Kala Ukulele Body

sunstrummer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, so bear with me. I'm building a solid body uke, and I want to use the same body shape as a Kala acoustic/electric with a cutaway. I only have acoustic ones with no cutaway. Could someone PLEASE send me a tracing of the body of their acoustic/electric tenor cutaway Kala? It would be a great help.
Mahalo,
Brian "SunStrummer" Ricciardi

P.S. This isn't a huge deal, but could someone maybe provide some mark of the bridge placing and the soundhole? That would be really helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to UU. I wish I could help but i don't have a Kala tenor cutaway. Maybe you could go into a shop that sells them and ask the person at the counter if you could trace the body, or at least take a photo you could work from.

I recently got my hands on a good amount of mahogany, and I was planning to plane the neck to the width and back radius of my Kala Acacia Tenor. Fingerboard-wise, I was going to use some ebony I ordered through Stewart-Macdonald and "inlay" it with custom inlay stickers that show my initials at the twelth fret (a nod to Jake Shimabukuro). I was planning to enforce the neck with carbon rods and glue it in using TiteBond. The only problem is that I'll have to determine how much shallower to cut the neck heel. Either way, this is gonna be interesting!

Only problem with pictures is that the slightest angle makes for a wierdly shaped ukulele. However, I have just found another music store about an hour from me that carries Kala. Maybe they'll let me trace. Still, if anyone can trace their uke it would be a great help.

Top Bottom