6 String Uke or Tiny Guitar?

papagreybeard

Reaction score
Recently purchased what I thought was a 6 string uke on-line but when it arrived it doesn't seem like one. All six strings are evenly spaced, none doubled up. The instrument is 23.5" long and 8" at the widest point.

It sounds very "uke-ish". You can see from the pictures that the strings are evenly spaced.

uke1.jpg

uke2.jpg

Anybody have any idea what this is and if so, where I'd get strings for it?

Thanks.

I'm thinking it might be some kind of miniature guitar but it's much smaller than a parlor guitar. In the pic below it's hanging between my mandolin and a parlor guitar. It's even smaller than the mando.

uke3.jpg

I'm thinking it might be some kind of miniature guitar but it's much smaller than a parlor guitar. In the pic below it's hanging between my mandolin and a parlor guitar. It's even smaller than the mando.

uke3.jpg

Uh yeah, that picture would have helped put a better perspective on the size....

i remeber asking if any companies made 5/6 string guitars with out doubled strings. You might of found the answer for me.

What about the little guitars they use in Mariachi bands. They look like six string ukes. Any Mariachi music fans here? And sorry I'm way off on the spelling, I'm sure.

^ a Vihuela or Requinto but they only have 5 strings.

And its too small to be either.

EDIT: Requintos have six.

Last edited:
I suppose you could just use a set of strings made for a half size classical guitar, but maybe tune it to A or B. Or maybe use Uke srtings and do some weird re-entrant thing.

Looks like the Bruko octave guitar to me. The bridge and soundhole trim look identical to those on my new Bruko soprano...

Just done a little research. Check out this link, scroll down the page to find a picture of the Bruko octave guitar. looks exactly like what you have there.

http://www.ezfolk.com/forums/forum19/2308-1.html

Futch, I believe you're right. It looks exactly like what I have and mine is stamped inside the soundhole "Made in Western Germany" which is where the Bruko is made. Thanks!

Looks like the Bruko octave guitar to me. The bridge and soundhole trim look identical to those on my new Bruko soprano...

Just done a little research. Check out this link, scroll down the page to find a picture of the Bruko octave guitar. looks exactly like what you have there.

http://www.ezfolk.com/forums/forum19/2308-1.html

i think you got it. I thought it was a toy. you should modify it into an uke. do like nukedoc did to his 6 string.

Top Bottom