PDA

View Full Version : Am I just lucky??

Timbuck
10-22-2011, 04:39 AM
I bent a matched pair of Mahogany soprano sides this morning..and when I placed them in the mold..I was suprised to find out that I'd made two left handed sides :(..then I remembered Pete said a couple of years ago, he would show us what to do if you bent a side the wrong way..but I never saw that video....anyway I got out the hot pipe and started staightening out one of the sides (aided with a little spray of water here and there)..when it was reasonably straight I put it back in the Fox bender and bent it the opposite way..I thought "This will never work" but I took my time and bent it slowly..and Low and behold:bowdown:..it came out perfect:cheers:...Thanks Pete.

ksquine
10-22-2011, 05:18 AM
It ain't luck....You're just that good baby!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Spray it down with water and iron it flat with an iron. Bend as you normally would. Works best if the wood has little figure to it.

Rick Turner
10-22-2011, 07:23 PM
If you do this whilst watching yourself in a mirror, it will go much better.

A full moon is a good thing, too...

And listening to Richard Thompson's "Two Left Feet" 50 times will help, as well...

PelicanUkuleles
10-22-2011, 08:29 PM
That's way :cool:! What a relief, I'll bet!

Allen
10-22-2011, 11:19 PM
It's happened a couple of times to me in a dyslexic moment, and I managed to straighten them out just fine. Some wood works better than others. Black Heart Sassafras just has to be left somewhere hot and it will unravel on you right before your eyes.

Pete Howlett
10-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Glad you mention that Allen - I was tempted to experiment with it :)

Allen
10-23-2011, 10:59 AM
It's also the easiest wood to bend that I've ever come across. It's not that it's got any spring back at all, because it takes the bend perfectly. Just that any more heat and it will relax and want to become flat again.

Pete Howlett
10-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh I get you = lookslike it's back on the menu. I thought the blackwood I made up recently into a ukulele also bent rather well...

Allen
10-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes, Blackwood bends really well too. It's an easy wood to give to a student to hand bend. Fills them full of confidence when they see how easy it is.

Sven
10-24-2011, 01:25 AM
And then... you give them some brittle high figure stuff to get them down to earth. He he he...