Muscle Memory

strictlyukulele

Reaction score
Hi all!

The big problem I'm facing is that I have found a cool strumming pattern, but I tend to use it on every song I play. I did not realise this until my friends told me about it. I guess I just got so used to it that now it is just muscle memory.

Any ideas how to overcome this?

Thanks!

Practise these:

http://www.box.net/shared/d0r4z0inrr

It helps, I couldn't strum if my life depended on it, down up was all I knew, and all my fingers produced, even if I tried something different.
These exercises did improve my strumming variation and technique. I got scratches on my belly from my every-morning-in-the-shower-calypso-practise. I'm dreaming Down, Down-up, Up-Down-Up.

try playing songs that incorporate different styles of music. If youre playing pop standard strum along stuff right now, then throw in some reggae/ska styled songs that force you by design to use different rhythm patterns....try Bob Marleys 3 little birds....or Santeria by Sublime.....With or Without you by U2 was another song I used to find some different patterns......even Im yours can be played with some chunky percussive type patterns that incorporate some palm muting, (I think they call it "chunking" here)..I think it sounds better that way in fact. most of all practice...

When you find new strum patterns, practice them slowly untill you master them. You will speed up "naturally" as you do. It takes longer for some folks (like me) than others. No shortcuts. I sometimes mute my strings practice strums while watching TV until my hand gets tired. Also works with fingerpicking practice. Can add extra time to your practice sessions.

Thanks guys :) I realise that all it takes is some EXTRA practice! slowly getting used to other strumming patterns now!

I'm dreaming Down, Down-up, Up-Down-Up.

Just wondering what we call this strumming pattern? I heard it in Ukulele Mike's Youtube, but I could not hear clearly what he said.

He demonstrated the shuffle and shuffle swing strumming patterns. Basically they are just the normal D U D U D U D U. The third one was called something like "church lag" or something, which is D . D U D . DU. The last one was called something like "calypso", which is D . D U . U D U. I am not sure if my ear heard those terms correctly, hence my question here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Just wondering what we call this strumming pattern? I heard it in Ukulele Mike's Youtube, but I could not hear clearly what he said.

He demonstrated the shuffle and shuffle swing strumming patterns. Basically they are just the normal D U D U D U D U. The third one was called something like "church lag" or something, which is D . D U D . DU. The last one was called something like "calypso", which is D . D U . U D U. I am not sure if my ear heard those terms correctly, hence my question here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

It's a calypso-strum. (d-du-udu)

Yes. That video. Anyway, what's in a name? As long as we know how to strum that pattern. Thanks a lot. :D

Top Bottom