The Yasuma Returns

I was just checking to make sure that someone had posted a warning.... Glad you have!
If you're thinking about buying that uke, at least read the previous threads about it!

It makes me sad this uke keeps popping up. We never got confirmation of a bowed neck, and a bad bridge repair is remedied easily enough.

Poor little uke making the rounds through the used market.

Hey Guys and Gals -

I have the Yasuma listed on FMM. I bought it from the guy in Santa Barbara off craigslist. I did not read the thread here before buying it. Don't know if it would have changed my decision. I've bought and sold a bunch of ukuleles via FMM (in fact, I think I was talking to Ernie some time ago about selling him a Kamaka tenor). I try to be as forthcoming about the condition of the instruments as possible. In my opinion, the problem with this uke is simply the bridge. It needs to be removed by somebody who knows what the are doing and then re-glued. The bowing of the soundboard is pronounced but really not too much more than many other ukes that I've owned. And it would probably be improved by a getting the bridge secured. I'm not a tenor guy so I'm not sure what action is supposed to be but I measured about 3/16ths of an inch at the 12th fret. Intonation seems decent. I actually think this is a great uke for the right person. My reputation as a seller (and integrity as a human) matters to me so I wanted to set the record straight.

David

Hi David

Did you get a luthier to look at it? There has been so much said about this uke that's it's putting people off. Two separate owners, one being Ernie bought it from the guy in Carpenteria and returned it. If it was a simple reglueing of the bridge, I would think the price of around $300 would have been attractive back then. However, people are shying away. I've never seen it but giving you the inside scoop on this uke. Good luck. I'm sure someone who knows a lot of ukes and caring for it, will email you.

Last edited:
Hi David,
I'm glad you chimed in here. When I pointed out to my good friend Tom B. that the Yasuma had resurfaced, he looked at your ad and wrote back to say that he had dealt with you, and that you were a stand-up guy.
Unfortunately, the ebay (and Craigslist) seller of the Yasuma wasn't. He sold the uke to me, and to one previous buyer without being at all honest about it's condition. I personally didn't feel that fixing the bridge would adjust the action enough for it to be a comfortable player. I have no idea what you paid for it, but hope you are able to recover your investment on it (and I hope that it can and will be restored to playable condition, so that someone can make music with it again!

Hi Ernie -

Thanks for the message. I'm a catch and release collector so it's good to hear that Tom B. had good experiences in our past transactions. The seller of the Yasuma was less than forthcoming about the condition of the uke prior to purchase. Unfortunately, I did the transaction through craigslist so didn't have any recourse. I still think there is great hope for this ukulele. I'm actually planning on bringing the uke to a luthier in town who builds custom archtop electrics and have him remove and re-glue the bridge. I think that effort coupled with a slight shaving of the saddle should get the action to a really nice place. I'll keep everyone posted...

This poor uke needs a new lease on life. I hope you can save it. Please keep us all posted!

I just had mine out for an hour an it is easier to play than my Kanile'a. I couldn't part with it. I hope this one can get properly settled and find someone who will feel about it the way I do mine. I tried to snag a Yasuma bari off eBay a week or so back and missed it. I haven't seen one up for sale before, just tenors and a couple of sopranos waaay back. Do please let us know, what a story.

I tried for that baritone too!
8^)
I used to own one.... wish I hadn't sold it.

Top Bottom