UFC 137: PENN vs DIAZ

KimosTherapy

Reaction score

UFC 137 PENN vs DIAZ next Saturday October 29th @ The Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, NV 6pm PT/9pmET

As you all know by now, GSP had to pull out of his scheduled fight against Carlos Condit due to a knee injury. BUMMERS!!! Here's the revised fight card:

MAIN CARD:

-BJ Penn(16-7-2) 5'9", 170lbs vs Nick Diaz(26-7-1) 6'0", 170lbs.

-Cheick Kongo(26-6-2) 6'4", 240lbs vs Matt Mitrione(5-0) 6'3", 265lbs

-Mirko Cro Cop(27-9-2, 1NC) 6'2", 220lbs vs Roy Nelson(16-6) 6'0", 263lbs

-Scott Jorgensen(12-4) 5'4", 135lbs vs Jeff Curran(35-13-1) 5'6", 135lbs

PRELIMS:

-Hatsu Hioki(24-4-2) 5'11", 145lbs vs George Roop(12-8-1) 6'1", 145lbs

-Dennis Siver(19-7) 5'7", 155lbs vs Donald Cerrone(16-3-0, 1NC) 6'0", 155lbs

-Tyson Griffin(15-5) 5'6", 145lbs vs Bart Palaszewski(33-13) 5'9", 155lbs

-Brandon Vera(11-5-0, 1NC) 6'2", 205lbs vs Eliot Marshall(11-4) 6'3", 205lbs

-Ramsey Nijem(5-2) 5'11", 155lbs vs Dan Downes(8-2) 6'0", 155lbs

-Chris Camozzi(15-4) 6'3", 185lbs vs Francis Carmont(16-7) 6'3", 185lbs

-Dustin Jacoby(6-0) 6'4", 185lbs vs Clifford Starks(7-0) Ht:?, 185lbs

Well, that's the UFC 137 fight card. So many of the matches are toss ups. I'll leave the coin toss up to ukestah.

I'm only making picks for a few of the fights, and here they are:

-BJ Penn over Nick Diaz, only because he's my fellow Hawaiian local boy. I sure hope he shows up in shape. Nick Diaz is a tougher than nails S.O.B. Both Nick and his brother Nate are tall and lanky, but they've got some great ground skills, some serious jiujitsu, and are actually good strikers. They both tapped out Takanori Gomi. BJ has his hands full for sure.

-Matt Mitrione over Cheick Kongo. Mitrione is a much better all around MMA fighter and has good ground skills, whereas Kongo is just pretty much a stand up fighter.

-Roy Nelson over Mirko Cro Cop. A lot of these great fighters from Pride Fighting are way past their prime and don't really do too well in the UFC because they've taken a lot of punishment over the years, they're slower, older, etc. Oh! They also are getting knocked out COLD more often than not since coming to the UFC. It's pretty sad to see them get knocked out completely unconscious from one good shot time and again. Just too PAINFUL to watch!

-I'm going with tough as nails Mr. Vitiligo - Scott Jorgensen over Jeff Curran. I'm going with my theory of fighters having been around for years and having a lot of fights under their belts having lost their speed, quickness, etc. and the blows they've taken in all of their fights adds up taking a toll on their bodies and chins. Curran is a great fighter, though. Jorgensen is a hungry young up and coming fighter so I'm going with him.

-Donald Cerrone over Dennis Siver. Siver is one tough dude, but I think Cerrone is just as tough - if not tougher - and has great all around skills. Plus, he has the height and reach advantage.

-Tyson Griffin over Bart Palaszewski. Griffin is like a little bull dog. Palaszewski's been in a lot of wars in the cage/ring. I think he's taken too much punishment already and is past his prime.

The rest - coin toss! I have no clue. Ok fellow UUers, voice your picks on this post.

Mahalo

Last edited:
Some of the guys in the prelim's list.....I have no idea who they are :)
I agree with your picks again for the most part but I'm going to take Kongo over Mitrione.

Cheers!

Ok, da "Cointossah" is hea! :D Would have been awesome if GSP neva get hurt, but it is what it is, and our boy BJ Penn gets to headline one oddah event! CHEE!!!

MAIN CARD:

-BJ Penn(16-7-2) 5'9", 170lbs vs Nick Diaz(26-7-1) 6'0", 170lbs. - Something tells me BJ going come in strong for this fight. There's a reason why he's favored, he's the better overall fighter. These guys both have great boxing and world class jiujitsu, but Diaz is prone to getting cut and his nose broken, not going fare too well with BJ's heavy hands. This one going the distance I think, and BJ going win unanimous decision. I would like BJ to KO Diaz, but I no see it happening.

-Cheick Kongo(26-6-2) 6'4", 240lbs vs Matt Mitrione(5-0) 6'3", 265lbs - Mitrione might not look like it, but da buggah is one mean athlete! Kongo looks da part, but his chin is questionable. The difference going be Mitrione's chin, he can take a punch and come right back. Kongo got lucky his last fight, buggah was KO'd, but knocked back to consciousness. I beginning to like Mitrione's fight style more and more, hope he goes far, but dat divsion is pretty stacked!

-Mirko Cro Cop(27-9-2, 1NC) 6'2", 220lbs vs Roy Nelson(16-6) 6'0", 263lbs - I agree wit Kimo, some of da Pride guys getting worked when they come to the UFC! But I think the transition more hard because first, get different rules, in Pride you could stomp on somebody's head! And big difference getting backed into the ropes as opposed to smashed into one cage! I like Roy Nelson, but I get one soft spot for Cro Cop. I really hoping he get one big leg kick left in him to KO Grizzly Adams. I going with Cro Cop, in what is likely da legend's last fight.

-Scott Jorgensen(12-4) 5'4", 135lbs vs Jeff Curran(35-13-1) 5'6", 135lbs - Scott Jorgensen going overwhelm Curran. Curran been around da block a few times... ok many times... and experience matters, but da buggah is over already. Jorgensen is going to be too fast for him, and will likely smash Curran. Jorgensen was good enough to fight for da title in the WEC once, and I think he going contend for the title again sometime in da near future.

PRELIMS:

-Hatsu Hioki(24-4-2) 5'11", 145lbs vs George Roop(12-8-1) 6'1", 145lbs - Hioki supposed to be one good one, though I never seen him fight. I just going based on odds, Hioki going win. LoL Roop is no joke, he comes to fight, but from what I gather, Hatsu is one mean one on da ground and I think he submits Mr. Roop in the 2nd round.

-Dennis Siver(19-7) 5'7", 155lbs vs Donald Cerrone(16-3-0, 1NC) 6'0", 155lbs - Cowboy Cerrone, one of my favorite fighters. Man he and Ben Henderson had some major battles in da WEC, was so damn enjoyable to watch. Both of em IMO are contenders for da UFC title, Frankie Edgar won't hold onto it long. Cerrone's ground game is unreal, if he gets your back, pau da fight! But cannot count Siver out, he get massive power, especially with his spinning roundhouse kicks, mean! Siver has been on a nice run, but it ends here. I think Cerrone finds a way to take it to the ground and submits Siver.

-Tyson Griffin(15-5) 5'6", 145lbs vs Bart Palaszewski(33-13) 5'9", 155lbs - Tyson Griffin's career started off solid, going 8-0 before losing to Frankie Edgar. Then went on another win streak, then lost three in a row. When Gomi KO'd him, that was nuts! But I still think with his recent bum run, he's still a good fighter and will take out Palazweski. The level of competition dat Griffin faced over his career already speaks volumes. Plus I cannot back anyone who's nickname is "Bartimus". Griffin by decision.

-Brandon Vera(11-5-0, 1NC) 6'2", 205lbs vs Eliot Marshall(11-4) 6'3", 205lbs - Brandon Vera is back after losing two of his last three... the third fight was a NC due to Thiago Silva messing with drugs. But the "Truth" hasn't been fighting all too well. Vera is so versatile, he can stand and KO you, or submit you with his jits, but he fall into the same trap as Frank Mir, they think they can KO anyone, and they keep trying until they get KO'd themselves! Marshall is a TUF vet, and a decent fighter, but this going be one cakewalk for Vera I think. Vera is stronger in every area of the game, and I think he will overwhelm Marshall with his muay thai. I think this going be a ref stoppage, I can see a muay thai clinch by Vera and heavy knees cracking Marshall's face. Vera by TKO!

-Ramsey Nijem(5-2) 5'11", 155lbs vs Dan Downes(8-2) 6'0", 155lbs - A 1997 George Washington quarter says: Dan Downes

-Chris Camozzi(15-4) 6'3", 185lbs vs Francis Carmont(16-7) 6'3", 185lbs - A 1997 George Washington quarter says: Chris Camozzi

-Dustin Jacoby(6-0) 6'4", 185lbs vs Clifford Starks(7-0) Ht:?, 185lbs - A 1997 George Washington quarter says: Dustin Jacoby

UFC 137 PENN vs DIAZ next Saturday October 29th @ The Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, NV 6pm PT/9pmET

As you all know by now, GSP had to pull out of his scheduled fight against Carlos Condit due to a knee injury. BUMMERS!!! Here's the revised fight card:

MAIN CARD:

-BJ Penn(16-7-2) 5'9", 170lbs vs Nick Diaz(26-7-1) 6'0", 170lbs.

