PDA

View Full Version : complete novice ambidextrous?

peatstackron
10-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Hi all,
Joined the forum this morning and I have to ask this question. I have started to learn from the dummies book and thought I would go for the right hand standard way of playing, doing OK but got this nagging feeling that I would be better off as a lefty. When I play air guitar:o it is always as a lefty but is it better to stick with right as its easier to follow the book?
Cheery
Peatstack

Tor
10-23-2011, 03:04 AM
If you're able to play right-handed then I would play right-handed simply because leftie ukuleles are hard to come by (assuming you're not trying to play left-handed without reversing the strings). If you play a left-handed ukulele you would be limited to lefties in shops, and there aren't many. And when you visit someone you can play their instruments if you play "standard".

In short, there are many advantages to playing "standard". But there are some lefties who can only play left-handed (e.g. Paul McCartney, from hearsay) and some that can play right-handed (e.g. Mark Knopler). The reason some lefties can only play left-handed (or at least it's very difficult to learn to play right-handed) appears to be linked to rhythm or timing ability with the right hand. I think it was Douglas Adams (HHGTTG) who once wrote that he was unable to learn right-handed guitar so he didn't have much choice there.

-Tor

ukulefty
10-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Learn whichever feels the most "natural" to you.

Doug W
10-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Peatstack,

Learn whichever feels the most "natural" to you.
I also agree with this. I am not left handed but I would guess that if you stick with playing left handed and reading right handed TAB, that your brain will figure out how to translate Right Hand to Left Hand after a time and you will get faster at it. It is also a good argument for learning standard notation which is pretty universal.

Bill Mc
10-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Everyone who plays a stringed instrument is ambidextrous. How do you determine that what you must do with the left hand is any more or less complex than what you must do with the right hand ? As a novice on a stringed instrument most of us feel akward no matter how we hold the instrument. Practice changes all that.