PDA

View Full Version : George Formby

kaizersoza
10-24-2011, 07:00 AM
hi people George Formby's life story on BBC4 on thursday at 9pm BST, told by Frank Skinner :D

Uke Republic
10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Love Formby, only get BBC America here :(

olgoat52
10-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Love Formby, only get BBC America here :( Yeah. That sucks.. Would have been interesting to watch.

we tigers
10-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Afterwards you can probably watch it online with the bbc iplayer. There's a little trick to fool the bbc website that you're British with some software so you can watch it outside the UK. I have digital tv and receive bbc4 so I'll tape it.

spookefoote
10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
You could always use a proxy server
Afterwards you can probably watch it online with the bbc iplayer. There's a little trick to fool the bbc website that you're British with some software so you can watch it outside the UK. I have digital tv and receive bbc4 so I'll tape it.

Uke Whisperer
10-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Read about that this morning and it sounds like it will be a good show. Guess it would require formatting change too? Wish PBS would pick-it-up for replay over here!

spookefoote
10-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Not if you are watching online

Read about that this morning and it sounds like it will be a good show. Guess it would require formatting change too? Wish PBS would pick-it-up for replay over here!

arpie
10-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I hope the ABC picks it up here sometime!! I may even send them a suggestion to do so! Lucky you, Kaizer!
cheers
Roberta

Jnobianchi
10-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Ugh - what's a proxy server? Don't tell me, my head already hurts thinking about it. Just have to watch it in pieces on You Tube...

tantalus
10-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Outside UK, use www.uknova.com and utorrent.

Ambient Doughnut
10-26-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm torn because I love George Formby and Frank Skinner is obviously a real fan, but there's just something I don't like about that guy!
Maybe the show will persuade me otherwise.

we tigers
10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
I on the other hand am not a George Formby fan, but I like Frank Skinner.
I watched it. Really nice documentary with a very enthusiastic Frank Skinner. I didn't really know Formby so to me it was a nice introduction!

arpie
10-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Did anyone manage do download it so it can be put on DVD?

Roberta

Lalz
10-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Aaaah caannnnyyyyyy! Hitting BBC iPlayer tonight then. Cheers man!

arpie
10-28-2011, 11:54 AM
....Aaaah caannnnyyyyyy! Hitting BBC iPlayer tonight then. Cheers man!....

If that's a "YES", I'd LOVE a copy! :D Let me know how you go!

Many thanks

Roberta

Ambient Doughnut
10-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Watched it tonight, was great. Must admit I warmed to Frank a bit, he's clearly a real fan.
The bit with Steven Sproat was 100% of awesome!

ukuleledaveey
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
yeah it wasnt bad, just didnt like when they kept refering the banjolele as a uke, but apart from that it was good and some amazing strumming :) recorded it onto my freeviews hard drive :)

Gillian
10-28-2011, 02:19 PM
It is on YouTube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwEgW5_aik

arpie
10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for that Gillian!! I've got it now! :)

Roberta

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2011, 04:04 PM
It is on YouTube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwEgW5_aik

Thanks Gillian, will watch this tonight. Can't wait... :)

ukegirl
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM
As they say in the UK...Brilliant!! Thanks for the link!!

arpie
10-28-2011, 05:47 PM
If you've got a Mac, you can download it as a movie

Open the video on Youtube, then:

Just hold the "Command/Apple logo" & "Option" key down as well as "A" A screen will come up with the topics of all open windows in BOLD. If the 'you tube' one is 'closed', click on the arrow to the left of the Youtube name. Most of the headings will be 'small' sized KBs - Only ONE line will show:

'x' kb of 'y' MB loading (seen as 98.1 of 281MB in pic)

'x' will continue changing til it becomes the same as 'y'

Double click on that line & a new window should open & shortly after the 'download' screen will pop up & newer Macs start downloading an flv movie file! When fully uploaded just click on the 'name' to give it the correct name.

Being nearly an hour long, it may take a long time to upload.

Older macs may need the .flv' extension added to the 'download' file that shows on the desktop. It will query you whether you want to add '.flv' & click on YES.

It will now open as a separate movie, in Quicktime & you can put it on DVD.

It doesn't work on ALL Youtube videos, but many of them.

Hope this helps some get it uploaded. :)

Roberta

Uke Whisperer
10-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Great documentary! Frank Skinner did a wonderful job. There is no doubt that he is a big fan of Formby!

