PDA

View Full Version : I love playing ukulele, but I hate...

modern day ukuleleist
10-31-2011, 04:37 AM
...purchasing them.

I live in area with virtually no ukulele dealers (out of the 3 local music stores, including a Guitar Center, there are probably 8-10 ukuleles total, and they're all base model lanikai's or something similar).

So purchasing a ukulele involves reading online reviews, watching youtube clips of the ukulele being played (half of which are made using terrible recording devices, and another quarter of which are made by someone who is playing for the first time and sounds pretty bad).

I've been burned by purchasing an applause ukulele, which has great reviews online, none that I read prior to purchasing mention that it should be exclusively electric because it sounds pretty bad acoustically. I wasted $160 on it and I can't even find someone to buy it for $100 (it has hardly been used).

Rule #1 of buying instruments is playing them in person before buying, but that's just not possible.

EDIT: Now I'm going to buy a Mainland Tenor.

vanflynn
10-31-2011, 04:42 AM
I have the simular problem. Two options, some on-line dealer have a 48 hr or other return policy, no questions asked. All you are out is shipping. The other is to see if you local dealers will special order and take it back for a restocking fee if you don't like it.

Final solution is ROAD TRIP -

PoiDog
10-31-2011, 04:44 AM
I love playing the 'ukulele but hate that I never seem to have enough time to play one.

rreffner
10-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Where do you live?

UncleElvis
10-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Two words: Mim's Ukes

If you want to order a ukulele, contact Mim and she will go out of her way to make sure you are happy as a clam with your purchase!

coriandre
10-31-2011, 07:15 AM
I love playing the 'ukulele but hate that I never seem to have enough time to play one.

Same goes here !

All my ukes and most of my musical instruments were purchased sight unseen via internet and I was never disapointed. Not much choice in my area and I'm a lefty to boot. To me, half the fun is doing research and I read, listen and look at tons of stuff before pulling the trigger. For the ukulele at the lower end, in my opinion, Kala and Lanikai are best, for intermidiate, Mainland, Pono, Ohana and Sailor. For high end the K brands or a luthier custom. This is a good basis to start with. An other important factor that is often forgotten is who you are buying from. Only buy from reputable sources and this must be researched as well. You want your instrument to be setup properly if buying new from a store....this makes all the difference in the world. Read customer satisfaction and return policies. Email back and forth a few times to get a feel of the seller. The same goes for used instruments even from ebay. Before bidding, email back and forth and get the feel of who you are dealing with. Ask for additionnal photos, pause specific question to test knowledge and honesty. If you have any doubts, just back off.

Hope this helps ! It is possible to purchase instruments without playing them and have a pleasant experience.

jonesjimbo
10-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Another idea may be to go to try going to a ukulele festival. I was able to go to the Wine Country Uke Fest in Napa County where I was able to try alot of ukuleles that are not sold anywhere near where I live.

rossjr
10-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota we are faced with much the same delemea. We do or did have a couple of people locally that made them, typcially saw them at a monthly meeting, but I do my purchases when on vacation. We travel to HI every other year and the last two trips, I've bought Mele's. They sound great and have great quality. I am sure they would take care of you on an on-line purchase...

mr moonlight
10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
I think the best bet is to talk to some quality uke stores. The staff plays the largest variety of instruments and deal with customers with all sorts of budgets on a daily basis. I've been very happy with my purchases where I've taken the advice from a good uke shop, but the uke I bought by doing my own online research I returned. Listening to ukes over the internet is a difficult way to determine an instruments sound since you can't get an accurate representation of what it sounds like and definitely not what sort of volume it puts out.

