Air-strumming

ukuhippo

Reaction score
I bought a Dolphin a couple of months ago, and am loving my first steps on uke-territory. Actually, my first steps on music-territory, as I have no musical background/training whatsoever.
One of the things giving me troubles is strumming. d-u-d-ud-u is all I could do. I have a busy job and family-life (and other activities), which keeps me from practising for more than 15 minutes daily.
The last two weeks I find myself air-strumming all day long. Walking to the supermarket, showering, walking from a to b (even when it's just a few meters): I air-strum. Must be the first symptoms of UAS.
My question is: is this off-uke-practising any good? Will it help me master strums better? Is anyone else doing the same thing?

Hmmm...don't quite know how to answer this one. To me, the most prohibitive thing is the lack of practice time WITH the instrument in your hands. You need to build the muscle memory in your fingers to form notes. I found that the strumming came a lot more naturally to me. The uke is my first stringed instrument I might mention as well.

Not that your air strumming can hurt anything, you just need to get that puppy in your hands more during the day. Take it with you (a dolphin is an easy travel companion) when you go to pick up the kids from school, and are waiting in the car for them. Or waiting at any kind of sports/dance practice. That could give you lots more pratice time. Enjoy this new adventure and take it for all you can. You will definitely develop a raging case of UAS. In the meantime, if you haven't already, take the dolphin to a good music shop, spend a little money and put good strings on it and have them put a good set-up on it. Maybe lower the action a little. Have fun!

The stalker in me saw you were looking at e chord alternatives. My suggestion--just do it--learn to hate it, but do it anyway. That's what I'm doing. You get used to it eventually. Best way I can tell you to do it is this; let you middle finger bar the top 2 strings of the 4th fret, the ring finger get the third, and the last string with the bottom of the pointer finger. In fact, do it like you're barring that fret and let it fall behind the other two.

The stalker in me saw you were looking at e chord alternatives. My suggestion--just do it--learn to hate it, but do it anyway. That's what I'm doing. You get used to it eventually. Best way I can tell you to do it is this; let you middle finger bar the top 2 strings of the 4th fret, the ring finger get the third, and the last string with the bottom of the pointer finger. In fact, do it like you're barring that fret and let it fall behind the other two.

I was just looking, I have actually not much of a problem with the e-chord, I have long flexible fingers which are perfect for barring. I'm not worried about my left hand, it's the strumming hand which gives me some troubles.

I think an absolute yes, that air strumming will help you. It is like visualization, visualizing something helps you learn it faster so air strum away my friend.

Today I finally managed to do d-du-udu (guess the strum) for 2 minutes in the air. The day before yesterday I couldn't do two d-du-udu's in a row. I think it helps in a way, going to grab my uke when I'm home to try the strum on it.

Not quite "air strumming" , I sometimes mute my strings and practice new strums and fingerpicking tecniques while watching TV and at other times when I may want to practice silently. Works very well for me and you are actually using the strings....much better than air IMHO.

Yes, I do that to for strumming practise, I just don't always have my ukulele with me, and air-strum at those moments. I consider it 'extra practise'. Just got home, and the air-strumming has done something good, as I just found out my strumming has improved again.

Be warned, once you learn that pattern you may have problems going back to other strum patterns. Or at least I do on occasion, it is getting better though.

Be warned, once you learn that pattern you may have problems going back to other strum patterns. Or at least I do on occasion, it is getting better though.

This is the hazard of mastering a pattern. I am definitely guilty of this. Therefore I always have to consciously tell myself to change strumming pattern as and when it is possible with the songs. :p

Top Bottom