After viewing, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that George Formby was a great Uke player, not just a great comedian/entertainer!

I'm proud to be a member of the G.F.S.

fabioponta
10-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Thank you for the youtube link!!!!!!!! I make the download with the ANY VIDEO CONVERTER program.

Leodhas
10-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Watched the documentary and found it entertaining but thought a 2/3 part documentary would have been more appropriate for Formby as there were parts they skipped over and I was left wanting! For example, I too believed Formby was from a working class, notoriously hard, lancastrian cotton mill background and not an affluent one! Therefore, if from an affluent background why did he struggle to read and write? Surely he would of had excellent schooling available due to the family wealth? They state at one point his father said " one clown in the family is enough "! One can only surmise from that statement that his father would of insisted on good schooling and not sent him away to be a jockey at 15? Was Formby dyslexic? I assume Formby's father was of working class stock yet that wouldn't of prevented him obtaining good schooling for his son if he had the money, especially in the North West of england.

I also wanted to know if Formby actually had any affairs, they breezed over this without any real in depth questioning. I also wanted to know if he wrote his own songs which I couldn't deduce from the documentary. I also think they could have shown the effect Formby has had on Modern popular music and culture via the beatles and so forth.

For me the Documentary was bang on for what it was, but it wasn't really about Formby, for me it was more about the love Formby fans have for him whilst breezing over subjects that the hour long show didn't give them time to investigate.

Although Scottish, I lived in Salford (for our American friends Salford is like a city within the city of Manchester in the North West of england) from the ages of 11 to 17 as my father had to move the family there for work and our next door neighbour was a big formby fan. Nevertheless, whist being aware of the man from an early age I was never a big Formby fan myself nor did I come to the ukulele via Formby although Formby is the reason I first became aware of ukuleles. However the documentary left me wanting to know more about the man and his music, even as a kid I could appreciate his music and have always loved the window cleaner!

One last thing, someone posted that;

yeah it wasnt bad, just didnt like when they kept refering the banjolele as a uke

Now I'm not sure but that may be a regional colloquialism as I remember when a kid my next door neighbour had a banjolele and he only ever referred to it as a uke and I know a couple of guys here (Edinburgh) who play banjoleles and they refer to them as ukes. In fact as a kid any ukulele I ever saw being played was actually a banjolele, I think I would have been late teens when I first saw an acutual ukulele being played by some jakey (drunk) just off princess street. Anyways, that's by the by, the point for me is i want someone to do an in depth 2-3 part documentary on Formby.

ukuleledaveey
10-30-2011, 01:35 PM
thats interesting about a colloquialism, i hope i didnt offend about my view/opinion about the banjolele,its just i was always told it is a seperate instrument, not saying i am right or wrong :) also possibly because they are banned fromour uke clubi have a in built differential about them, anyway keep on strumming ukes,banjoleles or waht ever :) lol

ksiegel
10-30-2011, 02:45 PM
thats interesting about a colloquialism, i hope i didnt offend about my view/opinion about the banjolele,its just i was always told it is a seperate instrument, not saying i am right or wrong :) also possibly because they are banned fromour uke clubi have a in built differential about them, anyway keep on strumming ukes,banjoleles or waht ever :) lol

Excuse me... Banjo ukes/banjoleles are banned from your uke club?

What kind of elitists are these people? That's like nearly rioting because Bob Dylan played an electric guitar at the Newport Folk Festival!

..... Oh, wait... that actually happened.

Never mind.

-Kurt

ukuleledaveey
10-30-2011, 03:01 PM
yeah they are, not my rules :) im just a member, one of my friends has one and he was asked not to bring it again, it is a antique one, without a resonator, opened bakc so it is actually fairly quiet, it is a beautifully made piece, bloody heavy though, and i had ago and played a couple of george fromby tunes on it :)

arpie
10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
.....Excuse me... Banjo ukes/banjoleles are banned from your uke club?...

Isn't that hilarious!! I had read of other UK uke clubs banning Banjo Ukuleles because they are 'too noisy' & 'they couldn't hear themselves play'!! Easy remedy to that - get one yourself!

It'd be even funnier if they have any members who play Formby Style - as he did use regular shaped ukes initially, but pretty well used Banjo Ukuleles most of the time from quite early on in his career!

