Just arrived in the post this morning

Timbuck

Reaction score
Following up on recent threads, I realised also, that it's time I retired my old cumbersome heavy duty engineering vice (UK spelling)..and got myself a more sutable one for soprano ukes.:)..Here i am having it for breakfast.
PICT0016-4.jpg

PICT0017-2.jpg

Very handy vise. I used one like that some years ago. You might show a picture of the vise rotated 90 degrees on the column for those who have never seen such. I like the soft removable jaws too.

I was lucky enough a couple months ago to have a friend call me up and say he had just picked up 2 versa vises, basically the origional of this type vise. I love mine, though it did take me a while to wrap my head around the best way to use it for certain neck shaping angles.

nice vice

...eh.

I've heard it used when referring to a nice looking car but other than that....

Strange goings on with the new vice...I now have it mounted on the bench..and found it useful straight away, I like it!...But today!! I was standing outside the shed and I heard a loud sharp metalic click???..follow'd by the sound of something falling to the floor...I went inside the shed to investigate and found one of the magnetic soft jaws was lying on the floor about six feet away from the vice...For the life of me I can't come up with an explanation how it got there..the jaws were loose and there was a 10mm gap between them so it couldn't have sprung out....Theories are welcome.

Sudden burst from the massive solar storm that's pounding the blue ball interacted with all your metal and electric parts in the shop.

That, or the vise misses the Tele.

Mystery solved..No Ghosts, Alians, or Shed goblins..Just "thermo dynamics"..It happened again but this time I was there:)..I realise that I'd left a small simple mitre block in the jaws..I use this to trim linings and braces...The Parrot vice has a cam thing on the movable jaw that locks up when the vice grips the workpiece..as it locks up it slightly moves the front jaw upwards...At this time of the year I use a small fan heater to keep myself warm...as the shed warm's up the vice warm's up and expands..as it expands the grip lessens and the front jaw slightly drops down a few thou....Thus causing the the magnetic soft jaw to flip out and forwards..The workpiece flips backwards onto the workbench..if the the workpiece is clamped high up in the jaws (As in the Pic below) it's almost ready to pop out at any time.....Simple when you think about it:D
PICT0007-3.jpg

Top Bottom