PDA

View Full Version : Photos for ryanmft

Olive Oyl
10-29-2011, 01:16 PM
RyanMFT,

Here are the photos I mentioned in my last post. The only way I could figure out to attach these was from a new post. Hope this helps.

mm stan
10-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Aloha Olive Oil,
My Style 2M has the same tuners and black nut....I believe mine is a 50's model...mine always stays in tune..3 months and I take it out and it sounds pretty good..
I am using M600 and and I drop tune it. so theres less tension and better playability..plus it matches my voice better.. Good luck...
I was looking at how many times you have your string around your tuning post.. I always keep mine at the most a three wounds..find it alot easier to tune by ear..

BlackBearUkes
10-29-2011, 04:23 PM
There is a simple method to help this style of tuner to stay put and making tuning easier. Remove one of the tuners from the head stock. Take the entire assembly to a good hardware store and purchase some small flat washers and some lock washers. The washers should be no bigger than the barrel, (that is the metal part between the knob and the head stock)., and should slide easily on the steel shaft. When you reassemble the tuner use one flat washer and one lock washer between the barrel and the wood. The flat washer should be up against the wood, then the lock washer, then the barrel and finally the plastic knob.

The lock washer will provide extra holding power but will move smoothly because it is between two metal surfaces. The adjusting/tightening machine screws should be long enough without any problems. Good luck.

Olive Oyl
10-30-2011, 03:04 AM
Appreciate the advice. I'll give it a try.

ProfChris
10-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Also, you have far too many turns of the string round those pegs - this can make tuning very difficult. I'd slacken off the strings, pull the slack right through, and then start tightening. This should give you about 2-3 turns, which is plenty.

RyanMFT
10-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Those are excellent quality original tuners. They look to be in good shape and shouldn't need anything added to make them work well. If that was my uke I wouldn't add anything, but I would just disassemble them and put a bit of oil on the threads of the screws. When the shaft is out of the headstock I would turn the oiled screw into the shaft a few times to make sure it goes in smoothly.

Then, reassemble with fewer twists around the shaft and adjust the tension on the screw. I bet that will do the trick without adding anything.

Olive Oyl
11-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Thank you Ryan. That seems to be the consensus. When I had the new Martin strings put on it was done at a music shop. I'll try cleaning and restringing with fewer twists. I need to learn how to do all this myself anyway! and I'm loving learning how to play.