....What kind of elitists are these people?...

he, he, I don't know about them being elite - just jealous, I reckon! :p

Funnily enough, My new uke club here in Forster (we have 10-12 regulars so far) just love MY Mainland Banjo Uke - so much so, that 4 have put in orders for one themselves & they are currently in transit from Mike at Mainland, as we speak! So, it looks like, with 50% of our group soon owning Banjo Ukes (make that 60% cos one of the other blokes had already bought a Rally from Ebay as well .....) we are going to be a VERY NOISY CLUB!!! :D

I just call mine a uke too! :)

... I also wanted to know if he wrote his own songs which I couldn't deduce from the documentary....

I don't think he wrote any of the songs - he may have contributed to the theme - I am pretty sure that his wife made sure that his name was ON the songs, so he also collected royalties ....... my belief is that they were written by others.

.....re any affairs ......

I think Beryl kept him on a pretty tight rein - there is youtube footage of Googie Withers saying that she was shooed away by Beryl from the dining table when she went to join him & Beryl for a meal during a break (she was his co-star of the film being made) ........ he may have WANTED to - but as to whether he DID ........ it was just a shame that he died before he was able to enjoy his final years with his then fiancee, as his wife. :(

If he HAD had affairs, I reckon it would have come to light by now .....

Cheers

Roberta

ukuleledaveey
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
:) yeah that is the reason we have been given, that they are to noisey, but i dont mind,, i dont actually play one i like ukes myself, but if anyone wants to play one well it is all groovy with me, it would be a boring world if we were all the same :)

Lalz
10-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Loved the documentary!! I need to learn some Formby songs so I can join that Society in Blackpool hehe. Really cute crowd :-)

arpie
11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
YAY!! FINALLY got to watch it (tho I can't put it on DVD for some reason - I'll keep trying tho!)

When I found my Mainland ukulele in April, I immediately wanted to start to play like George Formby - it may take a while, but I am determined to get there!! Most of my group only strum tho, so no-one to 'practise' with.

Gee, after watching that video, I reckon I should join the GF Society as well!! It's terrific to see such young kids getting into uke as well - I wonder if there are any 'sub groups' around the world - like an American one or Aussie one?

Didn't you love that Blackpool Rock? Absolutely amazing!!

I've got the split stroke down pat & can do the fan stroke - I just can't put it together like they do in the solos! :rolleyes: In my head, I am hearing it correctly but it sure doesn't sound like that on my ukes! Grrrrr

If anyone has been able to master those 'slowed down' videos of the solos still playing in the correct key (like Peter C Nixon shows how to do on Youtube) I'd love to be able to see them in slowmo & try to play along with them!! You can only do it on PCs tho, not Macs & I am a Mac person! :o

More than happy to pay for any DVDs, postage, efforts - whatever - just to give it a go!

Cheers

Roberta

Now I'll go searching Youtube for other GFS gathering vids! :)

ukulefty
11-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Watched that on iPlayer the other night, never knew much about Formby beforehand.

Man some of his strumming is epic!

Uke Whisperer
11-04-2011, 01:53 AM
I enjoyed the Documentary!

I have PC but the programs (including Audacity) and can't seem to get them to work. (Finally found good instructions on You Tube - seaching How to use ....

I visited the local Best Buy Wednesday and spent a while with the Apple representative. He brought-up the Garage Band App and showed me that it would slow them down the Audio like Audacity but said I would have to use the Movie App to do both. I'll plan to go back next Wednesday and let him show me to make sure, because I am seriously considering buying the Apple then.

I finally pushed through the example at the end of Matt's Split Stroke video. Practicing to keep it "clean" at full speed. It was most difficult for me to pick-out the entries to the Triples. My mind really has a problem catching and remembering those type things! Have you tried the Flannelet Night Shirt "slowed-down" version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luZfFe6f5oQ
? I have not complete Window Cleaning yet. Still working on that.

I joined GFS and 1st Vellum I received was the Anniversary Edition. It is great.

Ref your comment "Most of my group only strum", that cool. The solos are really nothing for than strum patterns put together!!

Keep on strumming!

QUOTE=arpie;795705]YAY!! FINALLY got to watch it (tho I can't put it on DVD for some reason - I'll keep trying tho!)

When I found my Mainland ukulele in April, I immediately wanted to start to play like George Formby - it may take a while, but I am determined to get there!! Most of my group only strum the, so no-one to 'practise' with.

Gee, after watching that video, I reckon I should join the GF Society as well!! It's terrific to see such young kids getting into uke as well - I wonder if there are any 'sub groups' around the world - like an American one or Aussie one?

