Looking For A Case

If you're asking for input into your decision, it would help to know what your priorities are in a case. For example, the Ko'olau case probably provides more protection but doesn't have carrying straps, while the Kala case does have carrying straps but provides less protection.

Last edited:
The zippers on the Kala won't last half as long as the buckles on the Ko'olau. If you're planning on using this case for years, go for the Ko'olau.

Alright thanks guys, your info was really helpful. I'm leaning towards the Ko'olau.

I have the Ko'olau for my KoAloha Soprano, and I love it.

Ko'olau is a really nice case.

I'm pretty sure the Kala case would be black on the inside instead of the purple shown, but I'm waiting for confirmation.
That looks more brown to me, but I think it's really the photography.

I started a thread here about the Kala vs. Lanikai polyfoam cases.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?49085-Polyfoam-cases-Kala-vs.-Lanikai

Both Mim and Uke Republic said they are the exact same case. I bought the Lanikai because I got a good deal on Amazon (way better than the dealer you linked from). Mine is black inside and out.

I've been very happy with it. It's very light weight and incredibly sturdy unless you plan on jumping up and down on it or running it over with a truck. I think it would withstand a drop as well as or better than a hardshell where the weight of the case also figures into the impact of the drop.

I could see the zippers possibly being an issue if you don't bother to unzip them all the way when you open it, which would stress the stitching and the zipper, but so far I haven't had any problems. :)

I suppose it all boils down to what you're willing to spend. For my money, I think the polyfoams offer excellent protection (way better than a soft "gig bag") for the price.

Any of the popular hard shell cases are better than the hard foam ones where often the zippers fail and the handles come off!

The only experience I've had with zippers in life is from clothing and backpacks, and they seem pretty sturdy. It's good to know that not all zippers and handles are what they are shown to be :p

Two of my tenor ukes came with the Kala polyfoam cases. They are OK, but I prefer a hard shell case - so all of my tenors are in hard shell cases now.
If you really want a polyfoam tenor case, I'll part with one of mine for $25 + shipping. But truthfully, I'd recommend the Ko'olau instead.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom