Giving a whole new meaning to "babying your uke":)

haolejohn

Reaction score
Been awhile since I posted over here in uke talk but this is too good to not share. Uke players have a tendancy to baby our ukes. We cry anytime it gets a scuff or a scratch (there is a difference) or a crack or a smudge or a...you get the idea. I'm a little different. I think that blemishes add to a uke's character and though I try not to damage my ukes, I don't cry if something minor happens to one of my ukes. I have a fairly new baby (7 months old) and she really loves music. She was welcomed to this world with her daddy playing his 6 string uke as a welcoming committee and she has been around the uke since she was conceived (I think my uke playing led to her being conceived but I'm not sure;)).

Every night before I put her to bed, I play a song for her. Usually it is just random playing or something I am working on but it is a daddy/daughter moment. As she was laying down in the floor chewing on a toy, I took out my KoAloha super concert and strummed a chord. She immediately turned with the biggest smile on her face and crawled over to her daddy. I was playing a worship song so I continued as she climbed into my lap (which the father wants his children to do) and she latched on to the bottom of my uke by the sound hole. She went to town and I jsut kept playing.

My uke now has two very nice looking grooves on the side from her two teeth. My koaloha superconcert is now complete. It has mojo:)

You have such a great attitude about it. glad to hear that your baby is loving your music and you have great bonding time.
Thanks for sharing about it, I love the positive attitude...

Awesome! Gives a new meaning for sure to babying the uke:)!
I gave one of my sons when 3 a uke. He loved it, turned it into a carpet surfboard. It finally couldn't take it. The neck became part of a cigar box soprano and the bust body became a bird house. Funny how things turn out!

Fantastic story! I understand completely. My son is now 16 months old. I first introduced him to the Uke when he was about 4 months old and I began to learn to play it for him. I have teethmarks all over my original Lanikai. I keep my custom in its case, though, as I am not ready to let him get a hold of it. He has a full set of teeth, and likes to lplay with things the way BamBam from the Flintstones does! lol. Anyway, I am hopeful that someday he will share my love of the instrument and decide he wants to play as well. When that day happens, I will open the case and hand him my first custom Uke. That will fill me with joy, pride, and excitement that the same instrument I played for him will be there to be played for his children and so on and so on.

Thanks, that is a great story! Now you have a personalized souvenir to mark a very special moment the two of you shared.

Nice story John. I too have a young one 2 yrs and another one in January. When every I get out a uke my boy with either run over and "play" mine with me or go and grab my beater to play along with me. I can't say I have teeth marks but it is great to see him mimic his daddy.

Awesome! Gives a new meaning for sure to babying the uke:)!
I gave one of my sons when 3 a uke. He loved it, turned it into a carpet surfboard. It finally couldn't take it. The neck became part of a cigar box soprano and the bust body became a bird house. Funny how things turn out!

I have seen your little man with a uke when he was three with a uke. If my memory serves me correctly...he surfed down the stairs with the uke in his hands:)

I wonder if the vibrations help with the teething pain...... :p

It probably does. My wife just asked if I was seriously going to let her chew on it while I played. I just shrugged and asked why not:) I didn't realize there were teeth marks until the next day but as I said...It is just mojo for the uke.

My TallGrass uke has a lot of dried baby slobber on it from when I play it for my 7 mo old. She absolutely loves the uke, and tries to figure out how it's making that sound (as well as fitting it in her mouth).

I have a similar story with a slight twist. My 1940's Martin Tenor, that I inherited from my father, has a set of teeth marks on the upper bout and sides. In this case though, they are from yours truly some 62 years ago. It is a special uke for me for many reasons.

Brad

Love your teethers Brad and John! I was just thinking that you could pass that uke along to your daughter with the story of the teeth marks then Brad goes and says its already been done!

Really enjoyed your post! Thanks for sharing. . .

A great attitude to have about the instruments. I keep all the instruments accessible to my two boys (7 and 5). They understand that they are instruments and not toys, but they are welcome to play them. My fender guitar has received quite a few dings, but they hold the instruments with respect. Our ukes are hanging on the wall for the boys to play as well. I love when they ask to pull down the banjolele to wail on it or just grab their ukes and start playing.

I have a similar story with a slight twist. My 1940's Martin Tenor, that I inherited from my father, has a set of teeth marks on the upper bout and sides. In this case though, they are from yours truly some 62 years ago. It is a special uke for me for many reasons.

Brad

Wow, that's really something!!

Brad

Nice. Now I may have to get a uke from you for her first one. Didn't you build the "Amy" model?

I got a 2 month old. This thread has made me think about asking Kamaka to install some teething nipples about the sides and bout.

Maybe I can put one of those bike bottle holders on the neck so I can feed the boy and sing him a lullaby too.

I get to see my boy in a week and I too plan to sing lullabies to him - everyday.

I also plan to record his sounds. He makes a distinct sounds all the time and I need to capture those and put them to music.

Ever since becoming a father, I can talk baby stories all day long.

I just test tasted a Kiwaya, Howlett uklectic, and a Collings.

I recommend soy sauce on the Kiwaya, mustard on the Uklectic and Tabasco on the Collings.

Aloha John,
If you plan to keep this uke, and pass it down, it sure will have a lot memories and a story to tell the future generstions..truely a family heirloom if you decide to keep it...

Top Bottom