Tips for making a good video without having alot of gear?

ejnovinsky

Reaction score
Working on my video, but just not getting very good results...Im using a flip camera, and having to rely on the built in mic which is obviously not up to the task..I know at least a few of you guys here have used flips for your videos..any tips on getting better results? would recording in smaller rooms help?

if you have a built in camera on your desk top than that's honestly probably your best bet... my actual camera takes better videos than my flip cam.... so if you have a camera that has a video setting than you could try that too... If you don't have either of those than i would suggest putting the flip cam on the highest possible setting (HD60 on mine) and just film in segments. Recording in a smaller room might work a little bit... and if you have bad lighting than just turn a light on behind the camera, and make sure your not in front of any windows. hope this helped a little bit!!!

~steve~

thanks that does help, Maybe I should just get a webcam and a small mic for the comp? Im going to keep experimenting today.......

Get a mac :)

The newer flips have external mic option, and I beleive there are some flip-port-mics for aal flips.

Mate, sell your flip cam and buy a Zoom Q3HD: decent hd image and awesome sound for record any uke.

If you can get the mic close to you, the audio will be better. The camera needs to be further away for a good composition, so an external mic is better. You could record the audio only on a different device, and sync them together in the computer. Other than that, you can get a long way on choosing the right background, lighting, and clothing. Think of it like you were designing a shot for a Hollywood movie, and your video will be elevated above the casual YouTube video fare.

–Lori

I use a casio dig camera that happens to take decent videos too.

on some cams there is a volume setting for the mic, but be careful of noise. One recorded though there is audio and video software that you can use to edit the sound quailty. I am using Goldwave for the audio and Sony Platnium dfor vidio but there are free options too like Audacity and Windows movie maker.

for the audio if the cam is all you have and you have no computer skills or dont want to mess with that, you can try some of the tricks used in the good old days of sound and video production. Study some of the pioneers in film and what they did.

One of these tricks was recodign in a tiled bathroom, the very 'live' ambiance of them, and the reflective surfaces creates a lot of natural volume and echo to be returned to the mike. You could try a public bathroom, if you dont have that, clear out a corner of a room and perform in that with bare walls, a totaly bare large room is better. but experiment with camera placement because with that much reflection you can get what is known as 'cancelation' where sound waves meet and cut out certain frequencies , which will alter your sound for better or worse depending on your mic. I hope these tips help good luck with your video.

I have used the Q3HD. It is a great one piece recorder for video and audio. The only thing you will not like is not being able to see yourself when you are in front of the camera - screen is always facing the rear. Another issue, with any setup, will be to get the microphones closer. The video works best when there is some distance and the audio needs to be captured close to the source. I now use a camcorder and interface to get mic closer - but it isn't as simple as I would like. You can hear my different setups on my YouTube channel- link below. I use a Q3 on the first couple of videos, off camera audio with a couple, a new camera, new camera with off-camera microphone and the last video (posted yesterday) is where I am at now. If you read the blurbs, or watch the trailers, you will find out about the setup for that video. For a good comparison look at and listen to the first and last videos. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Re. the Zoom Q3HD, it's true that the distance to the mics may be a problem, maybe not so much for the level as for the difference in sound when too far away. But the invisible screen can be fixed simply by plugging a HDMI cable from the Q3HD into a TV - it'll show the same screen on the TV as on the screen while you record. The Q3HD needs a C-to-A type cable.

-Tor

Good point Tor on a cure for the video issue. The Q3 does not have a microphone input, but it does have a line in. A microphone will not provide audio, but I used an Olympus LS-1 (which I already had) as an off-camera "microphone" with acceptable results. It still sounded a bit thin to me, but fixed the distance problem. Also, by moving it around I was able to get the balance between uke and voice that I wanted. If I did not already have the Olympus it would not have been a good option because I could buy a microphone for that price. I was trying to work with what I already had. In the end, I bought more stuff :)

Thanks for all the tips.....I had tried the tiled bathroom trick after seeing another video where someone tried it, and it was really weird echoey sounding. Oddly the best take I have was filmed in of all places my car! I have a Chevy minivan with very comfy spacious 3rd row seating, and It worked out pretty well. About the only thing that piece of junk has been good for.

Today I figured out you can't just plug a dynamic cardioid mic into your camcorder and expect it to record sound. Gotta get a pre-amp.

The newer flips have external mic option, and I beleive there are some flip-port-mics for aal flips.

The newer "FLIP PORT" is not likely to get an external mic. Blue was supposed to make one, but FLIP is no longer being produced, unfortunately. There is no external mic jack other than the previously mentioned FLIP PORT.

I did a comparison between the Zoom and the Flip UltraHD. The Flip has vastly superior video quality. The Q3 and Q3HD have vastly superior audio.

When a friend visited recently, we recorded video with the Flip UltraHD and audio with his Zoom field recorder. I am thinking about trying the Tascam DP-800 recorder and doing simultaneous video using the Flip UltraHD or my Toshiba camcorder. If I try that, I'll post something about it.

how about getting a usb microphone and plugging that into computer/laptop and using the webcam for picture and the mike for the sound, any ideas, suggestions, i am thinking of going down this road, ive seen some usb mikes for about £70. and upwards, there are some cheaper ones to, would appreciate any feedback, thanks :)

http://www.giggear.co.uk/c/USB-Mics/

I use a Creative Vado HD camera, it's like the Flip, but a different brand and although sometimes the volume on the mic leaves something to be desired I do like working with it, easy to use, easy to make the videos and it was easy on the wallet too. Reduced on Amazon from £140 to £39.99 which is why I got it as a Christmas present last year :D Love it!

Hope that helps

Joey :music:

I picked up a Zoom Q3HD a few weeks ago,.....just haven't got around to working enough with it yet. I wanted to dig out a separate condenser mic (good for acoustic sound) i have somewhere.

But i figured i could see the video image by just placing a mirror behing the recorder,.....preferably one of those magnifying mirrors. Low tech and might allow enough visually to get centered in the screen.

BTW,...here is some detailed recording techniques for acoustic guitar,....but the info works as well for a ukulele i think.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/acguitrectec.html

Re. the Zoom Q3HD, it's true that the distance to the mics may be a problem, maybe not so much for the level as for the difference in sound when too far away. But the invisible screen can be fixed simply by plugging a HDMI cable from the Q3HD into a TV - it'll show the same screen on the TV as on the screen while you record. The Q3HD needs a C-to-A type cable.

-Tor

Last edited:
Top Bottom