Which online uke sources do setup these days?

trixielarue

Reaction score
With MGM out of the uke business do any other businesses who do mail order do quality setup besides HMS? If I buy ukes, I'd like to know that they have been properly setup, but as far as I am aware HMS is the only source that does a good job of setting up their ukes. I know that Hilo Guitars sets their ukes up, but they don't advertise specific ukes on the internet. Do any of you know of other quality sources on the internet who do quality setup?

I have personally bought set up ukes from Mim and from Hawaii Music Supply. They are both great to play and sound a heck of lot better than the uke I foolishly bought from Amazon. My next ukulele is coming from Mike at Uke Republic because I won't make the no set up mistake again.

Nix

With MGM out of the uke business do any other businesses who do mail order do quality setup besides HMS?

MGM is NOT out of the `ukulele business. Call him - he is still selling, but not the cheap ass Kala crap anymore which he blew out last weekend at a garage sale (okay, he may still have a few left).

Just to note - MGM didn't do what I'd consider a quality setup on most of his instruments - he adjusted the action to better than factory, and hit the frets if needed. Only his midrange to higher end instruments would have a better setup, either by him, or the builders (I should know). So, that leaves MGM in a situation where yes, he is still selling, and yes, his instruments should come to you with good playability.

If you want your instrument setup properly, find someone local, AFTER your instrument has acclimated to your area, no matter who you bought it from. If your builder is local, better yet, should be no extra charge.

-Aaron

I am glad to hear that MGM is doing well. Last I heard, he was in the hospital. I wish him well! I bought a Kala KA-S from him, and it played great!

Elderly Instruments does setups too.

See the post about the Lanikai sale till Nov. 3.

Top Bottom