PDA

View Full Version : Arg! I did the unthinkable!

Big_e
10-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I did it and I hate myself for it. I trashed one of my ukes! It was my worst one. The very one that made an appearance in the http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?54977-Show-Your-Crappy-Ukes! thread. I couldn't take it anymore.

I salvaged the tuning gears and junked it. It really was so poorly made that I felt that giving it away would actually discourage a newcomer from playing. When I give something to someone, I want to feel good about it, not be doubtful if I did the right thing!
I got out my Lanikai and let me tell you, what a big difference! I do feel bad now about the poor old "Cheapo" and even said words of farewell.

Now I know to get a uke from a shop where I can test them and that services them and not online anymore. I found a store and a small shop in town (the owner, UkeLady is a member here!).
I hope the uke spirits don't frown on me, I had to get that off my chest.
Ernest

mm stan
10-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Aloha Ernest,
Ahhh You sacafriced your uke to the uke Gods.....and made an offering....he he....
even my ukes, the most inexpensive ones with out bracing I still keep...as you get better, you revisit them and learn to play them....it's the challenge for me...Guess I'm a stubborn old guy..

mds725
10-30-2011, 12:25 PM
I understand why you wouldn't want to give away an ukulele that you think would put the recipient off of playing all ukuleles. I still have the first ukulele I bought even though I have since upgraded to a much better concert ukulelel because I have a sentimental attachment to the old one (it's very playable, and I really should give it to someone who wants an ukulele), so I appreciate your feelings of attachment to your cheapo. I think that if you burn the destroyed uke in a respectful ceremony and scatter its ashes in a place you know it would have liked, the Ukulele Gods will forgive you.

ksiegel
10-30-2011, 02:51 PM
It really was so poorly made that I felt that giving it away would actually discourage a newcomer from playing. When I give something to someone, I want to feel good about it, not be doubtful if I did the right thing!

Well, I can understand what you did, but for future reference Tudorp here on the forum has a habit of rehabilitating otherwise unusable ukes, and turning the now playable instruments into Ukes for Kids. If you send him an instrument, if it can be made playable, it will; if not, he'll salvage the parts.

I think an old Aria baritone I sent to him is now a birdhouse., but the tuners are in his stock.

Just something to keep in mind if you, or someone you know, has a "junk" uke in the future.

-Kurt

bbqribs
10-30-2011, 03:03 PM
RIP. Maybe it could be used as a canvas for someone who wants to decorate one.

itsme
10-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, I can understand what you did, but for future reference Tudorp here on the forum has a habit of rehabilitating otherwise unusable ukes, and turning the now playable instruments into Ukes for Kids. If you send him an instrument, if it can be made playable, it will; if not, he'll salvage the parts.

I think an old Aria baritone I sent to him is now a birdhouse., but the tuners are in his stock.

Just something to keep in mind if you, or someone you know, has a "junk" uke in the future.

Great idea, Kurt!

I could never bring myself to intentionally destroy an instrument, no matter how much I didn't like it.

And no matter how crappy you think it is or how much it might hold them back, it's still better than what a lot of people have... which is nothing.

Big_e
10-30-2011, 04:50 PM

-Kurt

I like this idea! I still have it in a wastebasket, I had wrapped it in newspaper. I'll let some birds make good use of it.
Ernest

TCK
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I have made a lot of Uke bird houses and will happily pay shipping for another unplayable uke to do it again