Didn't you love that Blackpool Rock? Absolutely amazing!!

I've got the split stroke down pat & can do the fan stroke - I just can't put it together like they do in the solos! :rolleyes: In my head, I am hearing it correctly but it sure doesn't sound like that on my ukes! Grrrrr

If anyone has been able to master those 'slowed down' videos of the solos still playing in the correct key (like Peter C Nixon shows how to do on Youtube) I'd love to be able to see them in slowmo & try to play along with them!! You can only do it on PCs tho, not Macs & I am a Mac person! :o

More than happy to pay for any DVDs, postage, efforts - whatever - just to give it a go!

Cheers

Roberta

Now I'll go searching Youtube for other GFS gathering vids! :)[/QUOTE]

UkeLad
11-04-2011, 08:26 AM
yeah they are, not my rules :) im just a member, one of my friends has one and he was asked not to bring it again, it is a antique one, without a resonator, opened bakc so it is actually fairly quiet, it is a beautifully made piece, bloody heavy though, and i had ago and played a couple of george fromby tunes on it :)

Sad state of affairs :( Okay... not everyone loves the instrument (Call it Uke, Uke Banjo, Banjolele - all accurate), but to exclude one?

I have a concert and a soprano uke and love 'em - but I also have two uke banjos - a modern 'Ozark' and one by George Houghton & Sons which is possiby 1960s made, or earlier.

More recently I've been trying to master the 'split stroke' and do the Uke Banjo thing Formby style - it's really coming on, but not easy at first - Goerge really did have a talent for this, but would 'dumb it down' and say he wasn't very good - his last tv appearance he confessed to having numerous Ukes all in diferent keys to make it easier - but saying that, he was still very talented and couldn't have strum!

I'm from Wigan, where George was born, and I'll prob. be going playing at a few folk clubs soon - and if ANYONE tells me not to bring the uke banjo, they'll get told something they won't like! I'll take my soprano uke also, but I'm not going to ingnore the Uke Banjo.

Sad too that some people cringe at the mention of Mr. Formby - but hey - try playing "when I'm cleaning windows" properly, and you'll enjoy it... I hope :)

Ambient Doughnut
11-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I think the 'Ukes in different keys' thing was just a little self deprecating joke that keeps being quoted to show his lack of musical ability. It's a nonsense really - he had them in differerent keys as it's necessary to allow him to use the open strings in his split stroke. Which is why songbooks which transpose his songs to a single tuning are useless.

My uke club is a bit snobby about formby too - well some of them are. I put it down to ignorance! ;)

arpie
11-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi Uke Whisperer

Many thanks for those tips re Mac Garage Band! I have it on my newer laptop but haven't 'played with it' yet! I do most of my posting etc on the older desktop (pre Garage Band!) I'll see what I can work out!!

he, he, I finally managed to download the video onto DVD too, so can now watch it 'at will'!

He was such a clever bloke, really - not the fumbling dumbie that he tends to portray on screen.

I love watching the Youtube guys doing the various Formby Solos - tho even the slowed down ones are beyond my ability!! I think I am getting closer to it, but .....

I now have 6 Formby CDs & 'overdose' on them when doing long trips here - 8hr plus - but only when on my own - the other half isn't too fussed on him! :( Maybe I can 'force him into it!'

cheers

Roberta

....My uke club is a bit snobby about formby too..... & .....Sad too that some people cringe at the mention of Mr. Formby.....

Funny about that - even the Queen Mum loved listening to him & I bet Queenie does too!! So much for snob value, eh?? Are they saying that they are 'low life'?

UkeLad
11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
....My uke club is a bit snobby about formby too..... & .....Sad too that some people cringe at the mention of Mr. Formby.....

Funny about that - even the Queen Mum loved listening to him & I bet Queenie does too!! So much for snob value, eh?? Are they saying that they are 'low life'?

I think it's because people don't want the Uke associating with the gent... my Mum can't stand him - but isn't that the way with celebs?

Tiny Tim also - if you mention a uke, how many people do the high pitched 'Tiptoe Through The Tulips' thing? Probably not many now thank God!

If the Queen Mum liked him - good on her!

Liked or loathed, the feller's gone down in history and won't be forgotten - not bad if you ask me! :)

UkeLad
11-05-2011, 09:07 AM

A couple of photos I took yesterday when I was in Wigan Town Centre.