PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Ukulele

xmailinhx
10-24-2011, 09:53 AM
So, as some of you may know, it's been rumored that Taylor is coming out with a new uke this Christmas. A lot of people have guessed that it might be the same as the one they've seen Taylor Swift playing before.

Turns out it's not! Starting about 4 - 7 days ago, Taylor started using a different ukulele on tour.....which happens to be a Taylor!

Here's a picture. Sorry if this has already been posted, I haven't seen any pictures other than those from her tour.

(:

Looks like it has a pin bridge like Kanilea. Same headstock style as guitars.

xmailinhx
10-24-2011, 09:56 AM
More pictures:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltkwkxbi1G1qb86xno1_500.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltkws1k7FB1qb86xno1_500.png

Tor
10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I have this nagging feeling that a Taylor ukulele won't be a low-budget ukulele.. :)

-Tor

Brad Bordessa
10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Is it just me or does it look like there is bracing that goes in a circle around the sound hole? Very cool anyhow. I'd be interested to see how they sound/turn out.

xmailinhx
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Here's a video of Taylor using it. Not sure if you can here much over the screaming though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5z52c9iVKY

olgoat52
10-24-2011, 02:53 PM
I think that is the kerfing for the back/sides.

Is it just me or does it look like there is bracing that goes in a circle around the sound hole? Very cool anyhow. I'd be interested to see how they sound/turn out.

Gillian
10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I think I recognize that bridge. It is a Kanile'a.

Maybe it is a Kanile'a/Taylor collaboration as Kanile'a uses the Taylor UV gloss finish on their ukes.

It seems Swift has also been playing a uke with a distinctive soundhole made by Leilani discussed in another thread here.

xmailinhx
10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
She does, I think Taylor just shipped this out to Swift. Because she's been using that Leilani uke for as long as I can remember. But for the past week or so, I've seen her use nothing but this Taylor

I think I recognize that bridge. It is a Kanile'a.

Maybe it is a Kanile'a/Taylor collaboration as Kanile'a uses the Taylor UV gloss finish on their ukes.

It seems Swift has also been playing a uke with a distinctive soundhole made by Leilani discussed in another thread here.

lambchop
10-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Taylor makes such good stuff, I'd buy one of these for sure. Does the company have anything to say about this at all - how do we know it is to be released in December?

philpot
10-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Wowww, that wood is gorgeous. I can't wait to start seeing some videos and hearing how it sounds!

garywj
10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
An R. Taylor uke would be great to see. That's what I'm hoping for :-)

xmailinhx
10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Well no one knows the exact release date yet, but earlier in the year it was rumored they were releasing a uke for Christmas. Just no one had seen pictures of it yet haha

Nuprin
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Got a little news about the Taylor ukulele tonight. My Taylor rep was here for the Taylor Roadshow and I got some details while they were setting up.

There will initially be a limited run of 25 ukuleles. These will be paired with koa guitars that will be sold as a set. In his words, it won't be cheap. He believes they will be showing these at NAMM in January.

Then they will start on their production line of ukes. There were still a lot of things in the planning stage but he was thinking they'd be out sometime next spring or summer. He said there will be some more expensive ukes to compete with Martin's latest offerings, but they're also planning on making some in the $499 to $699 price range to help get their foot in the door.

I asked if he knew what woods they will be using. He thinks they'll be focusing on koa. Taylor is the largest buyer of koa in the musical instrument world (according to him) and they have lots of pieces that aren't big enough for a guitar but will big enough for a uke. He also thought they might be experimenting with Australian Blackwood.

I asked if they will be making all sizes...he thinks they will be but said that no official word has come down about that yet.

He also pointed out that Taylor Swift is using a Taylor uke nowadays.

That's all I remember from the conversation but it's gotten me excited!!!

MGM
11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I too agree it's a Kanilea made for taylor guitar who Joe Souza has a great relationship with so don,t get to excited
That Taylor will make any ukes soon. May have some made but is a Taylor branded uke made by kanilea

haolejohn
11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I too agree it's a Kanilea made for taylor guitar who Joe Souza has a great relationship with so don,t get to excited
That Taylor will make any ukes soon. May have some made but is a Taylor branded uke made by kanilea

I'm confused...We had word that a man named Andy Powers(?) was making ukuleles for Taylor out of San Diego. Made Taylor Swifts recent ukulele (no pics yet?) but now Taylor ukes are being made by Kanile'a?

