Question: What kind of glue to laminate binding/purfling strips

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
I'm going to post this despite the very unhappy discussion that resulted recently from a question about bending laminated sides.

We have a pile of veneer strips in various woods (maple, IRW, walnut, mahogany, birch, cherry, etc.) The strips are standard "light veneer" thickness 0.55 to 0.75 mm (0.022" to 0.030"). We'd like to use the strips to make purfling/binding by laminating several strips together. Question is what kind of glue could we use to do this. We may need to bend them on the pipe before gluing them in. What kind of glue do we use?

I use HHG to laminate purfling veneers together as well as the purflings to the bindings.

Another mate with a tone wood business makes his up with Titebond original. I bend mine in a form and on a pipe, and I can only assume that the ones my mate sells would be subjected to the same sort of things.

I recently glued some b/w/b fiber purflings to some rainbow poplar binding with red cap titebond and it bent like a charm with no surprises.

Thanks very much for your help everyone - we really appreciate it.

Due to the danger of sanding through, I'm now thinking it would be better to use a "real" binding strip on the outer edge, so we'll probably use a strip of 1.2 to 1.5 mm and then laminate one or more of the thinner strips to it - though they are really too nice to hide them like that, especially the flamed maple and the bubinga (my personal favorites).

Top Bottom