G11sus4 chord is a plot point in thriller

GinnyT11

Reaction score
I'm reading Headhunters, by Jo Nesbø (the Norwegian Stieg Larsson) and a plot point turns on the chord G11sus4, which is the opening chord in A Hard Day's Night.

Apparently not all music theorists render it as G11sus4. See the fifth section of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Hard_Day's_Night_(song)

My question is how would you make that chord on a uke? Would you need to have Paul on bass to help out?

what to leave out

Think about an 11th chord first: normally the first, the third, the fifth, the seventh, and the ninth, and the eleventh: that's six notes: you've only got four strings. What are you going to leave out? Drop the first and the fifth. The bass can play the first(root) and the root implies the fifth. So, now turn the third into a fourth and you have;

fourth, seventh, ninth, and eleventh: that's probably what you'd play on a uke.

Somebody correct me if I shouldn't have dropped the fifth.

In a Gsus4 you're playing a C instead of a B. The C is the 4th. And for a G chord, the 11th would be a C. Same thing. So you're playing a G, C, and D. For your other string, you can choose either the 7th or 9th. If you play the 7th (F), it'll be 0213. If you play the 9th (A), it'll be 2233.

I'm just going by the statement by George on the link above:

The exact chord is an Fadd9 confirmed by Harrison during an online chat on 15 February 2001:[19]

Q: Mr Harrison, what is the opening chord you used for "A Hard Day's Night"?
A: It is F with a G on top, but you'll have to ask Paul about the bass note to get the proper story.

whooooaa...I got left back at 1st I'm afraid!!! I'll be over at the 19th sipping a red... :eek:

Some good stuff in this post:

http://www.beatlesbible.com/features/hard-days-night-chord/

This bit made me laugh:
"...harmonic interest is atypical of their quicker songs, too, and one gets the impression that they think simultaneously of harmony, melody and lunch, so firmly are the major gin and tonic sevenths and ninths built like tens into their tunes, and the flat labia minora key switches, so natural is the hairy Aeolian cadence at the end of 'Not a Second Tiny Tim' (the chord regression which ends Gleason's Song of the Girth)..."

I would play that chord as: 0213.

Top Bottom