On the beach in Nova Scotia

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Here's Hank and I playing on the beach at the venue of the Ukulele Ceilidh in Nova Scotia last weekend.

The tune is a favourite over there called St Anne's Reel.

That was awesome! I feel like I'm in the Maritimes ready for a lobster boil on da beach, eh!! I should make an attempt to make it out to the east coast one of these days. :p

You should. It was an excellent festival. Some good friends old and new were there: Gerald Ross, Lil Rev, Dan Scanlan, Manitoba Hal, James Hill, Melanie Doane. And there was me and Hank too.

That was great Ken....I almost got up and started to do a jig. The scenery and sounds of the ocean in the background were icing on the cake. Dandy!

Great job as usual, Ken & Hank.
In my area, we play that tune in an A-A-B-B format. I noticed you play it A-A-B.
Is that the norm for Nova Scotia or England, or both?
Of course, bluegrass pickers play most fiddle tunes A-A-B-B.

Bill

Ken -

That was really sweet! I would love to get up that way one day (and hear you play like that in person).

If you're interested in the area, here's something you might like:

http://store.longevitydesign.com/Me...V102&Category_Code=videos&Store_Code=zachrich

The Cajiens here in Louisiana were previously from Nova Scotia (we still call it Acadie), before they were brutally expelled (18th century was a rough time). Although that website describes the video simply as the "Story of the Cajun People in Louisiana", after they left France, their history is longer in Acadie than Louisianne.

Around half the video is shot in Acadie (some of it looks like the same beach), with wonderful stories and beautiful music throughout. If you go back there, some of the French managed to escape expulsion. You might pick up some nice material to play for them on this video. Zachary Richard is at least as much of an icon there as he is in his native land.

Some additional video info here:

http://beta.lpb.org/index.php/site/programs/against_the_tide_the_story_of_the_acadian_people/

Last edited:
St. Anne's- GREAT TUNE! and so well done- I am in awe. Great stuff Ken
Dirk- totally buying that vid- love Zachary Richard. Thanks for the heads up.

That was great Ken....I almost got up and started to do a jig. The scenery and sounds of the ocean in the background were icing on the cake. Dandy!

Haha. Thanks. Dancing a jig to a reel is a hard thing to pull off.

Great job as usual, Ken & Hank.
In my area, we play that tune in an A-A-B-B format. I noticed you play it A-A-B.
Is that the norm for Nova Scotia or England, or both?
Of course, bluegrass pickers play most fiddle tunes A-A-B-B.

Bill

Well spotted, Bill. In fact, I just decided to do ABB because I thought it sounded better.

Ken -

That was really sweet! I would love to get up that way one day (and hear you play like that in person).

If you're interested in the area, here's something you might like...

Thanks for the information.

St. Anne's- GREAT TUNE! and so well done- I am in awe. Great stuff Ken

Thanks for watching. It is a great tune to play.

Loved it ! Thanks for sharing the beautiful music and scenery

The beach was wonderful to wake up to every morning. Our hut was very close to it.

yeah for happy music!!!!!! Brilliant Ken and Rev. Still smiling... :)

Most Excellent gents!

Top Bottom