Side port questions

Caboose66

Reaction score
So, I've found a little bit on this forum re: side ports, but not really a lot of input from those who own ukes with them. I'm wondering, do any of your ukes have them and, if so, what is your experience? I know they are non-traditional, but I don't mind.
Trying to decide between a Compass Rose, a LoPrinzi and a Collings. The CR is the only one with a side port.

Any input, pro or con, would be valued.

Dean

I've built many dozen ukes with side sound ports. In fact, fully half of the ukes I build these days have them. I forget who said "It's the best improvement you can make to an instrument by taking something away." As you would expect, it acts a bit like a personal monitor, allowing the player to hear a bit more of what he is playing. Curiously enough, it also seems to add to the forward projection of the uke as well. It simply sounds more open. It's a good addition if you can stray from tradition. (And really, how old is the ukulele tradition anyway? We are still making up the rules!))

All beautiful ukes! Have you see a LoPrinzi Nova ukulele? It is the only ukulele with a "sound port" modeled after the "Thurman Multi-dimensional Soundport".

Link to LoPrinzi's site here:

http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/prod03.htm

And Roger Thurman's site: http://www.rogerthurman.com/

And as Chuck mentions, many of his beautiful creations from UU members & others have his exquisitely designed sound ports. Lots of YouTube videos of ukes w/soundports & I'm sure that some of the owners will chime in here w/their thoughts.

I was lucky enough to get one of the Tall Grass bamboo blowout ukes with a side puka. Honestly, I couldn't say how much an improvement it may be, since I don't have one without a side puka as comparison.

That being said, I like the idea of it. And it also adds a bit to the cool factor. Something my nephew will appreciate, since this is heading to him on christmas.

I was skeptical about the side port. My Moore Bettah soprano has one. If I play open strings (Am7), lightly cover and uncover the side port, I notice that the uke is louder and is more open (transparent?) sounding with the side port uncovered. On the other hand, the uke sounds great either way.

side port/ riptide

I think if I were a young uke player choosing a good uke to last and enjoy I'd take a Riptide tenor with built in pickups. I've played some and like them. I have an Ohana concert with one side port and it is very nice to hear it so well. I have other ukea and it would be nice to have side ports on them, even my Kanilea or my Kala archtops or my
Bushman baritone. you hear the music better.

Have one with, a custom I requested it on, like it bunches, it lets me hear the subtleties of that uke's voice better.

Thanks very much for the replies. At my experience level, not so sure I should be excited about being able to hear myself better... :D. But that's how we learn, right?
Okay, so I won't rule one in or out based on whether it has a side port, but I think I am leaning toward wanting one.
Now... To decide on which :rolleyes:

Thanks again, Dean

I'm new to Ukulele, but have been a guitar player for many years.
Soundports are very popular on custom builds.

Tim McKnight, custom builder with a multi-year waiting list, has very good test results and discussion at the bottom of this page on his web sight ;
http://www.mcknightguitars.com/soundports.html

Here is a link to the Acoustic Guitar Forum, http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php
Registration is free, like here, Then search for Soundports and Sound Ports.... then spend the next week reading through all the info your heart desires about them.

I added a soundport to a beater Parlor sized guitar I keep in my work truck for lunch time pickin' and really liked the improved sound results.
Used the methods described on the AGF.
Here is a link to the thread I posted with pictures of my results;
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171671&highlight=soundport

This discussion has me thinking about my older Pono tenor, matte finish...
gloss it up and add a port ?????

Last edited:
Daysailer,
Thanks. Yeah, I'm familiar with the AGF... Done lots of drooling over there too being a guitar hack myself (on the TDPRI too, since I'm a Telecaster fan). I do recall seeing many of the high-end customs incorporating side ports, just never gave it much thought for guitar since I wasn't in the market for one of those works of art. Seeing them on a couple of the ukes I was considering made me wonder.
So far, I've read nothing to dissuade me from them.

Dean

Really!? I'll have to search for that - just to see that workmanship. Now, I believe there can be benefits - both to the player in being able to hear themselves better, and I also believe there can, somehow, be an effect on the forward-projected sound. But, it seems you would have to have pretty good ears to hear the differences in how wide the sliding door was open. Not saying they don't hear it, just amazed that there are ears out there so well-trained as to be able to discern the subtle differences. But the again, I can barely hear the differences between brass and steel saddles on Telecasters that are so obvious to others... Guess I wouldn't make a very good luthier :eek:.

Thanks for the info. Now, off to the Google-machine to see some of those sliding doors...

By the way Chuck... Since there's a chance you might read this. Just let me add my name to the list of those who admire your work. The creativity, skill and attention to detail in your ukuleles are really something.

Regards, Dean

I did my research on sound ports a few years ago, so bear with me as I scratch deep into my memory.

The sliding door covers for the sound ports were not intended to be an adjustment beyond open or closed. ie on/off.

Most references I remember from my research found that the users/customers who paid extra $$$ for the
option of closing the port, found that they used the closed position very rarely or not at all.
Here is a link to one qujickly found reference: http://edwinsonguitar.com/Edwinson_Lutherie/Design_Philosophy/Entries/2009/11/28_The_Sound_Port.html

Here is a cool link to an experimental guitar that was drilled in various places and sizes to learn about the sonic results.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=7;t=009259

Here is a link to the author of this experiment, discussing his tests.
http://www.alcarruthluthier.com/Downloads/sidePorts.pdf

If you look, there is alot of info out there on this subject.
Have fun....ds

So, I've found a little bit on this forum re: side ports, but not really a lot of input from those who own ukes with them. I'm wondering, do any of your ukes have them and, if so, what is your experience? I know they are non-traditional, but I don't mind.
Trying to decide between a Compass Rose, a LoPrinzi and a Collings. The CR is the only one with a side port.
Any input, pro or con, would be valued.
Dean

Hey Caboose66. I have built many instruments with and without side ports, and they do make a slight difference. I'm a little biased, but i would seriously consider the Compass Rose..... its a great ukulele.

Hey Caboose66. I have built many instruments with and without side ports, and they do make a slight difference. I'm a little biased, but i would seriously consider the Compass Rose..... its a great ukulele.

No plug for a Hive? You're a very loyal and admirable employee. . . who also happens to make a very fine instrument.

I have 2 Moore Bettah ukes with side ports. One of those has an offset sound hole on the top as well. The offset is one of my loudest. They are both favorites. I have a guitar with a side port and it also sounds very good. It has a double top and side port, so it is a bit unique. If you want some comparisons between Santa Cruz, Blackbird, Moore Bettah (2), Collings and Martin, there are videos on my YouTube channel of those. On the blurbs I mention the uke maker and model. The link is below. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad that there appears to be a consensus here about the benefit of a side port, albeit possibly a slight one. I think they're a cool design feature too, so it's good that we're not sacrificing function for form. What if you made one that was big enough to hold a beer?... :D.

Jake - I have to agree with Gyosh about your loyalty and humility (oh yeah... and talent)! I've seen it a number of times on this forum and I think it speaks highly of you and says alot about your regard for Rick Turner and his instruments. I know that the beautiful Hive Ukuleles I've seen are a result of your talent and hard work, but the credit you give to Rick, Compass Rose and Renaissance is admirable.

Cheers, Dean

Thanks for the kind words Dean and Gyosh.
Rick Turner and Barry Pearlman taught me just about everything i know about ukuleles, and i am forever grateful.

Top Bottom