Watch this! Cairns Ukulele Festival 2011 Highlights video

Gaby

Reaction score
Need an excuse to come to Australia for a holiday? This is it!

The Cairns Ukulele Festival in North Queensland Australia, where the rainforest meets the reef (and thousands of ukuleles)!

The video features Daniel Ho, Brittni Paiva, Sweet Hollywaiians, Victoria Vox, Craig Chee, Ukulollo, Iwao Yamaguchi, Matt Dahlberg, Bosko & Honey and many more! Also in this video: ukulele building classes, world record attempt, gigs on the Great Barrier Reef, in the rainforest and in the city...

Next year's dates are 6-8 July.

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
What a great record

Fantastic record of the event.
I suspect I will be there in 2012 :)

I'll be there too....oh wait a minute. I already am.:D
Yes, yes you will/are :)

Allen, will you do your Uke build course again? I can't find much on the web about the last one (?2) but it sounds like a great idea! How many days/hours does it take for one of your pupils to make their (pre-prepared) Uke?? Does it all fit in to the three days of the festival!(is that possible?!)

Hi Tack, looking forward to seeing you here in Cairns next year! Good time to do a bit of diving as well...

Ron, there are direct flights from NZ into Cairns, often on special! Come over!

Wow, great video! My goal for next year is to make it to at least ONE Ukulele festival, probably in the UK though since Australia is a little far for me to travel...my lungs would go splat at the long time in the air!

Thanks for sharing :D

Yes, yes you will/are :)

Allen, will you do your Uke build course again? I can't find much on the web about the last one (?2) but it sounds like a great idea! How many days/hours does it take for one of your pupils to make their (pre-prepared) Uke?? Does it all fit in to the three days of the festival!(is that possible?!)

We've run the uke course the week leading up to the festival. It's sold out each year so I imagine it will be in the cards for next year.

We start off Monday morning at 9am and by Thursday afternoon you are out the door with a uke in finish and ready for the festival.

We've structured it so that those wishing to go to Green Island for the start of the Festival can go. However if you aren't the sea fairing type Friday is when I run a Master Class where you can ask questions and see demo's and techniques of the more advanced part of building, as well as getting some hands on experience of resawing wood, joining book match tops and backs etc.

On the "Class" page of my web site, the top image is of this past years class.

Last edited by a moderator:
The opening track is "Living in Paradise" by Daniel Ho, with the intro from "Keanuhea" from the CD 'ikena.

The ukulele building class has been a great success thanks to Allen and the hospitality of the Cairns Woodworkers Guild so it is on the cards again!

Sign up for our newsletter on http://cairnsukulelefestival.net for notifications. We're also on Facebook.

Last edited:
Wow, great video! My goal for next year is to make it to at least ONE Ukulele festival, probably in the UK though since Australia is a little far for me to travel...my lungs would go splat at the long time in the air!

Thanks for sharing :D

As long as you remember to breathe while you are in the air, you should be fine!

Top Bottom