-Cheick Kongo(26-6-2) 6'4", 240lbs vs Matt Mitrione(5-0) 6'3", 265lbs

-Mirko Cro Cop(27-9-2, 1NC) 6'2", 220lbs vs Roy Nelson(16-6) 6'0", 263lbs

-Scott Jorgensen(12-4) 5'4", 135lbs vs Jeff Curran(35-13-1) 5'6", 135lbs

PRELIMS:

-Hatsu Hioki(24-4-2) 5'11", 145lbs vs George Roop(12-8-1) 6'1", 145lbs

-Dennis Siver(19-7) 5'7", 155lbs vs Donald Cerrone(16-3-0, 1NC) 6'0", 155lbs

-Tyson Griffin(15-5) 5'6", 145lbs vs Bart Palaszewski(33-13) 5'9", 155lbs

-Brandon Vera(11-5-0, 1NC) 6'2", 205lbs vs Eliot Marshall(11-4) 6'3", 205lbs

-Ramsey Nijem(5-2) 5'11", 155lbs vs Dan Downes(8-2) 6'0", 155lbs

-Chris Camozzi(15-4) 6'3", 185lbs vs Francis Carmont(16-7) 6'3", 185lbs

-Dustin Jacoby(6-0) 6'4", 185lbs vs Clifford Starks(7-0) Ht:?, 185lbs

Well, that's the UFC 137 fight card. So many of the matches are toss ups. I'll leave the coin toss up to ukestah.

I'm only making picks for a few of the fights, and here they are:

Mahalo

I bolded my pics. I agree with Ukestah though on the Cerreone fight. I like the cowboy. Loved watching him and Ben in WEC and I believe they will come to dominate this weight class soon.

First off, Mahalo v30 & haolejohn for posting your picks! Too bad we don't have a better turnout. It seems to me that only the 4 of us are MMA fans. AetherBlue & uke4life, where are you guys? I noticed that there have been over 200 views on this thread. C'mon UUers - NO SHAME, ah! Feel free to join in and voice your picks and thoughts here on this thread. Oh well! AUWE!!!

My Bruddah Dan - da "ukestah" man!!! I always look forward to your in depth analysis of each fighter and each match up of da known fighters and da particular fight match ups. Ho - Brah! You totally undahstand da MMA fight game; from stand up - striking, to wrestling/grappling, take down defense, jiujitsu, submissions, posturing, etc! Das why MMA rules! Da fighters have to be well rounded in da octagon, if they stay weak in certain areas of their game - den they get exposed and pau hana fo dem!

Like I wen mention befo', I like your "Coin Toss" method fo da fights dat we no stay shua about due to various reasons like: da fighters are unknown, they stay evenly matched, etc. So ... I vote fo you fo be da official "Coin Tossah" Bruddah! "Mistah Coin Tossah" ... sounds good, ah? I like em!

Your picks stay right on da money, Brah! But nothing is fo shua in MMA ... das why so exciting! Da one ting about a lot of da Pride Fighters is dat dey were in their prime in Pride. By da time dey come ovah hea to da UFC, their skills stay diminished, plus dey wen take plenny punishment in their Pride fights and dat all adds up. Dey stay all bus' up already wen dey come to da UFC.

Cannot wait fo da fights tonight! Wish I could be back home and joining you and your friends/Ohana fo watch da fights, enjoying da ono kine grinds, and of course - da kanikapila!!!

Last edited:
Aloha Bruddahs!

Okay ... so UFC 137 pau hana already.

Ho! I was shocked fo see Tyson Griffin get knocked out like that! I guess you could say dat cutting weight took a toll on him. He wen look all weak, small, and shriveled up at da weigh in on Friday ... plus he neva even make weight! He wen weigh in @149lbs and was given one hour fo shed 3lbs - but couldn't do it! I think he stay too big fo da weight class. His natural weight mus be way moa den 145lbs! I guess he wen drop to dis weight class because of da high level of competition in da higher weight classes.

Brandon Vera get plenny boring fights! Das why I neva voice my pick on his fight. I neva think he won by unanimous decision, though. To me, was a much closer fight.

Donald Cerrone is one badass!!! Das all I get fo say.

Roy Nelson took it to Cro Cop. I kind of wen see this coming fo Cro Cop - too bad! It's sad and hahd fo watch these fighters that once dominated or were at the top of their weight classes get destroyed fight after fight more recently. They need to retire.

It was hahd fo watch BJ take so many strikes like he did last night! Diaz had da advantage because of his height and reach advantage. I gotta give BJ credit fo taking all those shots and not getting knocked out. He was still fighting and getting some shots in until the end. Good fo him that he going retire now. He gave us a lot of exciting fights ova da years!

I thought Mitrione was going win fo shua! Kongo toughed it out.

Next fight card is UFC 138 November 5th. Chris Leben vs Mark Munoz, which is da main event fight. I heard that main event fights are now going to be 5 rounds - even if it's not a title fight. The UFC 138 fight card doesn't have very many big names.

November 12 is UFC on Fox, Cain Velasquez vs Junior Dos Santos for the heavyweight title. The only other big fight on the card is Clay Guida vs Ben Henderson. I might go watch this event live - it's being held here in Anaheim, CA.

Until then, hang loose!

Unfortunately... i agree!! All the knocks they take thru out their fighting career really takes a toll on them physically n mentally. I know our local bruddahs goin go down swinging but, when its time for you to go... go down while you still on top!! So BJ goin retire... hats off to you my bruddah for giving us all da thrills n chills, it was worth it!! BJ... YOU WILL ALWAYZ BE TOP DOG IN MY BOOK!!! cheeehuuuu

Top Bottom