PDA

View Full Version : House of the Rising Sun

elisdad
10-28-2011, 09:07 AM
I just did a cover of House of the Rising Sun. I just switched to a set of worth clear high G from Aquila low g. I like how the worth strings feel and I am liking the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_e53V6wWo&feature=player_profilepage

here is the link for those of you who can't see the embedded video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_e53V6wWo&feature=player_profilepage

23skidoo
10-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Sounds great, elisdad..... like the picking intro and outro.... and the Worth strings sound really nice on that Mainland.... well done, man!

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
this is nice stuff bro. Sweet strummin and your finger picking technique is awesome. Great version, cheers mate! Welcome to the joys of worth clears!!!!! I love em too..your uke's sounding really nice with those.

OldePhart
10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Great job! It's kind of funny. I've been working up a version of this song and was thinking I might do a video this weekend! I think yours is nicer, though, so maybe I'll wait a bit. :)

Edit: Hey, on second listen I heard a verse I've not heard before. Did you write the "fills his glass up to the brim and pushes those cards around" verse?

I've written a verse about "little brother" that I use to balance the little sister verse.

John

elisdad
10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
23Skidoo thanks for watching and the kind words. I am working hard at trying to improve, but a long way from where I want to be.

EugeneUkulele I sure hope that I get to the point of playing at your level some day. Your videos are my favorite!

OldePharte, I didn't write that verse. There are so many different versions of this one, it seems like you can find all kinds of cool lines/versus. There is no need to wait on making a video. I really enjoy this song and I would love to see your version. Fire up the video camera and start strumming!

v30
10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Nice job. I too liked the into and outro picking...it was a nice touch. Cheers!

Scott Stahlecker
10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Sounded great. Are you liking the high G tuning better?

coriandre
10-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Good show ! Very nicely done :)

TCK
10-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Great stuff here, and a brilliant selection on the tune! Always loved this tune, in all it's incarnations. That finger-picking bit puts it over the top mate.
Worth's sound great on that Mainland- if you are kicking around strings, give the Guadalupe's a try as well, I like them even more than the Worth strings, but everything I play is either Spruce top or banjo...so they may be a fluke here.

elisdad
10-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Thank you v30, coriandre, Scott Stahlecker, and TCK!

Scott S., I am enjoying the worths. When I first started playing low G I really liked the sound a lot more than high G. So I was concerned about the switch back, but I really I liking the high G on the Mainland. Sometimes the Low G can sound boomy and I like that it doesn't happen with the high G.

TCK, I'll have to put Guadalupes on my list to try. I just bought a batch of strings from Elderly, so I have D'Addarios ProArte and Martin M620 to try as well. I really like how the flourocarbon strings feel versus the Aquilas.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement.

mm stan
10-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Aloha Elosdad,
sounds awesome....broght back memories..thank you for sharing.. Happy Strummings..MM Stan

elisdad
10-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks mm stan!