I've gotten ukes from Hawaii Music Supply and MusicGuyMic and have had exceptional experiences with customer service and have gotten ukes I'm very happy with. Most important, they have a good return policy in case you don't like it for some reason. My view on buying uke's without trying them is that if I can't return it simply because I'm not happy with the way it sounds, I won't buy it.

mm stan
10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Aloha Modern Day Ukist,
Not sure where you live...Always good to buy in person and try them out..if buying sight unseen, purchase from a reputable dealer which does setps and has a return policy..... Mim's, Mainland Mike, Uke republic, MGM, Hawaii Music Supply..Not sure your budget too...and how long you've been playing...laminates are good starters and budget friendly...Makai, Vineyard, KPK(solid), Mainland(solid) etc..also our marketplace has some seconh hand deals as well as FMM...Stay away from the big box retailers...they may be cheaper, but they come without setups.Good luck and
Happy Strummings...

ukulefty
10-31-2011, 08:39 AM
I love playing ukulele, but I hate... errrr... well... nothing really...

Oh and I totally second the ROADTRIP option.

I booked a weekend away in Bournemouth simply because Southern Uke Store was located there!!

beardco
10-31-2011, 08:45 AM
I bought mine at a festival. If I hadn't played it at the festival, I wouldn't own one now. So I agree with jonesjimbo.

I've been to Hawaii, visited several stores, and was apalled at the quality of the instruments and the general attitude that ukulele's are for the tourist trade. I've visited many stores on the mainland and most of the employees treat it like it's a purchase for your child. If the guy at the music store wants to grab the uke off the wall and start strumming it for 5 minutes, RUN! One guy in Hawaii has a microphone set up and tortures you with his endless chord strumming before ever letting you touch one of the ukes behind the counter.

Everyone online says that their particular instrument is the best. Mostly because they don't want to feel bad about their purchase.

I even sat on a custom builder's waitlist for a year, foregoing buying from a builder near me at the time, only to be told after 12 months that, although my number was up, I just wasn't worthy of his craftmanship.

Go to a festival where there is no retailer to tell you that he carries a certain brand because it is the best. You can talk to the actual luthier, see what they make, not what a retailer wants you to see, and probably get something you wouldn't even find otherwise. Luthiers usually have a great selection at a festival and also have a book of other work they've done.

If I could buy from anyone, it would be Dave Means but, I don't think that wish will ever come true. You can at least visit the Glyph website to see what others are trying to live up to.

AncientMatingCalls
10-31-2011, 09:39 AM
I love playing any instruments, but I really hate the way it fuels unnecessary consumerism in me. I just wish I could be content with what I have. I really think websites like this instigate that aspect of playing. Don't get me wrong, UU is a great site with many terrific resources. However seeing UAS in full effect in such great numbers has a terrible push on me. Obviously its a problem that stems within myself, but such beautiful instruments don't help me get over it.

Sorry for the rant, its a little off topic.

modern day ukuleleist
10-31-2011, 10:23 AM
I love playing any instruments, but I really hate the way it fuels unnecessary consumerism in me. I just wish I could be content with what I have. I really think websites like this instigate that aspect of playing. Don't get me wrong, UU is a great site with many terrific resources. However seeing UAS in full effect in such great numbers has a terrible push on me. Obviously its a problem that stems within myself, but such beautiful instruments don't help me get over it.

Sorry for the rant, its a little off topic.

I understand.

There are too many ukuleles to choose from. Many of which aren't any better or worse than others, just different in some way.

I was recently discussing the subject of the psychological impact of choices in consumerism in one of my classes. Having more choices actually makes people less happy because they begin to question their own choices and assume that every other choice would have been better.

That's why I'm trying to limit myself to two ukuleles, if I can ever sell my Applause. Then I'll have one serious ukulele and one for messing around.

vanflynn
10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
AMC, I see it more as being vicarious. There is no way in hell I would spend $2000 for a uke but still enjoy their beauty.

haolejohn
10-31-2011, 10:33 AM
...purchasing them.

I live in area with virtually no ukulele dealers (out of the 3 local music stores, including a Guitar Center, there are probably 8-10 ukuleles total, and they're all base model lanikai's or something similar).

