PDA

View Full Version : Who all brings their uke to school/work?

SinisterDom
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else did. I take mine as often as I can without getting in trouble. Stringed instrument club is soon and I'll be the only uker!

tad
09-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I keep a Makala next to my desk at work. People keep picking it up out of curiosity-- I'm hoping to convert some people.

deach
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I work from home, so YES, I do!

russ_buss
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I work from home, so YES, I do!

ditto. the fluke sits on the floor right next to me. the rest within stumbling distance.

haole
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I wish. :o One of these days I should pick up an eleuke to hide in the warehouse so I can practice without getting caught.

SinisterDom
Ha! I wish I was schooled from home. Although it is fun seeing teachers when the see the headstock sticking out of my backpack. One time a teacher who plays guitar asked me if It was just the neck of an electric (you couldn't see anything gut the top tuners.)

uke142464
i wish I could but i wouldnt have any time to play it

SinisterDom
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
i wish I could but i wouldnt have any time to play it

Lunch? I play mine at Lunch, Art, Accounting (booooorrinng), and occasionally web design.

Valerie
09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I brought my uke to work (I work in aquatics), and my boss promply banned ukuleles from being played on the pool deck.

So now, when I'm on my break, I have to play it in the guard room. There are a few others at work who pick it up for a few strums- though no converts yet.

Ukulele Dude
09-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I have one that I keep in my office. I play it almost every day at lunch and also in the morning sometimes if I get there before 7. It's a pretty nice one, so I keep it locked up in the bottom drawer of a file cabinet when I'm not there.

freedive135
09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I take my Flea to work everyday, yesterday was real slow, we're between kayak and ski season so I think I was strummin for about 3 hours total inbetween customers.
The owner is real laid back about it.

Alot of times I'll sit on the ledge in front of the store and play to the people walking down the street. I see lots of smiles.

Dane
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I take it in my truck when I head into the city for school. I play it in my truck, or sit on the grass against a palm tree while I wait 5 hours for my second class. I get weird looks though, no smiles.

lovemissheather
09-10-2008, 05:40 PM
unfortunately, i can't bring my uke with me to either job. :( but i would definitely bring it with me if i was attending school! which eventually, i will be again.

j312311
09-10-2008, 06:03 PM
yeahh i bring mine every other day to school. ill play during math class during homework time & lunch as well. sometimes i forget that its in my backpack and lean my head back a little and bump my head on the headstock :P got a couple of bumps from it .

LookItsRaph
09-10-2008, 06:10 PM
lol, i tend to bring my uke EVERYWHERE! lmao, when i was goin to high school before summer of this year for my senior year kids would always compliment my "baby guitar".

haha, i get irked when people mistake it as a baby guitar >.< i always gotta correct em. bring it to work too! surprised @ where i work and how cool the managers are (i work @ hollister >_< whoa).

Uke_Windu
09-10-2008, 06:32 PM
i have brought mine to work a couple of times...but i had to stop cuz i was barely getting anything done

Dane
09-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Someone the other day said to me "So how long have you played the violin... or viola?" And I raised my chin and said "It's a Ukulele case!" :)

DigableKid
09-10-2008, 06:37 PM
I keep the very first ukulele that I ever got at work. Like I said, I work with a 6 people, that I know of, that play the ukulele. People know its 5 o'clock when they start to hear me strum.

jjsdad
09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
We have an informal "Aloha Friday" once a month at work and about a year ago I started bringing my uke to work. Finally a few weeks ago another co-worker said she bought a uke and wanted to learn. Yea! A convert!
:rock:

salukulady
09-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I always have one or two in my car for wherever I am. My neighbor has one she takes to work. And my daughter who is in high school says the Samoans at school all walk around playing them. I have tried to get her to take one to school and join them but she feels awkward....she has blue eyes and red hair and feels like they wouldn't take her seriously. Go figure, I've threatened to join them at lunch time. (She would kill me.)

Dane
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I always have one or two in my car for wherever I am. My neighbor has one she takes to work. And my daughter who is in high school says the Samoans at school all walk around playing them. I have tried to get her to take one to school and join them but she feels awkward....she has blue eyes and red hair and feels like they wouldn't take her seriously. Go figure, I've threatened to join them at lunch time. (She would kill me.)

