PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with....

KoloheBoy
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
the ko'olau Gold strings?

thejumpingflea
09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
the ko'olau Gold strings?

I had them on my Kamaka Concert Deluxe for a while.

I hated them. They were VERY mellow and gave a dull sound IMHO.

They could sound good on the right uke I am sure though.

Neil Cursed Diamond
09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I know they have some fans but there weren't for me. I agree, They were too dull for me.

haole
09-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Definitely mellow. But they work great on a bright, loud, poppy uke. :D

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
love 'em. i use them on my MP, Kala, Harmony, and Bugsgear.

try a set. see if you like em. all it'll cost ya is a couple of bucks and a little time. ;)

russ_buss
09-11-2008, 06:43 PM
i have them on two of my ukes. no complaints here.

Dominator
09-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I have heard there are new Golds now. I've had a set on one of my tenors for a couple of years now (I'm assuming they are the old Golds) and I just picked it up and strummed it a bit after seeing this thread and after two years there is nothing dull about the ones on my number 002 mahogany tenor.

LoMa
09-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Ko'olau golds seem to greatly appeal to a few people, and not at all to a lot of people, in my experience.

They are VERY mellow strings, and I do not have the skills to bring out good tone or any sustain from these strings - when I play 'em, they sound dead as a doornail. They are also higher tension strings than I generally play.

If you play with your fingernails, like a classical player, you can get a broader tonal palette and more dynamics out of them. Or maybe if you are hard player, and/or have an instrument that needs to be toned down in brightness (in which case, I would use the Worth Brown's or maybe D'Addario's rather than the Ko'olau golds).

Words from a happy mediocre player...

Ukuleleblues
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
They sound great on some ukes on some I've had trouble starying in tune seem to be real sensitve to changes in temp....but only on some ukes. It's weird.

Guting
09-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Had em two sets back, felt and sounded like the DAddarios.