So purchasing a ukulele involves reading online reviews, watching youtube clips of the ukulele being played (half of which are made using terrible recording devices, and another quarter of which are made by someone who is playing for the first time and sounds pretty bad).

I've been burned by purchasing an applause ukulele, which has great reviews online, none that I read prior to purchasing mention that it should be exclusively electric because it sounds pretty bad acoustically. I wasted $160 on it and I can't even find someone to buy it for $100 (it has hardly been used).

Rule #1 of buying instruments is playing them in person before buying, but that's just not possible.

Now I'm considering saving up for a pocket ukulele just for the novelty, but I'm sure I'll regret it when I find that I can't even play it with my long fingers.

My Online shopping rules are:
#1 Buy from a Uke Dealer, Not a "uke" dealer

#2 Buy from a Uke manufactuer (Like the K companies).

#3-IF their specialty is guitars (fender, epiphone, ibanez, oscar schmidt, applause, etc...) stay away from them.

haolejohn
10-31-2011, 10:37 AM
...purchasing them.

Now I'm considering saving up for a pocket ukulele just for the novelty, but I'm sure I'll regret it when I find that I can't even play it with my long fingers.

Since you have to go online look no further than: UkeRepublic and Mim. Unless they don't ahve what you want.

gyosh
10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
One guy in Hawaii has a microphone set up and tortures you with his endless chord strumming before ever letting you touch one of the ukes behind the counter.

Larry's Music on Kauai has a mic set up in the store, but if it weren't for his playing I never would have known the full capabilities of the instrument. As a noobie, he played parts of the fret board that won't see my fingers for quite some time. He played a wide variety of songs and explained the differences in sound quality for each uke. He didn't try to "sell" me any one brand but really gave a lesson on what to look for in a quality ukulele. I appreciated the time he took to educate me on the instrument and I'm grateful that I wandered into his store.

gyosh
10-31-2011, 12:26 PM
. . if I can ever sell my Applause. Then I'll have one serious ukulele and one for messing around.

What size is the Applause?

modern day ukuleleist
10-31-2011, 02:22 PM
What size is the Applause?

It's the soprano (the size that you probably don't want, like everyone else).

http://i39.tinypic.com/15i6gyg.png

gyosh
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
It's the soprano (the size that you probably don't want, like everyone else).

http://i39.tinypic.com/15i6gyg.png

:) You're right, but I teach at a high school so I'll ask the kids if they're interested.

cletus
10-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I even sat on a custom builder's waitlist for a year, foregoing buying from a builder near me at the time, only to be told after 12 months that, although my number was up, I just wasn't worthy of his craftmanship.

Damn, business must be good! "No soup for you"....

:wtf:

modern day ukuleleist
10-31-2011, 04:54 PM
:) You're right, but I teach at a high school so I'll ask the kids if they're interested.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate that.

Nickie
10-31-2011, 05:35 PM

What the heck? I have the same problem!

sugengshi
10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
What the heck? I have the same problem!

I also have the same problem. Just trying to steal some time before sleep and early in the morning before going out. Maybe one day I should bring the Ukulele to office. It would be fun I could imagine. :D

rook
10-31-2011, 07:13 PM
When it doesn't co-operate.

kissing
10-31-2011, 07:15 PM
I love the uke, but hate it when I have to play the E and Eb chord, which are very common in music.
It's as easy as heck on a guitar or baritone uke though -_-

rook
10-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I love the uke, but hate it when I have to play the E and Eb chord, which are very common in music.
It's as easy as heck on a guitar or baritone uke though -_-

I used to HATE playing E or Eb...practiced the crap out of it. I finally learned to arch my fingers and put my thumb on the middle of the neck, helps a lot. One exercise I used was to Play an E any time I saw an E7 (which was also a bit of a &$#@#@ to learn).

