Arg! I did the unthinkable!

Big_e

Reaction score
I did it and I hate myself for it. I trashed one of my ukes! It was my worst one. The very one that made an appearance in the http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?54977-Show-Your-Crappy-Ukes! thread. I couldn't take it anymore.

I salvaged the tuning gears and junked it. It really was so poorly made that I felt that giving it away would actually discourage a newcomer from playing. When I give something to someone, I want to feel good about it, not be doubtful if I did the right thing!
I got out my Lanikai and let me tell you, what a big difference! I do feel bad now about the poor old "Cheapo" and even said words of farewell.

Now I know to get a uke from a shop where I can test them and that services them and not online anymore. I found a store and a small shop in town (the owner, UkeLady is a member here!).
I hope the uke spirits don't frown on me, I had to get that off my chest.
Ernest

Aloha Ernest,
Ahhh You sacafriced your uke to the uke Gods.....and made an offering....he he....
even my ukes, the most inexpensive ones with out bracing I still keep...as you get better, you revisit them and learn to play them....it's the challenge for me...Guess I'm a stubborn old guy..

I understand why you wouldn't want to give away an ukulele that you think would put the recipient off of playing all ukuleles. I still have the first ukulele I bought even though I have since upgraded to a much better concert ukulelel because I have a sentimental attachment to the old one (it's very playable, and I really should give it to someone who wants an ukulele), so I appreciate your feelings of attachment to your cheapo. I think that if you burn the destroyed uke in a respectful ceremony and scatter its ashes in a place you know it would have liked, the Ukulele Gods will forgive you.

It really was so poorly made that I felt that giving it away would actually discourage a newcomer from playing. When I give something to someone, I want to feel good about it, not be doubtful if I did the right thing!

Well, I can understand what you did, but for future reference Tudorp here on the forum has a habit of rehabilitating otherwise unusable ukes, and turning the now playable instruments into Ukes for Kids. If you send him an instrument, if it can be made playable, it will; if not, he'll salvage the parts.

I think an old Aria baritone I sent to him is now a birdhouse., but the tuners are in his stock.

Just something to keep in mind if you, or someone you know, has a "junk" uke in the future.

-Kurt​

RIP. Maybe it could be used as a canvas for someone who wants to decorate one.

Well, I can understand what you did, but for future reference Tudorp here on the forum has a habit of rehabilitating otherwise unusable ukes, and turning the now playable instruments into Ukes for Kids. If you send him an instrument, if it can be made playable, it will; if not, he'll salvage the parts.

I think an old Aria baritone I sent to him is now a birdhouse., but the tuners are in his stock.

Just something to keep in mind if you, or someone you know, has a "junk" uke in the future.
Great idea, Kurt!

I could never bring myself to intentionally destroy an instrument, no matter how much I didn't like it.

And no matter how crappy you think it is or how much it might hold them back, it's still better than what a lot of people have... which is nothing.

-Kurt​

I like this idea! I still have it in a wastebasket, I had wrapped it in newspaper. I'll let some birds make good use of it.
Ernest

I have made a lot of Uke bird houses and will happily pay shipping for another unplayable uke to do it again

Top Bottom