What's Got More MoJo?

Both are cool, but my vote is banjo uke.

My little experience,
I have both: I play my banjolele much more. It's a more diferent sound from an uke. Cigar box sounds similar to an mahogany concert uke.

Never played one, but my vote goes to the banjo uke because I think it has a certain "uniqueness" to it. To me, and no offense to those who like them, the cigar box ukes look too much like they're made from recycled junk yard materials. Just my opinion, please don't take offense cigar box fans :D

I don't think they'll take offense, I think "they're made from recycled junk yard materials" is the whole idea. :)

If the cigar uke has a slide and pickup, I'd scoff and scowl at the Banjo uke and its happy hillbilly groove.

Never played one, but my vote goes to the banjo uke because I think it has a certain "uniqueness" to it. To me, and no offense to those who like them, the cigar box ukes look too much like they're made from recycled junk yard materials. Just my opinion, please don't take offense cigar box fans :D

No offense taken but some CBUs are pretty cool. Many are made from an antique CB. Black Bear and BlueGrassUkes make some awesome cigarbox ukes.

Russ at Sonny Daze makes a nice one CBU too. Although I did have to raise the action with half a toothpick on this one. I need to make a new saddle for it. It sounds better than most banjo ukes to me. Here's a sound sample.

P1030351.jpg

Last edited:
No offense taken but some CBUs are pretty cool. Many are made from an antique CB. Black Bear and BlueGrassUkes make some awesome cigarbox ukes.

Russ at Sonny Daze makes a nice one CBU too. Although I did have to raise the action with half a toothpick on this one. I need to make a new saddle for it. It sounds better than most banjo ukes to me.

View attachment 29219

I totally appreciate the craftsmanship . . . just don't like the look.

Since the question was, "which has more mojo?", and not which sounds better, or funkier, or more hillbillie... For me the answer is easy. Cigar box ukes have WAY more pure mojo.

Depends on the type of Mojo you are after.
If you are after raccoon coat, pennant waving, bow tie kinda mojo, Banjo uke.
If you are after the overalls with no shirt, BBQ going all day, front porch kind of mojo, Cigar box it is.
CBU's are so easy to build (and neighbors so fun to entertain) everyone ought to have one.

What's that you say...?

:wtf:Define "mojo" please.:eek:ld:

Depends on the type of Mojo you are after.
If you are after raccoon coat, pennant waving, bow tie kinda mojo, Banjo uke.
If you are after the overalls with no shirt, BBQ going all day, front porch kind of mojo, Cigar box it is.
CBU's are so easy to build (and neighbors so fun to entertain) everyone ought to have one.
+1 on that.

according to Webster's (because I don't subscribe the OED)
mojo: a magic spell, hex, or charm; broadly: magical power

Since CBU's are all hand-built customs with lots of the builder's inspiration,
CBU's must have more mojo than a banjolele......unless that is a hand-built gourd banjolele.

Last edited:
+1 on that.

Since CBU's are all hand-built customs with lots of the builder's inspiration,
CBU's must have more mojo than a banjolele......unless that is a hand-built gourd banjolele.

this

they are all customs,and unique, and parts of them had a previous life as something else, especialy interesting depending on where those parts are from and who smoked the cigars. But then I guess its the same with any instrument with a history, that history imparts a certain mojo too it, so mabee it depends more on the life of the instrument. i guess a vintage banjo uke with an interesting past could have much more mojo then a new and carelessly put together CBU

I think mojo is way too subjective to ever get a unifying answer! I think they're both equally funky.

For some reason, everyone seems confused about Mojo. I've always had my Mojo. It comes in little bags, usually worn around the neck. There are various types. I prefer the original w/ John the Conqueror root.

If you want some, F & F is a good place:

http://www.orleanscandleco.com/ff/htm/curios.htm

Top Bottom