What strings for new Pono MT-E

Markr1

Reaction score
Don't like the strings that it came with from Hawaiian music supply. All my other tenor ukes are strung with Aquilas and really like them. I have several sets of Worths browns and clears that I haven't tried yet.
And suggestions on which between the 3 that would fit this uke best?
The ones that it came with are a little to bright and stiff feeling. It's a solid mahogany body. Thanks for some advice on this dilemma.

Mark

Another question. I also have some low g string worths. All my tenors are strung up with high g. I'm kind of thinking I should at least have one tenor with low g so maybe I should go that route. What do you guys think?

And 1 more question if you all don't mind. I may have a lot of nice ukes but I'm still just a rookie at this and still have a lot of questions and still very much in the learning stages and appreciate all the help I can get. 4 sets of my brown worths say BT and the 2 sets of worth clears say CT I think the CTs are the low G. Is there any other way to tell which is low g? I don't see any markings saying High or Low not that I can see yet on the packaging.

And 1 more question if you all don't mind. I may have a lot of nice ukes but I'm still just a rookie at this and still have a lot of questions and still very much in the learning stages and appreciate all the help I can get. 4 sets of my brown worths say BT and the 2 sets of worth clears say CT I think the CTs are the low G. Is there any other way to tell which is low g? I don't see any markings saying High or Low not that I can see yet on the packaging.
I just noticed that one of the sets of browns say BT-LG and the other set says just BT so now I'm thinking the BT-LG is the Low G. Just a little more info I'm adding for that I'm finding out.Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Sorry about bugging the crap out of you all but what is the difference between the Worth browns and the whites?

strings

I like the clears but they are bright. The browns are less bright. You can try low g but I have found for me, it only sounds good for finger picking. Worths are great and the clears are bright fo. Sho.

My assumption is that your Pono came with Ko'olau golds, or else one of their new sets, Alohi or Mahana. What color are they? I really like the Alohi set, and you can get it low G if you want. However, recently I've been studying up on southcoastukes.com's stringguide.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm

Dude's got some pretty eye-opening information about low g and its implications for uke. I just got some of the classical metals and they are absolutely wonderful. So that'd be my vote. But my string opinion changes quite often. I used to be die-hard Worth, (you answered your own questions perfectly about the labeling), but I'd stay away from a Worth low g set... the reentrant clear mediums are a personal favorite of mine for a mahogany tenor. If you already have them, I'd just go ahead and string up what you've got and if you don't like it, take em' off til you find something you like. But I do strongly recommend checking out southcoast. There's a lot of good info there.

I received my Pono MT-E yesterday. Really beautiful uke! Well made, nice wood, excellent tuners, but:

My laminate Korala concert (strung with Aquila) sounds nicer and warmer... I want my Pono to sound warm and round. Are low G Worth Brown the answer for me as well? Which are the warmest sounding strings?

Mark

Since you came from a guitar background, I think you will like the low g....I just bought several sets from the Elderly sale. I think any fluorocarbons would sound good with mahogany.

Mark

Since you came from a guitar background, I think you will like the low g....I just bought several sets from the Elderly sale. I think any fluorocarbons would sound good with mahogany.
Thanks Daniel.

Top Bottom