Cost of installing acoustic stuff in a Ukulele?..

notalent31

Reaction score
I'd really like to hear some better/interesting sounds from my baritone
ukulele. I've got two (2) baritone ukes that I"d like to have that done to.

I suspect that there's a few different types of acoustic hardware to
choose from, going from cheap to expensive...

I just want to get some "acoustic sounds" from my ukes, but I've no
idea what the cost would be.

Does anyone have any idea of the cost?..

thanks

What's "acoustic stuff" ... do you mean "electronics"?
Sorry for the silly question, because that would be the opposite.

Yes, acoustic pickup, which would then require a hole to be drilled into the bottom of the uke. As to what kind of
acoustic brand of pick up to be installed, I have no idea. Sorry I called it "Stuff".....I simply forgot what the correct
name for this installation was called.

I would also like to get an amplifier after this "acoustic pick up" work is done on the uke.. I just checked out "Roland Micro Cube"
on youtube to see what it sounded like, and I can truthlfully say,I don't like those sounds at all. I"m an 80 year old man, and
the music I like is certainly not of this generation. So, is there any hope for me?...

So, can someone suggest a few uke amplifiers that would allow me to just change the sounds of
the baritone ukes I play?...no rock please!... okay, I anxiously await your interesting replies!...

I think I understand notalent. Not sure where you live. There are many pickups available and cost of installation can exceed cost of the pickup in some cases. Perhaps you may be happy with an acoustic "stick on" pickup....temporary easily removable putty. While an acoustic amplifier would work best, any inexpensive guitar amp would work. Most have headphone jacks, enabling you to turn up the volume and enjoy without disturbing anyone else. They range from under $100 to several hundreds of dollars. There is even a "headphone amp" which doesn't involve a speaker set up....headphones only. The size of an amp is determined by your needs. (practice/self enjoyment only, playing for others, size of room, tone/volume expectations, budget, etc. etc.) If you can be a little more specific, you can get better guidance. Check here for info if you haven't already:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...s-Mics-Preamps-Amps-Feedback&highlight=pickup

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2552608

Last edited:
I like MISI pickups as well as K&K for their sound and price point, which is a real consideration when you are adding them to an instrument the size and average cost of a ukulele.

The MISI will require internal installation by someone who knows what they are doing, as will the K&K for their internal option. They do have external ones and you could install yourself if you want to go that route, but aren't my first choice.

As far as amps go, there is a huge choice out there, and as I'm no expert will let others offer their advice here.

First off, "better" and "interesting" are two entirely different things, and may lead you into two entirely different paths.

Let's start with "better" - if you don't like the sound coming out of your instruments now, get another instrument. The only thing a pickup will do is make your instrument louder, not necessarily better, especially if its run dry. Or, taken in a negative connotation - a pickup makes a crappy instrument sound crappy, only louder.

For different, then you're probably talking about effects. Yes, a pickup would be good. Get a good one at that (so you don't get any feedback), especially if you're going to add in effects. I like LR Baggs now, Fishman in the past (sort of like the new Matrix though) - yeah, I lean towards Undersaddles that require surgery to install. The Baggs can feedback under the wrong conditions (which can be notched if you have DI like Baggs' Para-Acoustic or Venue).

Not sure about the available effects on combo amps; maybe you should try out Rick's Mama Bear or Fishman's Aura - not sure how it would work on an ukulele, or if those sounds are what you're looking for. Maybe even Tech21's Para Driver DI or Radial's PZ-Pre Acoustic DI (I use Radial's Bassbone - don't really need it with my on board preamp, but it comes in handy when the battery dies; I'm looking at getting a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver).

-Aaron

The new LR Baggs "Five-0" looks interesting. It's made for the ukulele and includes a volume control. 300 hours of play from one coin type battery. My samples arrive today.

Top Bottom