Bound Body

rlbenoitartist

Reaction score
I am looking to get a Lanikai Ukulele, I am a beginner and have a Mahalo, the Lanikai says bound body, what does that mean?
Thanks

Binding protects the edge where the sides and top, and sides and bottom come togeather. It can also be decorative too. Bindings can be of synthetics like plastic, made to look like what ever the maker wants, or natural materials like wood, shell, or even rock (I've seen one guitar with mica binding). Binding can also reduce the chance of a crack starting at the edges. This is what purfling does too, if done right. On laminates, binding can hide an ugly edge. A good binding should, 1; look good, 2; make the instrument stronger, 3; not add weight to the instrument. The looks good part is very personal. Some people love the binding to stand out, others would like it to be un-noticeable.

I am looking to get a Lanikai Ukulele, I am a beginner and have a Mahalo, the Lanikai says bound body, what does that mean?
Thanks

Here's an example. On this uke the binding is the white edging around the sides of the body. Purfling is the narrow black stripe around the top/soundboard. As far as I know purfling is purely decorative while binding is both decorative and protective as gtrk explained.

i-Bpt4hV5-XL.jpg

All good advice above.

Bear in mind that more binding generally means more cost, but it also plays no part in the sound of an instrument.

As such, the unbound model is essentially identical in playing to the bound one, but a bit cheaper

Good purfling is cut into the top and bottom, not just painted on. Violin family instruments use purfing, but not binding. Purfling cut wrong can weaken an instrument, cut right it will reduce/prevent cracks from starting from the edges. Painted on would be just for looks, as cut purfling would not be needed on a bound instrument.

Top Bottom