New Uke Day!!! 2 Vintage Regals

H

Hippie Dribble

hi all

wanted to share some joy with you, with the arrival yesterday, of 2 'new' vintage Regal soprano ukuleles, both made out of Chicago in the 1930's...

DSCF0064.jpgDSCF0074.jpgDSCF0075.jpg

Last edited:
:drool: That is some fine Ukulele p*** right there :D

The first is a rare custom model, evidently built for a performer of the era. It has gorgeous celluliod binding around the body, fretboard and head, and amazingly, the original decal is beautifully intact. The wood is made from a striking curly mahogany and is just very pretty. The action is perhaps the lowest of any uke I ever played and it sounds gorgeous and so smooth to play, with excellent voume and very crisp and sweet clean tone. Looking forward to recording some tunes with this one. Intonation is spot on and the frets are in great nick. Cost me $350 but for the condition I am very happy with it.

DSCF0066.jpgDSCF0065.jpgDSCF0067.jpgDSCF0068.jpg

The second also cost $350 and is a model I haven't seen before either, also made from Mahogany. It was shipped with it's original green bakelite tuners - this feature was the sucker blow for me. Sadly, when I tried to string it up, the tuners simply dropped out of their slots as they were so worn. Seller didn't tell me but I was very disappointed. I did have a spare set of tuners so replaced them and then tried to string it up, but found the strings kept popping through the bridge slots, as they wouldn't take the tension; this also caused some flaking off of the wood at the G and A slots...aaarrggh...more anger.

By this time I was swearing and cursing so that the next door neighbour could hear me. Feeling as if I'd blown my dough, I went down to the craft shop and bought some beads as a last resort to make it playable...well, they worked a treat!

The uke is all solid mahogany, frets in great shape. The body and soundhole are bound with a pretty green/red/yellow and black arrow design, which also runs up the middle of the fretboard and head. Again, action very low and plays beautifully. I strung it up with a set of worth clears and , while it lacks the volume and punch of it's sister, the intonation is spot on and it has that 'vintage' woody, plinky tone, full of warmth and stories told.

Though I complained bitterly all day yesterday to Stan (sorry mate :eek:) I really like this one and will probably use it as my 'beater' uke...given that I'd sold all my others to fund my mya moe obsession. Worth $350...probably not but it'll get lots of love...

DSCF0069.jpgDSCF0070.jpgDSCF0071.jpgDSCF0072.jpgDSCF0073.jpg

the final shot here is of the bottom of the bridge, where I used some small black beads to secure the strings in place. A small and simple task to most perhaps, but, for a tech dinosaur I was very proud of myself. :eek:

thanks for watching and reading gang!!!

Last edited:
:drool: WOW they are gorgeous, and it seems you got them for a good price to,where did you manage to buy them from, was it in a shop or online ? cant wait to hear them.

:drool: WOW they are gorgeous, and it seems you got them for a good price to,where did you manage to buy them from, was it in a shop or online ? cant wait to hear them.
Hey Dave
the custom was bought from ebay. The other from FMM marketplace. Cheers mate!

Wow those are lovely.....and not something you see everyday. Congrats.....looking forward to some vids with them!

Hey Dave
the custom was bought from ebay. The other from FMM marketplace. Cheers mate!
Your welcome, but they are the best old ukes i have seen in ages , im looking into getting another uke, but as ive only been playing for 9 months im trying to control my UAS, ive whittled it downt to a solid kala soprano or a Ohana, trouble is ive only played the kala :) have a great week and so envious of your new purchases but in a good ukulele way :)

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Wow it looks absoultely awesome...I thought I was going to see a beater...sheesh it looks quite like in their high end side..nice job on the beads too.. I guess if you consider that a beater,
next to all your Mya Moes...I would be proud of that one mate...love all the binding and fretboard...Thank you for sharing. Happy Strummings and enjoy your two new gems.. YF MM Stan
You sure know how to pick them, congrats mate...:shaka::music::drool::)

Last edited:
Beautiful ukes Jon. That first Regal I saw in the Tony Ku Collection book.
Both are pretty special.

Congratulations!

Last edited:
Really nice. Congratulations. I was also watching the custom. Honestly, when you wrote in another thread that you were going for it, I backed off. I felt really bad when you were selling off your ukes a while back. I recall asking you not to be so hard on yourself, hoping you would keep some that you really loved. Anyway, I'm glad you picked these up and hope you enjoy them; I'll enjoy watching you play them on Youtube. Oh, and don't feel bad for me. I'm expecting a 20s Martin 1K on Thursday. I exchanged it for a painting I made about 20 years ago.

Really nice. Congratulations. I was also watching the custom. Honestly, when you wrote in another thread that you were going for it, I backed off. I felt really bad when you were selling off your ukes a while back. I recall asking you not to be so hard on yourself, hoping you would keep some that you really loved. Anyway, I'm glad you picked these up and hope you enjoy them; I'll enjoy watching you play them on Youtube. Oh, and don't feel bad for me. I'm expecting a 20s Martin 1K on Thursday. I exchanged it for a painting I made about 20 years ago.

thanks for your thoughts hmgberg. Can I just say mate that I always appreciate your wisdom and knowledge, and insightful comments on these forums. You have much knowledge about this stuff and share it so freely, so thanks.

re the buying and selling...I seem to go in phases of manic activity...in either direction. I had over 30+ ukes at one point and whittled it down to 5...now I'm back up again to 8. A bit of an OCD and depressive thing I have going on!!! I appreciate your backing off that bid on the custom...not sure I know many who would have done that. And sincerest congrats on the Martin 1K, hope you'll share some of your impressions in words and pictures mate.

Beautiful ukes Jon. That first Regal I saw in the Tony Ku Collection book.
Both are pretty special.

Congratulations!
cheers Hodge, will have to look up that particular book. Certainly curious to know more of the history of both these ukuleles. Blessings mate.

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Wow it looks absoultely awesome...I thought I was going to see a beater...sheesh it looks quite like in their high end side..nice job on the beads too.. I guess if you consider that a beater,
next to all your Mya Moes...I would be proud of that one mate...love all the binding and fretboard...Thank you for sharing. Happy Strummings and enjoy your two new gems.. YF MM Stan
You sure know how to pick them, congrats mate...:shaka::music::drool::)
thanks Stan, both are definitely not the average regal I don't think.

And yeah, they are very pretty...I'm a sucker for the pretty ones it seems...

and thanks Bruddah for the calming words yesterday in the midst of all my bluster and stress, I really appreciate it mate.

Sweet look'n vintage ukes! Congrats! Two ukes at a time? Keep that up and you'll be right back up to <GASP> 30 ukes! lol
cheers Trin. he he...a 'little' more controlled these days...when I think to buy I always make sure to sell too!!!

Two really amazing ukuleles. Blown away by the custom one....who would beleive it is about 75 years old ! And that mohagany :cool:

Top Bottom