PDA

View Full Version : Show Your Crappy Ukes!

rook
10-22-2011, 11:29 PM
There's a lot of dick measuring contests that I see going on in this forum...why not show off your best El Cheapo Ukes?

I just today ordered a Lanakai Tenor A/E Black from Butler on Ebay.
Can't wait to get it!

This Uke at $200 + shipping is by far the most quality Uke I have ever owned to this point.

I'm sure that there are a lot of ukes at this price point that have impressed you as members of this forum/community.

What are they? How come?

ukulefty
10-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Errrr, so $200 is a crappy uke?? :eek:

ukuhippo
10-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Apparently it is when you're drunk on a saturday night.

elisdad
10-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Apparently it is when you're drunk on a saturday night.

Reading this absolutely cracked me up.

PoiDog
10-23-2011, 05:56 AM
There's a lot of dick measuring contests that I see going on in this forum...why not show off your best El Cheapo Ukes?

Can't wait to get it!

This Uke at $200 + shipping is by far the most quality Uke I have ever owned to this point.

I'm sure that there are a lot of ukes at this price point that have impressed you as members of this forum/community.

What are they? How come?

Seems to me that someone calling their $200 uke an "El Cheapo" is guilty of exactly the same dick measuring contest he means to satirize.

Oh, the irony!

ejnovinsky
10-23-2011, 06:07 AM
"There's a lot of dick measuring contests that I see going on in this forum..."

just checked the contest section.....nothing there I must have missed this one......anyone remember what the prize was?

SuzukHammer
10-23-2011, 06:09 AM
I can't find any crap ukes in my house.

My tenor though is 24".

heymak
10-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Can't wait to get it!

What are they? How come?

Seems to me that someone calling their $200 uke an "El Cheapo" is guilty of exactly the same dick measuring contest he means to satirize.

Oh, the irony!
Exactly what I thought too. My best uke isn't close to $200.00

ukuhippo
10-23-2011, 06:13 AM

just checked the contest section.....nothing there I must have missed this one......anyone remember what the prize was?

My wife laughed when I told her that I was signing up up for that contest, so I have no idea what that prize was. Probably a baritone neck.

SuzukHammer
10-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Exactly what I thought too. My best uke isn't close to $200.00

Show your uke then.

jackwhale
10-23-2011, 06:43 AM
crappy and uke don't belong in the same sentence.

Chap
10-23-2011, 06:47 AM
$28 at Toys R Us, + Aquilas = FUN!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/DaSquigBrain/Ukes/Woody.jpg

SuzukHammer
10-23-2011, 06:52 AM
$28 dollars at Toys R Us, + Aquilas = FUN!

That is a Beauty crappy uke.

rook
10-23-2011, 07:05 AM

That's what I'm talkin' about!

mascompro
10-23-2011, 07:11 AM
I don't own any crappy ukes, they are all played and loved.

As for dick measuring contests, I never enter any contest I know I can't win.

rook
10-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Oh, the irony!

Haha! Funny cos it's true :agree:

spookefoote
10-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Gosh, I wish I had two hundred of your dollars to spend on a crappy uke.

wolfybau
10-23-2011, 07:51 AM
well this is the uke I've been learning on for over a year and made most of my videos with, its a cheap little childs guitar found in a dumpster missing 2 tuners and the bridge, I made a new one out of wood and recut the nut for 4 strings. total cost $0

I have to say i did recently upgrade the flimsy white existing tuners with slightly less flimsy elcheepo black ones off of ebay and a set of black 'alice' Strings, which I boought cause Alice is my name haha

http://www.musiclo.com/Ukulele-strings-Alice-AU04--ukelele-nylon-set_p_32.html

total cost about $10

do i win?? :p

here is a video with a long talk story at the beginning about the discovery of my trashy uke , and demonstration playing it starts around 5:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRNwKc1_drs

something are priceless no matter what the perceived material value
its not the bling bling or the caching caching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZW-AuuFkt8

Dan Uke
10-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Love Krabbers and not Krabs!!!

cletus
10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
As for dick measuring contests, I never enter any contest I know I can't win.

