PDA

View Full Version : Cheshire Cat Moon

uke4ia
10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjOXHXIp0M

This is an original song. It has maybe my favorite uke riff I ever came up with. I had a live version of this last spring, but the room was kind of noisy and partly drowned out the song.

When my daughter was about 3 and watched lots and lots of Disney videos, we were outside one evening and she pointed up at the sky. The crescent moon was lying on its side, looking like a smile. She said, "It looks like a Cheshire cat." So ever since I've considered that to be a Cheshire cat moon. I'm pretty convinced a moon like that inspired Lewis Carroll.

Hippie Dribble
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
you could hang your head in shame if I give you enough rope...

what a fabulous song mate. This is really great stuff, your voice is right there in the zone, and the melody shines through. Just an intense vibe, superb lyrics...all round fab. Cheers mate.

uke4ia
10-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks a lot, Eugene.

23skidoo
10-25-2011, 12:52 AM
That is a great riff..... some really nice changes overall, throughout the song. Nice melody and lyrics, as well.... all around great tune, man, and well performed.....

uke4ia
10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks. This was originally an anti-apartheid song I wrote in the mid-80s and never finished the lyrics to. Thankfully, history made the subject of the song irrelevant. But I liked the music too much to let go of it. When I got to play in one of Craig Robertson's Ukulele Noir shows in 2006, I wrote these lyrics for it.

Recycling my old music is now becoming a tradition for me. Since then, I've "re-purposed" other pieces of music I wrote in the '80s into "Dog Head" and "Held Prisoner". And I've got at least two more old songs that will probably be getting new lyrics.