What wood?

Gmoney

Reaction score
Had dinner in Atlanta last night & the table was this huge slab of beautiful wood. From this photo, what kind of wood is it??

300047_10150337968430423_503390422_8392215_1098501670_n.jpg

It sure "wood" make for pretty ukes! I wanted to drag it home or to my friend the luthier to slice into a years worth of ukes!

Some sort of quartersawn Oak? Looks like a ray and flake pattern maybe with a tinted filler? Found in alot of Arts and Crafts furniture.

You know, I keep asking myself similar questions when sitting down at a wood table- e.g. "I wonder if I could make a solid-body pineapple uke out of this..."

I think I saw that someone way back made a solid body uke out of an ikea table...

That looks like it could be live oak. Did it have a feather type figure pattern? could also be water oak, or Laural oak... not that there is much difference.
I will see if Viable Lumber have any qs live oak around that is dry... shoot me a pm if you are interested in some...

Here is a pic of the figure that is common in live oak, it is a piece of a shattered limb. The trunk is about 16' long of clear wood before the crown, and is about 40" diameter... It should be getting cut into slabs in a few weeks. This tree came down because it started leaning toward the house, one good storm and it would have gone right through the middle of the house.

let me know if you want to see pics of a 6' diameter eucalyptus that came down in a subdivision and somehow missed 3 houses. It should be getting sawn in a few weeks as well.

Attachments

• IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom