Aquila strings difference

kaizersoza

Reaction score
hi guys what is the difference between the old nylgut strings and the old ones, i know from reading posts on here about there being less friction squeek when sliding up and down the strings but there are 2 types of packaging on sale one in a white pack and one set in a brown pack, which is which? thanx guys
kaizer

Hi kaizer (kaiser is a great beer brand here in Brazil, rsrsrs), :)
The New Nylgut comes with brown pack. It's a little better than the "old" nylgut, that comes in a white/yellow pack.

I have played Nylguts for years and never noticed any friction. I played a new Kala the other day that had a hang tag for the "New Nylguts".
As soon as I strummed I noticed a squeak. It may just be me as I play more Worths and Orcas these days.

@fabio, thanx for clearing that up for me coz i was'nt sure which was which, if i ever get to Brazil you can be sure i will try a kaizer or ten, @sailinguke, i noticed the squeak more on my tenor size than the concert or soprano's it sounds a bit acoustic guitarish, once they settle and you play them a while the squeak disappears, i can't buy orcas in the UK, but I may try worths next time on my mainland or fluke to see what the difference will be
thanx guys
kaizer

hi guys what is the difference between the old nylgut strings and the old ones, i know from reading posts on here about there being less friction squeek when sliding up and down the strings but there are 2 types of packaging on sale one in a white pack and one set in a brown pack, which is which? thanx guys
kaizer

It's been noted the new nylguts seem to settle in quicker also when first put on, which i have noticed also.

The new version also has a smother surface finish, and for fingerstyle i notice less fingernail noise, especially on softer passages

Last edited:
I never liked the 'old' Aquila Nylgut strings, but the 'new' ones - that come in a brown pack - are really very good indeed. I just put some on a crappy, Chinese TNA soprano that I have, and the difference was incredible. The shrill, harsh sound that came with the 'old' Aquilas is gone, in favour of a much rounder, mellower tone. I am very pleasantly surprised.

Personally I didn't notice much difference in sound between the two, but I suppose that depends on the uke. The new ones in the brown package do indeed have a smoother finish, but I still experienced squeaking and other kinds of finger noise with them. Could have been a slightly different kind of noise, but still noise. While I like Nylguts very much on fretless banjos, I never did like them on my ukes. Fluorocarbon is the superior material for uke strings, IMO.

I haven't had the chance to try out the "new" ones...wait they must be the ones on my flea so scratch that, I have tried both but haven't really noticed a huge difference...but I'm a weird one!

Strings by Aurora sells repackaged Silkgut from Aquila for Ukulele that I've really grown to like. Not sure how it compares to the new Nylgut, but I definitely like it more than the old Nylgut. Problem is I haven't been able to find anyone else who sells it. But they also die the strings so you can get them in cool colors.

I've always been playing the "old" ones... I didnt know there were "new" ones.. Hmm. Looks like I need me some new strings to try out.

Top Bottom