Right now my nemesis is the barred Am which I'm learning to play by practicing the song "Love Her Madly" by The Doors. If you can master Am Barred to E7 open you're doing OK in my book.

beardco
11-02-2011, 04:16 AM
Ha! When business gets too good, the quality goes down. I should probably thank the emotional primadonna for snubbing me.

modern day ukuleleist
11-02-2011, 04:28 AM
I've decided to trash the idea of getting a pocket uke after getting some advice from multiple people on here.

Does anyone know of any Ukuleles between $100-$300 that they would highly recommend? Someone mentioned Pono MS, which seems like a pretty good purchase to me.

haolejohn
11-02-2011, 04:31 AM
I've decided to trash the idea of getting a pocket uke after getting some advice from multiple people on here.

Does anyone know of any Ukuleles between $100-$300 that they would highly recommend? Someone mentioned Pono MS, which seems like a pretty good purchase to me.

soprano? wood type?

modern day ukuleleist
11-02-2011, 04:40 AM
soprano? wood type?

I'm open to any size (except maybe baritone). Also open to any type of wood, but I would definitely prefer solid wood if possible. If the description I read was accurate, the Pono MS is solid mahogany.

joejeweler
11-02-2011, 06:59 AM
I love playing my ukuleles,.....but HATE having to play them softly at night when the lady of the house is asleep!

Most nights i grab my Kanile'a K-2 S (claro walnut with bearclaw spruce top) that i have done a bit of modding on as you may recall. (found here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?52850-Kanile-s-K-2-S-A-quot-Lucky-quot-Soprano-Find-and-Some-Personal-Preference-Changes )

I love this one's tone, and the 1 1/2" nut width and thicker neck makes it almost as easy to play as a concert size for me.

.......but having to play "lightly" for hours is a bummer! :(

My girl's a light sleeper, and i like to play in a Lazy-Boy recliner in front of the TV watchinh a movie, and a laptop computer nearby to play some poker on the WPT club. (multi-tasking! lol) The bedroom is off the living room, and even with the bedroom door closed she wakes up ocassionally even with my light playing. I thought about getting her drunk and have her pass out, but that would just be taking advantage of her! :uhoh:

Besides, she doesn't drink except for a sip of my beer once in awhile. (just 1 for me ocassionaly also)

The uke sounds so sweet it's hard to keep the volumn down. Doesn't help that it also is naturally very loud. When i do mistep and she wakes up,....i mention i was playing as light as i could,.......and she usually says the sound carries anyway.

........a real problem with a quality ukulele! ........c'est la vie.

.....she'll get over it! :D

haolejohn
11-02-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm open to any size (except maybe baritone). Also open to any type of wood, but I would definitely prefer solid wood if possible. If the description I read was accurate, the Pono MS is solid mahogany.

Ponos are nice and there is a really good one in the Marketplace but I prefer Mele for mahogany.

www.meleukuleles.com

You can also contact Sailor Jim aka UkeRepublic at www.ukerepublic.com and order one of his sailor brand ukuleles (best bang for the buck IMO).

another option is mainland ukes. I love his red cedar/rosewood combos. I don't know the web address. I just call him.

modern day ukuleleist
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Ponos are nice and there is a really good one in the Marketplace but I prefer Mele for mahogany.

www.meleukuleles.com

You can also contact Sailor Jim aka UkeRepublic at www.ukerepublic.com and order one of his sailor brand ukuleles (best bang for the buck IMO).

another option is mainland ukes. I love his red cedar/rosewood combos. I don't know the web address. I just call him.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll definitely look into all of those. Now I have somewhere to start.

Much appreciated.

cletus
11-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Ha! When business gets too good, the quality goes down. I should probably thank the emotional primadonna for snubbing me.

Send him a card, it's more "sincere".:old:

philpot
11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I love playing my ukulele, but I HATE musical snobs.

