didn't break out laughing, I bought a Kala-TEM, and the journey has begun. I joined the forum, signed up for UU+ (which I highly recommend to any other mad noob), and am working my way through Uncle Rod's boot camp. I am having an absolute blast.

There's only one problem. From reading everyones posts I know this is a progressive disease, and already I'm getting this itch to upgrade my uke........

Last edited:
Something apparently crawled into my nearly 60 year old brain and said, "Hey, so what if you've never played a muscial instrument in your life and there's nothing to indicate you own an ounce of talent, why don't you learn how to play the ukulele?" The illness showed itself when I actually concluded somehow that made sense.

So less than two months when I shared these mad thoughts with my wife, and she didn't break out laughing, I bought a Kala-TEM, and the journey has begun. I joined the forum, signed up for UU+ (which I highly recommend to any other mad noob), and am working my way through Uncle Rod's boot camp. I am having an absolute blast.

There's only one problem. From reading everyones posts I know this is a progressive disease, and already I'm getting this itch to upgrade my uke........

Welcome, and yes, madness this way ukes....

AND you're in Indiana!

Get on over to Nashville and get a hug from Mike (Trust me, it's worth it!) and pick up a Mainland while you're at it!

From 70 year old me to 60 year old you.....welcome and congrats. Ukes just make ya
happy. Just keep practicing and find a group if you can. How much "talent" isn't necessarily the issue....it's how much fun! You may have more "talent" than you thought after a little while! Keep on strumming.

Welcome, Fortunately, there is no known cure.

Welcome, W/O Talent! But you are not w/o inspiration! You've got a large group of geezers here to keep you company! Plan now on attending the UWC on June 1 & 2. It is in your neck of the woods. Maybe we can get together and work up a geezer song or two to sing onstage.

The same thing happen to me this fall. I'm 58 and I started about a month ago. I heard about the boot camp practice sheets yesterday and I'm working my way through page one. Got the first line down pretty good but that second line is where the rubber hits the road. Sure is fun though.

Indiana is the the place in the midwest to be a ukulele player. You have Mainland Ukes and he hosts Ukulele world Congress every year in Nashville, IN, but you also have the Blue Stone folk school just north of Indy and they have people playing all the time. To boot you also have David Gill ukes in Columbus. You are a lucky duck.

Welcome

Upgrade all you can but keep that TEM. That first Uke will always hold a special place in your heart.

Upgrade all you can but keep that TEM. That first Uke will always hold a special place in your heart.

Well, the wife and I went over to Jake's show in Springfield, Il and I had the good sense to take the TEM and have him autograph it. So no, I'll never let that one go.

Hello there from another Hoosier.

Hey, no-one can pick up a uke and fail to have fun! And that's what music is all about- having FUN. Doesn't matter how old you are or whether you are so brilliant that you learn any song instantly, or whether you just learn a few songs you like.

Top Bottom