MGM
11-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Kanilea is closed for today now I will get the full real scoops tomorrow

schmee
11-09-2011, 03:25 AM
I would play the hell out of Taylor......swift that is.
Not sure Taylor guitar should get into the buisness of ukuleles.

MGM
11-09-2011, 06:17 AM
okay i may look like a kanilea but is made by taylor,,,,very limited suppy not cheap anbd from what i hear comes packaged with a GUITAR...The guy Andy sure copied the llok of a Kanilea though.

PedalFreak
11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Correct, Andy Powers of http://www.andypowersinstruments.com designed these ukuleles.

I've heard there will be 3 models in the production run roughly $600, $1000 & $1500. But all the Taylor reps just have rumors to go off of right now as nothing is set in stone yet.

Ron98GT
12-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Check out the latest copy of Taylor's Wood & Steel:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/woodandsteel/

They write that they brought Any Powers onboard, who is a Luthier that designs and builds custom guitars and ukuleles: he's been doing it since age 8. He works in the R&D department developing the new Taylor classical guitar and the Taylor ukulele. He still builds his own instruments that he sells under his own name:

http://www.andypowersinstruments.com/about_us.html

Under "Models", check out Ukuleles, and notice the bridge and the Bridge Pins.

In the article it states "he's been developing some ukulele prototypes, including a tenor uke that Bob Taylor has had a hard time putting down. He also recently made a beautiful Taylor uke for Taylor Swift that she loves and has been playing live on tour."

PoiDog
12-22-2011, 08:09 AM
okay i may look like a kanilea but is made by taylor,,,,very limited suppy not cheap anbd from what i hear comes packaged with a GUITAR...The guy Andy sure copied the llok of a Kanilea though.

I know Kanile'a didn't invent bridge pins, but the entire bridge of this so-called "Taylor" uke is just biting the Kanile'a style way too much. I mean, there is something to be said about trying to get your own look out there. Especially if you plan on being one of the more expensive options out there.

It just strikes me as a bit lazy and, quite honestly, deceitful. If they're going to just lift the entire bridge shape and pin look, why not also make their logo look like Kamakas, and their headstock shaped like KoAloha?

Drew Bear
12-22-2011, 08:46 AM
How old is the Taylor bridge design? Is it possible Kanile'a was inspired by Taylor's guitar bridge design? They do have permission to use Taylor's UV curing process for the glossy finish. I don't know the story behind that relationship.

PedalFreak
12-22-2011, 09:09 AM
The bridge on the ukulele is a mini-Taylor shaped bridge, which Taylor has used since the 70's.

From what I've been told by my Taylor rep, the first batch of ukes are going to be a limited set, of a guitar and matching ukulele, only 25 made. Both will be all Koa. Then in the summer they'll release the full line of ukes. Not 100% set in stone, but that's what he's been hearing and has seen at the factory.

PoiDog
12-22-2011, 11:28 AM
How old is the Taylor bridge design? Is it possible Kanile'a was inspired by Taylor's guitar bridge design? They do have permission to use Taylor's UV curing process for the glossy finish. I don't know the story behind that relationship.

Oh, well, in that case I'll use the immortal words of Emily Latella. "Never mind."

joejeweler
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM

While the outer profile of the Taylor ukulele might look similiar,.....the Kanile'a bridge does not "usually" have wings and is much more squared off with sharp corners. (The Taylor uke has bridge wings in the pics)

I say usually, because those were "features" i did not like on my Kanile'a soprano. I felt the bridge appeared too massive for the soprano, and i like smooth edges on my ukulele bridges.
My solution was to add wings to the Kanile'a bridge and round off both the front and rear leading edges to make for a
much smoother tactile feeling bridge. Adding the wings also makes the bridge appear more in scale for the soprano top size.

My conversion appears below, along with the added scalloped ebony saddle i made and shortened ebony bridge pins.

Thought i would update the bridge pin change i made. The ones i made originally were never intending on being the final ones, as they have a slot cut into the post that is not necessary, and the ebony was not the best looking.