:worship::cheers:

mds725
10-23-2011, 10:00 AM
None of my ukuleles, including my $38 Makala Dolphin and a $60 triumph that won't stay in tune, is "crappy." Some just cost less than others.

rook
10-23-2011, 10:01 AM
well this is the uke I've been learning on for over a year and made most of my videos with, its a cheap little childs guitar found in a dumpster missing 2 tuners and the bridge, I made a new one out of wood and recut the nut for 4 strings. total cost $0

I have to say i did recently upgrade the flimsy white existing tuners with slightly less flimsy elcheepo black ones off of ebay and a set of black 'alice' Strings, which I boought cause Alice is my name haha

total cost about $10

here is a video with a long talk story at the beginning about the discovery of my trashy uke , and demonstration playing it starts around 5:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRNwKc1_drs

Very cool story of a stray Uke that found a good home :cool:

Here's my $80 Mahalo that's been doing the job nicely so far

ejnovinsky
10-23-2011, 10:39 AM

total cost about $10

That is absolutely brilliant!

wolfybau
10-24-2011, 01:35 PM
@rook thanks! your mahalo looks good to me, $80 is well above my budget! lol

@ejnovinski thanks very much !

Krabbers video is awsome that one is a fave. ;)

Hippie Dribble
10-24-2011, 02:14 PM

these are mine, though, like Mark said, i don't consider them crappy, just cheaper than a Mya Moe!

the sky blue mahalo was the first uke I ever bought in mid 2006, cost me $24.95 and I played it into sawdust for 2 years before I even thought about buying another. Anyway, when I did, i bought the orange one!

I have them both decorated: the orange with a 'This machine..." line written on in permanent marker. The blue one is bound with lots of tiny love heart stickers.

They both sit in the entry to my flat on a window ledge above the front door, as a kind of aerial welcome mat!

rook
10-24-2011, 02:47 PM

these are mine, though, like Mark said, i don't consider them crappy, just cheaper than a Mya Moe!

the sky blue mahalo was the first uke I ever bought in mid 2006, cost me $24.95 and I played it into sawdust for 2 years before I even thought about buying another. Anyway, when I did, i bought the orange one!

I have them both decorated: the orange with a 'This machine..." line written on in permanent marker. The blue one is bound with lots of tiny love heart stickers.

They both sit in the entry to my flat on a window ledge above the front door, as a kind of aerial welcome mat!

Here I started a thread about 'crappy ukes' and I didn't post my crappiest! Those little Mahalos kick ass! The first uke I ever bought also but UAS (tenor strain) hit hard and fast. Sometimes I pick it up and play it but the strings are not what they used to be. I was thinking about ordering some Aquila sopranos for it. Have you or anyone else tried that and found it made a huge difference? I guess if they're good enough for
the "Woody" uke above they would benefit the Mahalo.

Hippie Dribble
10-24-2011, 03:02 PM
yeah rook, brilliant on a mahalo...much more volume, sustain and sweetness. do it!

arpie
10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't have any crappy ukes any more - I gave it to my brother!! :D

Roberta

rook
10-24-2011, 03:21 PM
yeah rook, brilliant on a mahalo...much more volume, sustain and sweetness. do it!

Good to know, I'm convinced! Thanks.

mm stan
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Aloha Rook

Not sure what you mean by cheap ukes...he he I got a 24.95 uke and it is definetely not a crappy uke...it is my daily player...I like the sound, playability and comfort of it.
As a player, and your skill level of playing, an above average player can make any uke sound decent.they will know how to manipulate the best sound out of it and work around the problem areas.
I have a few(well) premimum and custom ukuleles...and I play them too....but at home by myself I get my best enjoyment out of 24.95 old friend....in fact I prefer it more...A uke is not Valued to
me on how much it costs...it is how much enjoyment you get out of it and like it and How it preforms for you....

haolejohn
10-24-2011, 04:59 PM

magnifying glass???

rook
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Aloha Rook

Not sure what you mean by cheap ukes...he he I got a 24.95 uke and it is definetely not a crappy uke...it is my daily player...I like the sound, playability and comfort of it.
As a player, and your skill level of playing, an above average player can make any uke sound decent.they will know how to manipulate the best sound out of it and work around the problem areas.
I have a few(well) premimum and custom ukuleles...and I play them too....but at home by myself I get my best enjoyment out of 24.95 old friend....in fact I prefer it more...A uke is not Valued to
me on how much it costs...it is how much enjoyment you get out of it and like it and How it preforms for you....