You should so do it!

e10rice
09-11-2008, 03:27 AM
I took mine to work yesterday. Everyone loves it. But seeing as my hands are usually on my key board as a draftsman its hard to get real playing time, so lunch time was fun and every hour or two either i or someone else would pick it up for about 10-15 mins. im not gonna make it a habit cause of the boss but man would it be nice to have everyday.

dnewton2
09-11-2008, 03:48 AM
I bring mine to work and go outside, weather permitting, for lunch and get some playing in. But the weather will soon be turning colder. Guess I am going to have to buy an eleuke. When I travel for work I have to make a tough choice of which uke to bring.

salukulady
09-11-2008, 03:55 AM
I bring mine to work and go outside, weather permitting, for lunch and get some playing in. But the weather will soon be turning colder. Guess I am going to have to buy an eleuke. When I travel for work I have to make a tough choice of which uke to bring.Time to move somewhere warmer.....can't let the weather get in the way of practicing!

dnewton2
09-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Time to move somewhere warmer.....can't let the weather get in the way of practicing!

My wife just started going back to school, she should be done in a year. Then we are planning on moving somewhere warm and by the ocean. On the upside It does give me a reason to get a new uke (eleuke).

haole
09-11-2008, 04:57 AM
I work at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership, and I have a feeling that playing my uke during downtime at work would make lots of customers smile. It would almost make up for the burnt Wal-Mart coffee they serve in the showroom. ;)

salukulady
09-11-2008, 05:19 AM
My wife just started going back to school, she should be done in a year. Then we are planning on moving somewhere warm and by the ocean. On the upside It does give me a reason to get a new uke (eleuke).
Somewhere warm and by the ocean.......I can't recommend it enough! Growing up here I didn't know how spoiled I was 'til I spent a little time away.....I will never leave the beach!

freedive135
09-11-2008, 06:38 AM
"I gotta go where there aint any snow
Where there aint any blow
cause my fin sinks so low
I gotta go where its warm"
JB

One of my favorites wish I could get that dang E chord to work!!!!http://www.azchords.com/b/buffettjimmy-tabs-4941/boatdrinks-tabs-102293.html

salukulady
09-11-2008, 07:36 AM
"I gotta go where there aint any snow
Where there aint any blow
cause my fin sinks so low
I gotta go where its warm"
JB

One of my favorites wish I could get that dang E chord to work!!!!http://www.azchords.com/b/buffettjimmy-tabs-4941/boatdrinks-tabs-102293.html
(Okay I know this isn't the e chord thread but to help a fellow parrothead....something I do when the E7 just won't work and I HAFTA use an E, wrap your thumb up over the top of the neck and use it to hold the GC and E strings and your first finger for the A string. Works for me.)

MGM
09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
unless i am on one of my famous "Can't talk about mention, reference or look at a ukulele" dates i usually have one at arms length. My better half gets jealous when all i talk about is ukes so hence the harsh restrictions..LOL I usually brak down a make a mistake though...agghhhh

thesoobz
09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
DUDE haha thats great i thought i was the only one. umm this might sound of crazy but i carry my ukulele with me everywhere! haha when i go to school i play on my breaks and stuff. and i work at menswearhouse tuxedos haha its pretty slow so i just bust it out and start playing. most of the times i sit outside and jam theres another guy that works at another store nearby that plays and we just jam up!. and some of the workers acutally found interest in it so some of them are actually buying one =)

hah thats my story

UkEdman90
09-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I take mine every where possible mostly 2 college haha. i play under this giant tree n b tween classes...keeps me relaxed and relaxes others around me :nana:

NotoriousMOK
09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I've usually got my Tiki Flea in the car when I go into the office. On the weekends, I usually work outdoors, so it's an easy retreat during breaktime.

From time to time, I work a booth at a home show, so I bring an ukulele to strum when its slow. The plus here is that it naturally attracts people, so it's back to work -- but I'm all commission, so that's a very good thing! :nana:

whatevsalex
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
i bring my soprano to school once in a while to play during lunch or any free time during class. when people notice a headstock sticking out of my backpack i get some looks though.. haha. two converts so far! :) woot woot! hahah

thesoobz
09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
i have two ukes a lanikai ck-c and a kanilea k-1 tenor.

but im trying to get people to play and teach people so im letting people use my lanikai so i have to bring my kanilea everywhere. haha i dont know if youc an tell but i love it. AHAHHAAH

i still dont know what to name her..

KoloheBoy
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
every day to school. haha.

SamIAm
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
i take mine to school all the time and busk during lunch. i play it in german and im a TA 7th with a blues player so he breaks out his guitar/ harmonica and we play while the class does there work. Sadly i only know fragments of songs for the most part so the only song i can play te lion king and you aint goin nowhere (i learned tht from watching russ's vid)

LoMa
09-12-2008, 07:21 AM
I keep two ukes at my office - one strung re-entrant and one strung with low G. I am mostly a low G player though.

