Individual Non-Wound Low G String

iamfroogle

Reaction score
Hey there UU, would anyone know of a reliable place where I can purchase an individual non-wound low G string? I hear good review for the worth brown but I don't want to switch out all aquila strings which are relatively new just for a low g, also it would be much cheaper. I emailed worth website and the email got bounced and called elderly instrument but they do not sell in individually. So perferably i would like worth brown low g non wound but any low g non wound would do.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks!

I believe Fremont blacks come singly.

And I like to use flourocarbon fishing line (seaguar)... Cheap and I have spools of 'em already lyin' around for stringing up the ukes my elementary school aged uke students use... so even cheaper.

Worth Clears and Browns used to come in low G, four pack. I used to find them at Ukuleleworld.com, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. I am glad I bought up a few when they were still available.

–Lori

Seems like a few folks have used a classical guitar string, but can't remember details. I want one too. Hilo low g wound string steel? Rusting badly and they are practically new. C string alloy....no problems. Maybe Southcoast will sell one?

Thank you~ I just ordered 2 soprano/concert low G strings from Mele. $3 each, 4 dollars postage (too high, but worth it for me in this case).

Last edited:
Elderly has lots of single strings (not Worths though). I have some Aquilla single concert Lo Gs coming. Click on strings and then click on single strings. Its a mix of all instrument types so you need to do some surfing to fine the size/string you want.

I wouldn't guess you would really save a lot of money doing this. Packaging and shipping make up a lot of the cost of a set of strings, and it's not a lot less to do 1 than it is all 4.

More importantly, you don't have a very balanced set any more. A non-wound low 4th, no matter who you get it from, or what formulation it is, is a very soft sounding string. A good set will pair it with other strings that give an even tone.

A high re-entrant set, of course, has a much brighter 4th string, and we, at least, and most other string companies, I would hope, would adjust the selection of the complimentary strings accordingly.

Can't speak for every situation, but in a lot of cases adding one of these strings to a set designed for another sound gives you a 4th string that sounds like a duck out of water.

^ Yep.:cool:

I'd try Worth again. They are super pleasant to deal with as long as you don't mind sort-of-funny-English. Like someone said before, it would make sense to restring with a whole set. Knowing how Worths and Aquilas sound, I can't imagine the transition between the two would be that smooth.

Am I the only one here who actually likes Wound Low G strings?

I think for practicality, wound G strings are wound for a reason.

I went on a long and costly hunt for unwound G strings and came to the conclusion that wounds are better overall.

I'm considering ordering this single freemont non-wound. But does any one know how it would sound with with the aquila C E A strings?

thanks

As described by Southcoast ukes in the post above, it will sound rather out of place. It will sound unbalanced, too quiet to be heard properly and feel floppy too.

It's unbalanced if the CEA strings were Fremonts too, so good luck mixing it up with the super-vibrant Aquilas!

Last edited:
As described by Southcoast ukes in the post above, it will sound rather out of place. It will sound unbalanced, too quiet to be heard properly and feel floppy too.

It's unbalanced if the CEA strings were Fremonts too, so good luck mixing it up with the super-vibrant Aquilas!

Why would it be unbalanced even with a full set of fremonts CEA?

Last edited:
Why would it be unbalanced even with a full set of fremonts CEA?

Because the unwound low-g strings don't have the strong sound that the other normal strings have (maybe it's because the large size mutes their own vibration). It's a trade off: have an unwound low-g that is a little soft or have a wound one that overpowers. For me, the g string is a "harmony" string anyways (you almost never play melody on it), so I don't feel that it needs to be as loud.

Because the unwound low-g strings don't have the strong sound that the other normal strings have (maybe it's because the large size mutes their own vibration). It's a trade off: have an unwound low-g that is a little soft or have a wound one that overpowers. For me, the g string is a "harmony" string anyways (you almost never play melody on it), so I don't feel that it needs to be as loud.

hg-

There are always situations where an unbalanced set-up will suit a particular player's style - as in your case. You perfectly described the good and bad sides of these two options, as well as one of the reasons why.

Since we want to offer balanced sets, it's why we don't offer either one. With the unwound low 4th, we offer it for Baritones. There it can have both a thinner diameter and a better tension, giving it much better overall performance. (Our Linear Ukulele set).

The wound string sounds out of place in part because it is somewhat bright, but even more so because it is adjacent to the thickest, dullest of your treble strings. It is a horrible transition from 4-3.

In that case we offer set-ups with two wound strings - the G650s come in both polished round wound and "squeak-free" flat wound sets that give you a low 4th set-up with excellent balance.

Still, people continue to try to make one of these other options sound good. It's the reason there are probably more threads on this topic than any other.

Top Bottom