PDA

View Full Version : Tuner question

DML
10-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Hello all, another newbie question. I was at my local music shop buying strings for my uke and being a frequent customer, because I also play bass, the guy at the store asked me if i got a Uke tuner. I told him i got my regular korg chromatic tuner and he tried selling me this little clip on Snark tuner. I'm not sure if he was just trying to sell me something other then a 4.99 set of strings or do i really need one? I have been tuning it with my korg tuner and it sounds ok other then i still suck:D. Any input would be much appreciated.

gyosh
10-30-2011, 04:48 AM
It's just convenient. If my guitar tuner is handy, I use it, otherwise I grab the clip on tuner out of my case.

DML
10-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Ok good,,the guy had me second guessing myself. A chromatic tuner is a chromatic tuner then. Thanks,,goes to show how green i really am

RyanMFT
10-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Clip on tuners work by using the vibrations of the instrument rather than "listening" which I find very helpful in tuning when others are playing or when there is noise around.

boodrow
10-30-2011, 05:35 AM
I have a snark that I use on my guitar and uke , I love it.
Boodrow

ukuhippo
10-30-2011, 06:17 AM
A chromatic tuner is a chromatic tuner then.

Yes. Clipon-tuners are handy, but if your non-clipon-tuner works for you, you're good. FWIW, the Snarks get good reviews for accuracy and coolness.

PhilUSAFRet
10-30-2011, 07:14 AM
I have those other tuners as well, still love my Snark....use it exclusively. See if your dealer wil sell it to you for this price!

http://www.buy.com/pr/SellerListings.aspx?sku=223167689&buy=0

jackwhale
10-30-2011, 07:23 AM
I keep the snark on my uke all the time. works well and doesn't get in the way.

mm stan
10-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes yes clip is a whole lot better and more faster and convienient, and accurate....Like Ryan says...it used vibrations from the neck rather by sound....no ambient sound to throw you off...
I personally like this one...everyone has their own preferences....http://www.metronomes.net/CherubChromaticMateWst-550C.htm for all the notes and the incriments...digital readouts

bobqrublic
10-30-2011, 10:41 AM
The Snark sn-2 is an awesome all around clip on tuner. it has mic and vibe options. i take it to band practice and tune 2 guitars a uke and a bass all while the drummer can't stop banging away.

MisterRios
10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
At my meet-up, there is usually such a uke cacophony that I often get asked for my clip-on tuner. If you're playing in a quiet room the non-clip-on is great, but in a loud room, the clip-on is much more practical. Plus, you can leave it on the uke all the time and it doesn't get in the way...

DML
10-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all this input everybody!! I guess im gonna have to go buy one to see what all the hype is about. Thanks again

DML
10-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I have those other tuners as well, still love my Snark....use it exclusively. See if your dealer wil sell it to you for this price!

http://www.buy.com/pr/SellerListings.aspx?sku=223167689&buy=0

WOW,,they want 19.99 at the store. Thanks for the link!!! I just placed my order.

Tor
10-30-2011, 11:57 AM
There's a Snark for ukulele now too.. SN6. Would there be any point in getting that one instead of, say, the (red) SN2?

-Tor

DML
10-30-2011, 02:50 PM
There's a Snark for ukulele now too.. SN6. Would there be any point in getting that one instead of, say, the (red) SN2?

-Tor
I think that's the one they want 19.99 for

Tor
10-31-2011, 12:07 AM
I think that's the one they want 19.99 for Well yes, at buy.com. But buy.com don't ship internationally so I was looking on Ebay. There the price is the same as for the red one. So, considering the same price I was wondering if there would be any point in a ukulele-specific Snark. I'm getting a couple of the red ones anyway, but maybe someone has experience with that other model?

-Tor

DML
11-04-2011, 11:50 AM

-Tor
Im not sure what the differance is other then the SN6 says ukulele tuner on the box. I got one today and it works great!! Very happy with it.

lookingforcurly
11-05-2011, 03:10 AM
I play bass, guitar and ukulele. I love the Snark tuners. I have bought 14 and given 6 to friends. I keep one in every case and a few around the house. I like them because they work equally well with a bass guitar and a ukulele, plus they are so cheap. The only draw back is they are hard to read in bright sunlight at outdoor gigs.

Tootler
11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
When I got my first uke, I already had a Korg chromatic tuner with a plug in contact mike which did the job but was a bit of a faff so I got a Snark SN2. It had the added bonus that it has a mic so I can tune my flute with it if need be. Much more convenient than the Korg, so another recommendation here.

NoahOathKeeper
11-06-2011, 11:40 AM
i have several turners i bought a snark clip on, and now all others are in the box and the snark clip on my main tuner , i will not live without one again

Keithmj
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Im not sure what the differance is other then the SN6 says ukulele tuner on the box. I got one today and it works great!! Very happy with it.

I just ordered the Black one from Amazon the other day. I know the Red one, SN-2 that I have has a metronome built in. I'll find out about the SN-6 as soon as I get it and post here. I just ordered it because it was a new one they came out with..Cheers.