Anyone have experience with....

love 'em. i use them on my MP, Kala, Harmony, and Bugsgear.

try a set. see if you like em. all it'll cost ya is a couple of bucks and a little time. ;)

I have heard there are new Golds now. I've had a set on one of my tenors for a couple of years now (I'm assuming they are the old Golds) and I just picked it up and strummed it a bit after seeing this thread and after two years there is nothing dull about the ones on my number 002 mahogany tenor.

Ko'olau golds seem to greatly appeal to a few people, and not at all to a lot of people, in my experience.

They are VERY mellow strings, and I do not have the skills to bring out good tone or any sustain from these strings - when I play 'em, they sound dead as a doornail. They are also higher tension strings than I generally play.

If you play with your fingernails, like a classical player, you can get a broader tonal palette and more dynamics out of them. Or maybe if you are hard player, and/or have an instrument that needs to be toned down in brightness (in which case, I would use the Worth Brown's or maybe D'Addario's rather than the Ko'olau golds).

Words from a happy mediocre player...

Top Bottom