My re-entrant office uke is an all solid mahogany cheapie made in West Germany that I got when I was kid in 1961 with S&H Green Stamps. If you're as old as I am, you'll know what green stamps are... This uke is fantastically resonant with excellent dynamics and playability, and only so-so intonation. I doubt I will ever part with this uke...

My low G office uke is a recently acquired LoPrinzi cedar and mahogany concert (thank you, thank you Jeff!!!!!!). I LOVE this uke and am incredibly happy to have such a wonderful one for my lunch hour playing!

To say the least, I keep these in a locked drawer when I'm not playing 'em. It also feels a little like insurance to have beloved ukes in two places in case of a catastrophe...

menehunenyc
09-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Cool thread, I finally took my Kala soprano to work, keep it in my locker. Since I work in a ER I can only play it on my lunch break, so I take it outside and play in the shade; so relaxing I eventually get sleepy and take a 20 min power nap. I don't know where I'll play when it gets to cold. I know of one guy who plays the uke, not very well he says, but one of these days I'll ask him to play.

Dino
09-12-2008, 11:10 AM
To give equal attention to my ukes, I actually take one to work everyday and play during my lunchour which is only 45 min but thats usually all the practice I can squeeze in a day. Don't ususally have time at home to play after work........3 kids! arrrrrrggggggggggggggg

tripl3thr33
09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
i bring mine to work kinda often. i work at a park and it keeps me busy when i have nothing else to do. i also bring it to school since i get there early and hang around with my friend and i just jam.

SnakeOiler
09-12-2008, 11:28 AM
When I work in the office, I bring it to pass the time. Usually I don't have the time on local jobs, but on long hauls...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtaEI9I1ubE

rawwrrrilleatyou
09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
i brought my ukulele to school twice.
the 2nd time, we were sitting in 1st period and the whole class was completely quiet since we were taking a test. this girl next to me suddenly says, "oh my gosh. a laddle!"

menehunenyc
09-12-2008, 06:06 PM
i brought my ukulele to school twice.
the 2nd time, we were sitting in 1st period and the whole class was completely quiet since we were taking a test. this girl next to me suddenly says, "oh my gosh. a laddle!"

You mean 'ladle' right, as in a large wooden spoon? What a dork. I had someone ask me if my soprano was a piccolo...:eek:, can you believe it?:biglaugh:

salukulady
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
You mean 'ladle' right, as in a large wooden spoon? What a dork. I had someone ask me if my soprano was a piccolo...:eek:, can you believe it?:biglaugh:Well, a piccolo is a soprano flute.......

menehunenyc
09-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Well, a piccolo is a soprano flute.......

Whoa, whos side are you on??? lol, but you do have a point...:uhoh:

salukulady
09-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Whoa, whos side are you on??? lol, but you do have a point...:uhoh:Sorry, I was a flute player long b4 I ever knew about ukes.....

haolejohn
09-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I keep one of my ukes at school. I'm a teacher and i use it quite often in the classroom (I think this is one of the reasons the kids call me the coolest teacher). So far I have 15 students that want to join the ukulele club and all the younger students want to be in my class b/c of it. Hopefully Hiram, Georgia will become the next ukulele hotspot. As a matter of fact today we recorded part of the national anthem for the morning annoncements. I'll see if I can post it here but probally not b/c of the students and privacy. I got my principal wanting to buy one last week when he saw my koa one. So I have gotten 1 adult and 15 kids to convert so far. Next week I am expecting my numbers to triple.

ricdoug
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I work at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership, and I have a feeling that playing my uke during downtime at work would make lots of customers smile. It would almost make up for the burnt Wal-Mart coffee they serve in the showroom. ;)

I do Ford commercial fleet sales and customers love the uke. It's an ice-breaker. There are two Makala Dolphin ukes in my car. Green and blue, in case someone else wants to play along. Instant concert! Ric

SeanKy671
09-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Hahaha i'm gonna be straight up!!
I take it almost EVERY day!!
i love showin off

you get the girls wit the uke doods

h-drix
09-13-2008, 12:59 AM
i cant take it to school, there is no down time for me. i have lunch but i need to eat or else it's hell for me during cross country.

mctrmt
09-13-2008, 06:45 AM
I was thinking of bringing my toy ukulele to work and leaving it in my office, but then I had the horrifying thought, what if I was at home and I wanted to play it?? Well, I usually have too much to do at work anyway, there's not much room for uking.

nikolo727
09-13-2008, 08:16 AM
i bring mine to school every once and a while. lol just for snitz and giggles.

