PDA

View Full Version : Had my first lesson today...

Gadzukes!
10-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I've been teaching myself for a while now, but thought I would benefit from having someone who could help me with some of the things that are challenging me. Unfortunately, my instructor (who has been a guitar player for 30 years) was "new" to the ukulele. He had never heard of chunking, he did all of his strumming using his thumb, and he didn't know the difference between a tenor and concert ukulele. Of note is that he teaches at our local music academy, it isn't like I found some random guy pinned on a bulletin board at the coffee shop. He was still able to give me a few pointers, but I think I'll have to keep looking.

vanflynn
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
It's like life. Grab pointers where ever you can but always take it with a grain of salt. Dance to your own beat and be true to yourself. It's all about enjoyment. Happy strummin' and post some songs for us when you're ready.

mangorockfish
10-25-2011, 05:21 PM
I've about decided that UUU or UU+ is the way to go to get the real McCoy.

Gadzukes!
10-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Now's someone's chance to sell me on UU+ as opposed to just watching the uke minute videos or YouTube. ;)

vanflynn
10-25-2011, 05:56 PM
$15 bucks is a great price vice private tutor. Give 'er a try.

mm stan
10-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Great Gadzukes,
Find a teacher that teaches at your pace not theirs...you can always learn from anybody...retain the important stuff... and no fillers...ha ha

rook
10-25-2011, 07:26 PM
I've about decided that UUU or UU+ is the way to go to get the real McCoy.

I have been thinking about going this route myself but I don't really understand how it works completely, to be honest.
I work 60+ hrs a week...so can I later refer to the lessons and for how long or do I have to be there and that's it?

PhilUSAFRet
10-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Wow, that guy shouldn't bill himself as a uke instructor.....practically fraud. I getting all that from my uke meetup group. Hope you can find a group to play with soon...even if you have to create one.

FlyedPiper
10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah, UUU and a ukulele meetup group is the way to go. No need to spend a ton of money on a uke instructor. I think ukulele is a very informal instrument, and as you hang out with other uke players you will pick up things you can try out and modify for yourself. Charging for uke lessons is a crying shame, IMO. Unless it's a nominal fee just to keep things running. Youtube and the internet is a good resource if other live uke players can't be found.

PoiDog
10-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Sounds to me like you found some guy who thinks the uke is a gimmick instrument and wanted to make some fast cash of what he believed was little more than a fad.

That may be a harsh and unfair assessment, but based on your story, it sure seems like it. I mean, it really shouldn't be too much to ask to have a teacher actually know about the topic before they take on a student. Or am I being unreasonable?

sugengshi
10-31-2011, 07:37 PM
I found the information on the UU is very useful to learn how to play the Ukulele quickly. Be prepared to spend endless time exploring through the resources section. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?15464-Ukulele-Resources-(Updated) There are just so much information there shared by selfless members in the UU forum. You would learn faster and save much time by going through the rich content of the forum. I just love UU. :drool:

Ukulele JJ
11-01-2011, 03:08 AM
Sounds to me like you found some guy who thinks the uke is a gimmick instrument and wanted to make some fast cash of what he believed was little more than a fad.

My thoughts exactly. Or, if not a gimmick instrument, then at least "nothing more than a little guitar".

I'm seeing this around Nashville too, by the way. I guess it's a trend. Music shops that apparently point to their guitar teacher and say "Hey, you could probably teach ukulele too, right? I'll put 'now offering uke lessons' on the website then!"

JJ

sukie
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
My thoughts exactly. Or, if not a gimmick instrument, then at least "nothing more than a little guitar".

I'm seeing this around Nashville too, by the way. I guess it's a trend. Music shops that apparently point to their guitar teacher and say "Hey, you could probably teach ukulele too, right? I'll put 'now offering uke lessons' on the website then!"

JJ

Very true. When I first started playing I took lessons locally. I quickly realized they didn't really know how to play the ukulele. I am grateful for some basics I got from them but I think it actully held me back. They didn't know any Uke "tricks". Keep looking for an instructor. I take my lessons over Skype. It amazes me how he sees all the little (and big) things I do wrong. Ere are some great Skype teahers out there.

olgoat52
11-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Not sure what style you like but Rob Bourossa teaches over Skype. He is a guitarist and a really impressive uke'ist (is that a word?) but not in the Hawaiian style. Tons of theory and really capable and a fun guy as well. http://www.bourassaguitarstudio.com/guitarstudiocontact.htm I thought his prices were exceptional.

Another guys is Gerald Ross. Not sure if he teaches over skype too. Again, not Hawaiian but an amazing uke, guitar, lap steel player. RyRod here at UU knows both of them. They live in Michigan.

Jumping Flea from UU also teaches on Skype. He has a lot of chops for a young player. Don't know what his teaching skills are.