The general opinion I come across is that the ukulele is more of a "toy" instrument than a serious one, and that there is nothing "technical" about learning uke, or that someone who gets to a certain point in their ukulele knowledge should automatically "graduate" to guitar, or that because X person plays guitar, they would be a ukulele god. Please. First, the ukulele is a completely serious instrument by all counts. Second, there is PLENTY of technicality in ukulele playing if you get past learning "Hey Soul Sister" in the key of C. Third, there is no need to "graduate" to anything. I'm perfectly fine playing multiple instruments for the joys of each individual one, not because one is better than the other (although I am of the opinion that ukulele trumps all ;) ). And fourth, no. Just no. Just because you play a similar instrument does not mean you can switch to another and instantly be amazing at it. I have a friend who plays both violin and viola with a reasonable degree of proficiency (read: she's a boss). She told me that, while very similar, switching from violin to viola was not a simple task. It involves reworking your brain for a lot of different techniques. She also said that, despite the similarities, viola technique is leaps and bounds different than violin technique. Which proves my point to an extent ^.^ it's nice having friends with real musical talent... and it sucks to have friends that think the guitar is the "end-all" to instruments -.-

-Phil

jackwhale
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I bought a Pono mahogany tenor last weekend at Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto. $269. without a case. I really like this uke. I previously bought a Pono mahogany baritone from Gryphon. It has become my 'daily uke' so the decision about which brand of tenor was an easy one. Both ukes have solid mahogany top, back, and sides.

This same uke is currently for sale at Elderly for $241.

sugengshi
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I love playing ukulele, and I hate it if I don't have time to practice and play.

joeybug
11-02-2011, 09:53 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, only I never made it onto the builder's list, just got told I was "wasting his time" b/c I wasn't worthy. Now I'm going with a builder who is happy to have me :D

OP - I have bought all my Ukes, except for Astrid, sight unseen. I recommend if you need to go that route to go to stores/sellers that are well known and willing to work with you. I brought two of my Ukes through a local store (well local being about a 5 hr drive) and they were happy to even play them down the phone for me and set everything up brilliantly. I brought another through eBay and lucked out that it was of good standard and came set up. Another through Amazon, again, lucky with that one though I had to do some of the set up myself and finally through Mim - who is like the BEST seller ever! She made sure I was happy every step of the way, taking photos of what she thought were imperfections, but I didn't care about, she made sure the eleuke sounded good plugged and unplugged and everything, can't sing that woman's praises enough! AND she made me a sweet deal because I'm from UU :D So yes, go with reputable dealers and you'll find it's less hit and miss.

Hope that helps!

Joey :music:

countryken
11-20-2011, 04:56 AM
I've run into the same situation, not only with the ukulele, but with my dobro. Cheap Regal dobros are available in stores, but it was impossible to find a store with two good dobros that could be compared. For the dobro, I spent hours researching on the web and decided upon a DeNeve - a luthier in Syracuse, NY. I found one at the right price on eBay, sold by a surgeon in St. Louis after he received an expensive Sheerhorn from his wife for Christmas. After deciding upon a solid glossy koa tenor ukulele, I found the Hawaii Music Supply online. They provided not only photos but good quality videos of each instrument so that I could hear what I'm shopping for. I'm tickled with the Kanilea that I wound up with. Since then I found a great shop in Flagler Beach. My second uke will probably come from them, but I've no regrets about the first one.

zac987
11-20-2011, 05:08 AM
Grampa's Uke Joint? That place is pretty neat. I like taking a drive up there every once in a while.

musiccityuker
11-21-2011, 02:38 AM
rossjr..

The last two trips (my wife and I go every other year as well)... we ended up in Maui and wandered over to Mele. Came home with a new uke each trip. I have other high end ukes but VERY PLEASED with my Meles. And I love Cheryl and the crew.

