Machine Builders

Interesting site. Often times people think they must build from conventional materials like steel or aluminum. Wooden machine parts may not last forever but they don't have too. You can make more.

Now't wrong with wood to make machines..Many old weaving looms and spinners are all timber.. John Harrison made clocks from wood in the 1700's and some of them are still keeping time today...And I made my Son a CNC router machine mostly from 18mm plywood..and that is still turnng out accuate work daily 5 years on....I wonder if i'll ever need a "wasp sucker"

The build quality on that bandsaw looks better than most on the market today. Will probably last longer too.

When I was a kid, a few yrs ago ah hum, my neighbor was always building neat stuff. he was an engineer for a small plastics manufacturing firm. I can still vividly remember the wooden the band saw. many folks used to use a pre-made wheel that was re-purposed. Not this fellow, even made the wheels from wood, trued and balanced them with only a few hand tools. Being that that was his first shop tool at home, he went on to make many other cool shop tools. The coolest thing i remember him making was a large color TV with remote from scratch. I sat and watched him for hours at a time over a period of months. Yep he even built the cabinet for it too. this was about circa '72.

kytim

Hey, Wilbur and Orville made a wood, fabric, and wire airplane in a bicycle shop...and they made their own gas engine for it...

Top Bottom