Craig
09-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I keep either my tenor Fluke or concert Flea at work and play during the passing periods in the hallway -- I'm a teacher.

salsarocket
09-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I don't bring mine often because I don't have anything to carry it around in, but when I (or my friend) bring one to school, we're overwhelmed with people asking about it (the most popular question: What is that? Really sad.....).

Misguided Musician
09-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Lat year, I always brought my uke. I counted down until class ended so I could finally pick it up. I even got one of my teachers into the ukulele cuz of that.

SeanKy671
09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Lat year, I always brought my uke. I counted down until class ended so I could finally pick it up. I even got one of my teachers into the ukulele cuz of that.

I got two of MY friends playin the ukulele..
I'm so proud of my pupils :D

4strings707
09-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Well, I brought my uke to work (I work in aquatics), and my boss promply banned ukuleles from being played on the pool deck.

So now, when I'm on my break, I have to play it in the guard room. There are a few others at work who pick it up for a few strums- though no converts yet.

that's so weak. banning ukes. do they have a sign on the wall?

she should ask to jam with them. I can understand how she would feel awkward.

YuKoLayLay
09-26-2008, 07:45 AM
I bring mine to school, one of our teacers at my school plays one too. It's kinda cool, however the only other guy that brings his ukulele goes to a different school now ... aj you're ugly

pwnoman
09-26-2008, 08:33 AM
well seeing I live at school, I keep it here with me :). I will randomly play outside on nice days. I love it when people stop by out of curiosity to listen and ask questions about my uke. I get a lot of stares :uhoh: which makes it that much more fun :)

Ukulele JJ
09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
I bring one with me in the car when I go to/come from work. But I don't actually bring it up to the office.

JJ

VK18
09-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I keep a uke with me as much as possible thats one of the great things about the uke its portability.

HaileISela
09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
since I play such a lot of instruments, I never go out without one, I'd feel naked doing so^^ At least a mouth harp always accompanies me, and since I play the uke, it follows me almost everywhere... work is great, I'm alone there sitting in front of my pc, practising the UU lessons and once or twice a day there is a phone call I have to answer... I actually do learn and play uke mostly at work...

you know, if your main instrument is something like my bagpipe, you are used to annoy everyone around... people are pissed-off even if you just unwrap it. so I totally dig the freedom of my uke, it's just amazing!!!!:bowdown:

rayan
09-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I keep one of my ukes at school. I'm a teacher and i use it quite often in the classroom (I think this is one of the reasons the kids call me the coolest teacher). So far I have 15 students that want to join the ukulele club and all the younger students want to be in my class b/c of it. Hopefully Hiram, Georgia will become the next ukulele hotspot. As a matter of fact today we recorded part of the national anthem for the morning annoncements. I'll see if I can post it here but probally not b/c of the students and privacy. I got my principal wanting to buy one last week when he saw my koa one. So I have gotten 1 adult and 15 kids to convert so far. Next week I am expecting my numbers to triple.

Start that up and we'll send you some stickers to hand out to the kids in your club.

jqrcaliman
09-26-2008, 07:03 PM
i bring my uke to both work and skool. for the lunch breaks it's always useful to kill time.

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-26-2008, 07:09 PM
^ kill time? lmao
i wish lunch breaks went forever.. hate my work

as for school, take it often... it has grease stains everywhere.

jhob
09-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I keep my mahalo at work to play outside on nice days, but the summer was that shit this year I was only able to play it 3 times! Was fun though, roll on next summer!

Jimmy
09-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Playing a uke outside? Hm, might do that when summer comes around. I love sitting outside on a nice day and chilling out with my uke.

I bring my uke in I'm going to jam with anyone or if I've got a gig in school, otherwise I wouldn't really.

tad
09-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I actually just did a blog post about this yesterday.

Fancy that the thread should re-appear...

hoosierhiver
09-27-2008, 02:34 PM
When I started playing I worked on a psychiatric unit.I worked evenings and would bring in my uke,it was always a hit though sometimes the patients wouldn't want to go to bed,so I'd have to put it away.

OrangUke
09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I take an inexpensive soprano to work with me as long as the weather is decent enough for me to sit in my car over lunch and strum. But, I don't leave it in the car as I carry it to and from my desk. Since I'm in an open office enviornment, can't play it there. I've had a couple of people ask me if its a violin.