Big_e
11-21-2011, 03:37 AM
I love playing ukulele but hated buying them because I could only buy them online. Now, local music stores are stocking ukes. I walked into Guitar Center intent on buying a tenor but a cheap Kohala soprano jumped into my hands and I bought that instead. Good side is that I can now drive to a music store and try out ukes, bad side si that this don't help my UAS.
Ernest

Plainsong
11-21-2011, 06:12 AM
I love playing uke, but it gives me a sad to see how closed off the local uke club has become. They don't often publish meetups, and when they do, it's confusing. The timing is usually late by hours, and you're told to bring an instrument, although you probably won't get a chance to play. The people that play are in the ensemble, which started as a group that held spur of the moment rehearsals, but now just seems to be the core of the club while everyone else is on the outside looking in. Gee, wonder why attndence is so bad, when the meetups are only less a chance to play and more a chance to booze it up. I want to be in a club that meets with the goal of actually playing things. But everyone else seems happy with it, so that's just the way it is. Insiders Only. :(

Tl, dr; I love playing the uke but hate the politics of uke.

sugengshi
11-21-2011, 07:04 PM
I want to be in a club that meets with the goal of actually playing things. But everyone else seems happy with it, so that's just the way it is. Insiders Only. :(

Tl, dr; I love playing the uke but hate the politics of uke.

Hi Plainsong. The situation is quite saddening. Why don't you start small by forming your own group with people you know? Slowly it will grow bigger and bigger. By doing this, you can control the situation so that the sad situation does not repeat itself.

I believe with Uke in hand, all situations will turn to happy ones. :D

ricdoug
11-21-2011, 08:38 PM

It sounds like you purchased an Ovation/Applause UAE20 acoustic/electric soprano, modern day ukuleleist. They take about a year and a half or two of consistent playing to "open up". The first thing you need to do with it is to replace the stock strings with Aquila Concert Strings. I own two, a black stain and a cherry burst. My black stain is about five years old and it is one of the sweetest sounding ukuleles that my friends have played (our club has about 600 members).

As for the pocket uke, a friend of mine owns a store in San Diego and warned me against buying one as they have poor intonation. I perform two to four times a week with my UAE20 and other musicians are always wowed by it's tone, intonation and volume. Ric

Here's mine:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35858Ukulele113.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35858Ukulele110.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/ukulele324.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele228.jpg

Plainsong
11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi Plainsong. The situation is quite saddening. Why don't you start small by forming your own group with people you know? Slowly it will grow bigger and bigger. By doing this, you can control the situation so that the sad situation does not repeat itself.

I believe with Uke in hand, all situations will turn to happy ones. :D

Language is the main issue. I'm English-speaking, and while everyone in the group speaks it, I don't want to sort of insert myself if it's not welcome. I can understand more Finnish than I speak, and I do try.. it's just not my strongpoint. Also, I don't want it to seem like I have it out for the group. I like the people who are in it, and run it, and I don't want to cause drama.

Finns aren't complainers, and I'm not a Finn, so I'm complaining. Where I'm from, if done nicely, that's a constructive thing, but I can't assume that it's taken that way in this case. It's just that the whole "Bring you're uke! Oh, we're not playing.." thing has happened twice now. What I suggested to a group member was that we rent a time from Caisa, a local international culture center, and give workshops. The dues that everyone pays would go to the rental of the room. The meeting rooms are lounges with couches and ethnic percussion lying around. It's perfect for ukulele. No one said anything about my great idea though, so... yeah.

sugengshi
11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Plainsong. You have a great suggestion, but well ... it happens. You may want to see around if there are others English-speaking people nearby who want to play Ukulele together.

Anyway, keep on strumming and practicing. One day, they will knock at your door and invite you to be the guest sharing your experience and playing for them. :D

modern day ukuleleist
11-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Well, I have finally sold my Applause and some other old junk and am getting close to having enough to buy a Mainland Tenor when they're back in stock.

Does anyone know if this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LadAzITlG0

is the same as this:

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=65&categoryId=3

ukulelepuapua
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
...purchasing them.

EDIT: Now I'm going to buy a Mainland Tenor.

ON the plus side im the web dev for ukulelepuapua, and i have plans for video and sound clips for every product :) Hopefully that will help situations like this.