Want to ramp up production?

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
A mate (Localele) sent me a link to this and thought you might get a kick out of it. Might have to get some more help in the shop to take care of all the soundboards that will be ready to go.

Super funny! :rofl: I'm so careful with my tonewood, like it's made of gossamer wings. .. and this sander is just blasting them out!

Those things have been around for a while, mostly used in Japan. It is basically a powered hand plane. They leave an amazingly smooth surface.

I recall seeing an add in the Lee Valley catalogue about 30 years ago for a rig that did this and as back then there was no video and all I just passed it off as something that couldn't possibly work. I had a look at a bunch of youtube videos on the ones available and they look to do a fantastic job on softwoods. Didn't see one that tried any figured hardwood though.

If one ever came my way I wouldn't pass it up though.

Maybe they are using very well behaved and very friendly wood, rather like those hand plane long shaving contests that they hold in Japan. It might struggle on 2 piece Tops/Backs with any hint of runout though. There has to be a reason why folk are using sanders rather than power planers.

Maybe they are using very well behaved and very friendly wood, rather like those hand plane long shaving contests that they hold in Japan. It might struggle on 2 piece Tops/Backs with any hint of runout though. There has to be a reason why folk are using sanders rather than power planers.

Sanders are more versatile and can run longer, wider material and just about any species whereas this machine is limited in that capability. When buying equipment, most small shops are looking at something that can do a variety of things versus having a piece of equipment that is committed to just one or two operations. Whereas large shops can afford to have a machine that does one or two things very well.

I think I'd rather have that thing in my kitchen cutting cheese.

Like all cutting tools - sharp edge, fine cut. Why assume because it is a machine that we are unfamiliar with that it would do a rubbish job?

It's really no different from a veneer slicer, and when they are really sharp, they can handle anything. Ditto a good sharp hand plane. Note, too, that the blade on these machines can be adjusted to different skew angles.

Top Bottom