Need some help deciding on new uke purchase

uke671

Reaction score
alright folks, i need some help on deciding on a new uke. My price range is between $300 - $400. With that said, the current ones that I have my eye are all from Kala. They are the Mango, Koa w/solid Cedartop, and Koa w/sitka spruce top tenors. All are the acoustic/electric types. I've been playing for roughly 2 yrs. I've asked MGM which one is the best for the money and sound and he says the Koa w/solid Cedartop. I guess I just want to get more input. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:confused:

Both are good for the $$$. I'd pick the one that SOUNDS the best....but then you have to define "best". Is it tone, brightness, a combination, etc. You should describe "best" to MGM and then ask him. Also, Have you played a Kala? I'd suggest that you play one if possible to make sure the feel works for you too.

Are there no stores in your vicinity? I would certainly recommend picking up a few in a store, and then decide. It's your money and your taste, if you like the sound it's yours. Or I'm yours, whatever.
At the very least, try to find a place to fondle the uke MGM advises you to get. You can always decide to order from him later because of his famous setup magic.

Honestly, you'll be happy with either one. MGM certainly would not steer you wrong. Personally, I'm with MGM on this one, just because I prefer the look of the cedar over the spruce. They both sound great.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply....I haven't played a Kala before. My brother-in-law has a Makala made by Kala and feels really good. I like the action it has. so hopefully that's some indication of how an actually Kala feels. There are stores out here but majority of em sell Lanikai's (nothing wrong with that, I have a Lanikai myself) and the rest sell the toy ones so no hope there. What I'm looking for is something that carries a low-g really good (that should narrow it down right?) punchy yet mellow.

Top Bottom