Today i got in my set of 6 ebony guitar bridge pins from Stew-mac,.....unslotted, and the ebony grade is much better.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Acoustic_guitar:_Bridge_and_endpins/Acoustic_Guitar_Bridge_Pins,_Endpins_and_Strap_But tons/Unslotted_Ebony_Bridge_Pins.html

They originally stuck up about 1/8" too high. I pushed them onto the open jaws of my Foredom flexable shaft handpiece while it was in my workbench mounted vise. Carefully pushed on while spinning, it self centers and spins true. Then a small file was used while the pin spins and i could turn down the shaft to get close. (easy to pull the pin out of the handpiece and check the fit often) When it was close i used 320 grit sandpaper, and when really close finished up the shaft with 600 grit paper. The ball ends were similiarly finished off with 600 grit paper, but additionally brought to a high polish with a jewelers polishing compound and small wheel.

All the main work was done while the new pins were full length, as the handpiece jaws leaves small grooves in the ends. Those sections are cut off in the end anyway, but it's much easier to work on the pins this way.

I decided to make them with a little more rounded defination to the top, and fitted them really close to each individual hole. To keep them straight, i came up with a simple way to number them that is easy to see and looks pretty cool. I had some small round ball burs that i cut into the tails of the pins, and painted white into the holes for easy visability. When changing strings it will be easy to get them into the right holes.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Kanilea%20Soprano%20Ukulele%20Changes/DSC03657.jpg

Here you can see the more rounded profile of the mushroom heads. The white plastic pin is one of the originals, the long ebony pin one of the extras from the set of six just purchased. Overall length of the new pins is just 15.5 mm, and they clear the knots by about 1/8" or so.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Kanilea%20Soprano%20Ukulele%20Changes/DSC03660.jpg

...top view:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Kanilea%20Soprano%20Ukulele%20Changes/DSC03676.jpg

.....and the height savings over the original. With the factory bridge hole camphoring, there is plenty of room to get a thumbnail under the pin lip to lift them out when needed.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb200/joejeweler/Kanilea%20Soprano%20Ukulele%20Changes/DSC03671.jpg

One other thing i will do when i change the strings is to rig a small sander to work off the small burs and splinters generated when the drilling thru the bridge and top was completed at the factory. Not necessary, but it will be cleaner and the string knots will seat faster. (and release easier when getting a string out)
You can see the splinters with a mirror and flashlight, and since this is a keeper i'll do the little extras.....

OldePhart
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical in spite of loving my Taylor guitars. But, if they've brought somebody in who knows ukes...maybe I need to take a second look at this. :)

I will say this, Taylor guitars has service second to none. I purchased my Taylor 312CE new in 2001 (it was manufactured in 1999, though). The "wood and steel" magazine has followed me through two moves in spite of my not filling out change of address cards and having no direct contact with Taylor.

When I pulled the Taylor out this Christmas season after it had been sitting in the case since I switched to playing bass 3 years ago, I noticed that the action was getting a little high (not terrible, but all acoustics pull up at some point and this one is getting where it's hard to get clean barre chords with my medicine-damaged hands). So, I call Taylor to find out what it will cost to get the neck reset and any needed fretwork, etc., done (I played this thing pretty heavily up until switching to bass so there is some fretware in the first position). I talked to Chris and he said the neck reset would probably be covered under warranty unless there was an obvious humidity problem (not likely, if anything it would be too dry rather than a "wet guitar). While I was on the phone he e-mailed me very comprehensive instructions on how to pack and ship the uke, even how much it should be ensured for (it's worth more than I thought and more than I paid for it, BTW).

Oh - the part that made this excellent service - when I gave him the model and serial number of the guitar he knew my name, where I lived currently, and where and when I'd purchased the guitar (another city).

John

scottie
12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
The pics of Taylor Swift with the ukulele show a bridge that looks more like a Taylor bridge than a Kanile'a. The bridge saddle is inset and doesn't go all the way through like the Kanile'a. Now, I could be wrong, and Kanile'a may use several bridge shapes. Taylor has a patent on their bridge shape.

Drew Bear
12-22-2011, 04:18 PM
I couldn't find a clear pic of a Taylor uke bridge, but if it's just a mini version of the guitar one, the Kanile'a version is clearly different.

AC Baltimore
12-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I have no doubt it is a stellar instrument, but for the cost I prefer buying from a builder devoted to just ukes.

Ron98GT
12-27-2011, 05:29 AM
I have no doubt it is a stellar instrument, but for the cost I prefer buying from a builder devoted to just ukes.

Yamaha GL 1 :confused:

You should read the article about Andy. These aren't just Taylor designed and built uke's, Their Andy designed Uke's, built by Taylor, with the Taylor warranty and their reputation.

I want one. :drool:

bazmaz
12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
As a Taylor guitar player, I'm interested!