String Tension on a Tenor

CTurner

Reaction score
I'm curious about how different the tension can be for different sets of strings on the same tenor.
I tried some Alohi tenor strings (reentrant, all nylon) recently and found them very hard to fret, the tension was quite strong to me. Changing to Worth all plain, and reentrant, was a significant reduction in tension.
Are there tenor all plain reentrant strings that would be even a bit less in tension that you know of? I'm thinking of trying some Fremont Blacklines: not worrying too much about the difference in sound, would Blacklines be less tension compared to the Worths?
Thanks for any input.

I switched from Freemont Blacklines, with a low G, to Worth clears re-entrant on my KoAloha tenor over a year ago. I found that the Blacklines had a higher string tension than the Worths that I switched to.

Look at string guages, I have found thinner strings feel like less tension.
Aquillas are fatter and tend to be a higher tension, this is why they sound brighter and louder.

Blacklines do seem to have a higher tension than worths.

I suggest you try SouthCoast Lights - they're great strings, they really sing but have a reasonably low tension.

Doh! (smack on head) Jamie, thanks for that reminder. I have Southcoast mediums on a Kanile'a concert and they are truly excellent strings. I'd forgotten about the SC Lights and will definitely put them on my short list for this tenor.

Hey Craig!

Take a look back at this post. This is the page with the Ryan Rodriguez video sound test:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Southcoast/page5&highlight=southcoast+testers

We did that test on the Soft Lights before we first released them. (We changed the 1st string before release). Lighter gauges are brighter simply because they are thinner, so the Soft Lights are not really that "soft" of a sound, compared to the Soft Mediums, for example.

I think you'd like them better than the standard Lights, because the extra "beef" on the Soft Light, while not giving quite the brilliance of the standard Lights, gives a little more power - better for a Tenor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom