PDA

View Full Version : Daily Ukulele for Oct 22, 2011

Ukulele JJ
10-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Hi gang,

Thought I'd take over today's DU while JoeyBug is out of the pocket (temporarily... I insist! Hear that, JB?)

Anyhoo, let me just flip to a random page here...

Sunrise, Sunset on page 224.

Oooh, that's a good one. It's from Fiddler on the Roof (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler_on_the_Roof).

No video, I'm afraid. Feel free to dig one up or shoot your own. But here are my thoughts as I play through the piece real quick:

Very nice chords, and nothing too difficult. Most of you probably already know all or nearly all of these, and if you don't, this is a good time to learn 'em. They're subtle variations on common chords and should be in every uker's bag of tricks. :-)

And yes, what Jumping Jim is calling an F6 really is the same fingering as a Dm7. They are inversions of each other. That is, they're made up of the exact same notes--only the "root" note differs. Kinda like how a C6 is the same as an Am7. (By the way, you can also play F6 or Dm7 as 5555.)

For the first six measures of the chorus, you could try playing just a D note on beat one--that's the third string (C string) on the second fret. Then strum the chords on beats two and three.

So it's: Note-chord-chord, Note-chord, chord

Or: D(note)-Dm-Gm6, D(note)-Dm-A7 ...and so on. I think that sounds pretty good. YMMV. :-)

JJ

kaizersoza
10-22-2011, 07:59 AM
err page 224 of what exactly? thanx anyways JJ

mascompro
10-22-2011, 08:04 AM
err page 224 of what exactly? thanx anyways JJ

>>>>>>>29162

kaizersoza
10-22-2011, 08:46 AM
ok thanx very much