Taylor Ukulele

xmailinhx

Reaction score
So, as some of you may know, it's been rumored that Taylor is coming out with a new uke this Christmas. A lot of people have guessed that it might be the same as the one they've seen Taylor Swift playing before.

Turns out it's not! Starting about 4 - 7 days ago, Taylor started using a different ukulele on tour.....which happens to be a Taylor!

Here's a picture. Sorry if this has already been posted, I haven't seen any pictures other than those from her tour.

:)

Looks like it has a pin bridge like Kanilea. Same headstock style as guitars.

tumblr_lthqizjOBd1qb86xno1_500.jpg

I have this nagging feeling that a Taylor ukulele won't be a low-budget ukulele.. :)

-Tor

Is it just me or does it look like there is bracing that goes in a circle around the sound hole? Very cool anyhow. I'd be interested to see how they sound/turn out.

I think that is the kerfing for the back/sides.

Is it just me or does it look like there is bracing that goes in a circle around the sound hole? Very cool anyhow. I'd be interested to see how they sound/turn out.

I think I recognize that bridge. It is a Kanile'a.

Maybe it is a Kanile'a/Taylor collaboration as Kanile'a uses the Taylor UV gloss finish on their ukes.

It seems Swift has also been playing a uke with a distinctive soundhole made by Leilani discussed in another thread here.

Last edited:
She does, I think Taylor just shipped this out to Swift. Because she's been using that Leilani uke for as long as I can remember. But for the past week or so, I've seen her use nothing but this Taylor
I think I recognize that bridge. It is a Kanile'a.

Maybe it is a Kanile'a/Taylor collaboration as Kanile'a uses the Taylor UV gloss finish on their ukes.

It seems Swift has also been playing a uke with a distinctive soundhole made by Leilani discussed in another thread here.

Taylor makes such good stuff, I'd buy one of these for sure. Does the company have anything to say about this at all - how do we know it is to be released in December?

Well no one knows the exact release date yet, but earlier in the year it was rumored they were releasing a uke for Christmas. Just no one had seen pictures of it yet haha

Got a little news about the Taylor ukulele tonight. My Taylor rep was here for the Taylor Roadshow and I got some details while they were setting up.

There will initially be a limited run of 25 ukuleles. These will be paired with koa guitars that will be sold as a set. In his words, it won't be cheap. He believes they will be showing these at NAMM in January.

Then they will start on their production line of ukes. There were still a lot of things in the planning stage but he was thinking they'd be out sometime next spring or summer. He said there will be some more expensive ukes to compete with Martin's latest offerings, but they're also planning on making some in the $499 to $699 price range to help get their foot in the door.

I asked if he knew what woods they will be using. He thinks they'll be focusing on koa. Taylor is the largest buyer of koa in the musical instrument world (according to him) and they have lots of pieces that aren't big enough for a guitar but will big enough for a uke. He also thought they might be experimenting with Australian Blackwood.

I asked if they will be making all sizes...he thinks they will be but said that no official word has come down about that yet.

He also pointed out that Taylor Swift is using a Taylor uke nowadays.

That's all I remember from the conversation but it's gotten me excited!!!

I too agree it's a Kanilea made for taylor guitar who Joe Souza has a great relationship with so don,t get to excited
That Taylor will make any ukes soon. May have some made but is a Taylor branded uke made by kanilea

I too agree it's a Kanilea made for taylor guitar who Joe Souza has a great relationship with so don,t get to excited
That Taylor will make any ukes soon. May have some made but is a Taylor branded uke made by kanilea

I'm confused...We had word that a man named Andy Powers(?) was making ukuleles for Taylor out of San Diego. Made Taylor Swifts recent ukulele (no pics yet?) but now Taylor ukes are being made by Kanile'a?

Kanilea is closed for today now I will get the full real scoops tomorrow

I would play the hell out of Taylor......swift that is.
Not sure Taylor guitar should get into the buisness of ukuleles.

okay i may look like a kanilea but is made by taylor,,,,very limited suppy not cheap anbd from what i hear comes packaged with a GUITAR...The guy Andy sure copied the llok of a Kanilea though.

Correct, Andy Powers of http://www.andypowersinstruments.com designed these ukuleles.

I've heard there will be 3 models in the production run roughly $600, $1000 & $1500. But all the Taylor reps just have rumors to go off of right now as nothing is set in stone yet.

Check out the latest copy of Taylor's Wood & Steel:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/woodandsteel/

They write that they brought Any Powers onboard, who is a Luthier that designs and builds custom guitars and ukuleles: he's been doing it since age 8. He works in the R&D department developing the new Taylor classical guitar and the Taylor ukulele. He still builds his own instruments that he sells under his own name:

http://www.andypowersinstruments.com/about_us.html

Under "Models", check out Ukuleles, and notice the bridge and the Bridge Pins.

In the article it states "he's been developing some ukulele prototypes, including a tenor uke that Bob Taylor has had a hard time putting down. He also recently made a beautiful Taylor uke for Taylor Swift that she loves and has been playing live on tour."

Last edited:
Top Bottom