I get that 100% stan. It's really amazing you prefer that uke over the premium and custom but hey, like you said. What I meant by crappy was basically something other than a $500++ uke. Crappy was a crappy description but it was just for shits and giggles and when I post late on a Saturday night you can be guaranteed I'm gigglin'.

Big_e
10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
My "El Cheapo of the Cheapos" Tara uke. Bought for $20.00 and change off of ebay. The strings don't evenly settle in the slots so my fingers catch as I strum. I can smoothly strum with all my other ukes but this one fights back. It does like to be played with a pick. I was hoping for a beater uke and this one doesn't fit the bill.

Funny thing is that I've logged so many practice hours on the "Cheapo". I will eventually leave it somewhere with a sticky that says, 'Free uke" and take off running.

rook
10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
My "El Cheapo of the Cheapos" Tara uke. Bought for $20.00 and change off of ebay. The strings don't evenly settle in the slots so my fingers catch as I strum. I can smoothly strum with all my other ukes but this one fights back. It does like to be played with a pick. I was hoping for a beater uke and this one doesn't fit the bill.

Funny thing is that I've logged so many practice hours on the "Cheapo". I will eventually leave it somewhere with a sticky that says, 'Free uke" and take off running.

Now THAT is in the true spirit of this thread. You should leave that outside wolfybau's door, maybe she'll start a home for wayward ukes :rock:

coriandre
10-24-2011, 05:42 PM

That is a cool ukulele !:cool:

Big_e
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
That is a cool ukulele !:cool:

+1! I'd rock that uke. I'm betting it becomes a collectors item.

My "Cheapo" must've heard me talking about it. I did a little bit of surgery on the string nut with some small files that I have and she's starting to behave a bit. I like to warm up with the subaru commercial song by Basia Bulat and the strumming got alot more smoother.

lancemanion
10-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Love my cheap ukes, here is one of my favorites. Replaced the strings and tuners and sprayed the body with gloss poly to keep the original matte finish from collecting finger prints. It's lots of fun.

lancemanion
10-24-2011, 08:25 PM
If you like cheap ukes you will love this guy. I challenge you to find someone who can make a $20 uke sound better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L07NQYe7WWw

drbekken
10-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a super cheap TNA soprano ukulele. It's featured in two of my videos, 'Skit-skat-doodle-do' and 'Four or Five Times'. It cost me less than GBP 20, and is kinda good in its own strange way. The intonation is wayward, but it's a sturdy, rock-solid thing that can be taken ANYWHERE. I believe (but I can't prove it) that they're made by the same people who make the Rogue sopranos. The instruments look very similar on pictures. Still, it's not really crappy, just cheap.

musiccityuker
10-25-2011, 01:29 AM
My current uke stable features everything from dirt cheap Samicks to a custom Kanilea and Kamaka. I LOVE all of 'em! The ukes that get played the most are cheapos I keep on wall hooks in my bedroom and home office... always available and played almost every time I pass thru the rooms.... even if just for 10 seconds. And you never know... I painted a Beatle's "Blue Meanie's" theme on one of my old Samick's... sold it for $100 out of state over Craigslist. That buyer turned around and sold it for $500 to another collector. The value of that Uke was a lot higher than I thought... yet it was a "cheapo." I wish I had it back! All ukes AREN'T created equal but I've never met a uke that wasn't worth keeping.... or passing along to a new ukester! Interesting thread.... I've enjoyed reading the replies! 29293

Ghibli
10-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Likewise, the uke I prefer to play most of the times is the cheapest of the ones I own - Lanikai Pineapple (learning to really appreciate a pineapple uke at present)

Inner Prop
10-25-2011, 07:47 PM

just checked the contest section.....nothing there I must have missed this one......anyone remember what the prize was?I think winning the contest IS the prize if you know what I mean.

This thread is good for the UAS. I don't feel so much like I want to get another one right now. I've got a Lanikai LU21 that I got from Santa last year.

rook
10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
:biglaugh:Haha! If the prize IS what you said it IS Then you IS the winner!