Cardboard Uke

emilygrace04

Reaction score
Just finished up my first "build." I had a lot of shipping boxes sitting around the house, so I decided to put them to good use.

IMG_1312.jpg

1 x large amazon.com shipping box
1 x staples office paper box
1 x bottle of wood glue
1 x back of notebook
12 x brass cotter pin
2 x mini hinge
1 threaded brass rod
4 x bronze (all they had) flanged bushings
4 x cheap tuners
1 set of martin uke strings
2 x brass screws (leftover from an ikea project)

Here's a video... you'll have to excuse the playing... its my new song I'm working on.
[video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=919402278429[/video]

I usually pass on any thread with "cardboard" in the title but you've impressed me with your efforts. If you did that well with cardboard, build your next one out of wood and really blow our socks off.
(I wonder if this uke would get around the Lacey Act? In any case I'm going to start saving my boxes.)

I think as long as she keeps the receipts from the amazon and staples boxes she should be in full compliance with the Lacey act.

The uke looks awesome by the way!

First post - Welcome to UU. First build - Impressed!!

No Way!! That is AWESOME!! Congratulations for ''thinking outside the square''! It sounds better than a lot of other ukes out there!! :)

Welcome to UU - we look forward to hearing more of your songs - that one is great!

Roberta

Thanks!

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I thought I might post a couple pics from the building process....

IMG_1263.jpgIMG_1264.jpgIMG_1267.jpgIMG_1278.jpgIMG_1293.jpg

Cool, Any pictures of the neck?

The main part of the neck is made from 11 layers of thin corrugated cardboard (staples paper box). For the head, I added 3 more layers on either side to widen it up. I used a mortise and tenon type construction. I only have a couple of pictures from before it was put together. Also on the head, I reinforced both the faces with some cardboard from the back of a notebook, which gave a smooth surface to attach the tuners.

IMG_1275.jpgIMG_1277.jpgIMG_1283.jpgphoto(2).jpgphoto.jpg

Great undertaking. It even sounds damn good (what type of strings work with cardboard?).

Last edited:
Pretty clever use of materials. I was wondering why the frets stuck out on one side...but I see how you used the cotter pins now.
I'm not sure the sound will start any big fads. But as a project its very cool!!

Best cardboard uke I've seen so far. Love the tune. A biodegradable ukulele made from scraps... huh... it's so MacGyver.

Top Bottom