New Strings and Things

westo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I recently purchased a 'Stagg EUK L-BK LP-style electric Ukulele' second hand. The strings are black with the G string low and not the C string that I'm used to on my Soprano Uke. I believe this new one is a concert size Uke that can be tuned like a soprano if wanted. I tried to tune the G string up, but it became way to tight compared to the other strings, so here is a couple of questions:
Can I pick up Black strings for this Uke that can be tuned soprano style?
Is there special strings for Electric Ukes or can normal acoustic strings be used successfully.
Thanks
Alan

Congrats on your new uke!

Sounds like you might have Fremont strings on your new uke.

Three of the four standard uke sizes (Soprano, Concert, Tenor) are typically tuned the same way GCEA. Some choose to have a low G (gCEA). In fact, there are strings made specifically for each size and low/high g tuning.
As you discovered, there is no way to tune a low g string up to high g - the string is made for the low g - you'll probably break the string or rip your bridge off if you really try for a high g with it.

I'm not sure what kind of music/ukulele stores you have where you are; you might be able to pick up some Fremont blacks - you'd be looking for concert or soprano strings.

In general, there are no special electric strings. If you have an acoustic/electric or electric uke, it is most likely (95%) using nylon strings. Only custom electric ukes or mandolin/uke conversions will be suited to metal strings as they can handle the vastly increased tension.

Good luck finding strings! Try using the forum search (or a google search: "strings ukuleleunderground"). Strings are an often discussed topic.

Hi Alan,

Concert scale and soprano scale ukes are tuned exactly the same (GCEA). So your new electric uke is tuned the same as your soprano. The only difference between them is that the g string on your new uke is a low g while your soprano has a high g.

For now you should leave them both as they are. The colour of the strings not important, except that if all the strings are the same colour you can be reasonably certain that they are from a matched set. Buying your strings as a complete set is almost always very important.

You might come to like the low G sound, but if you don't you should be able to buy good quality string sets online that include a high g. If the ad does not specify "low G", then you can assume it has a high g.

There are quite a few threads here already about string brands and preferences, so I won't get into that here.

Allan

Thank you very much for the responses, I am always learning.
Alan

Top Bottom