"The Edgewater Waltz" (original)

H

Hippie Dribble

A song I wrote a few years back for my friend Brum...

Mick used to be my cricket coach. He's always been a rootless wanderin' boy.

He used to rent a place in East Devonport on the north-west coast of Tasmania, known as the docking point of the 'Spirit of Tasmania', the huge passenger and cargo ship that links the island to the mainland of Australia.

The Edgie was the pub closest to the terminal. We spent many an hour there watching folks come and go, blowing through like clouds. I guess at that point we were both barflies, dreaming of a way out of where we were, and of love. It was a sad town, a place you went on the way to somewhere else.

Anyway, last year Brum finally did it; it did take him 50 years but he left on that very same ship that we used to watch through our glass canoes. I hear he's doing great, even got himself a girlfriend. I look back on those years with a bittersweet regret, and wonder even now whether I should have left with him.

The Edgewater Hotel is still there, and, this song, as my paean to that pub and those times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9wcqDmWWg

thanks for watching everyone. Blessings,
jon

Aloha Bruddah Jon,
The link does not work for me..will check your You tube channel.. Stan
Don't even see it on your You Tube Channel..might have not loaded up...

Last edited:
oops, sorry mate. just checked it was listed as 'private'...fixed now :eek:

Now says and error occured..please try later..aww
Ahh finally got it..awesome song and a tribute to your friend, wow you're just like Jim Croce on uke ...is that the concert you are selling..sounds awesome..i want it...wish I could afford it..darn
Thanks for sharing..MM Stan

Last edited:
Please share more of your songs that you have written. You have so much talent, not that I don't enjoy your covers.. but geez.. more of your stuff. It is amazing! So heartfelt and enjoyable to listen to...

Jon - that's a fine tune, man - love the changes and the story..... it's really beautiful and a great performance, as always. Never get tired of your original songs - more, please!

Yeah that was lovely.....really enjoyed it.
"they got drunk on desire's charms".......that's good sh*t right there. You are oozing with talent my friend!

thanks so much you guys. It's always a little scary when you put up an original. This is one that i am pretty happy with...lyrically at least, it hangs together nicely but you don't know sometimes if you're actually gonna connect with anyone on the level you want to. I appreciate the encouragment and, yes, Carrie, I will start to do some more of my own mate. Cheers all!

Nice original, it's got a real seafaring folkie kind of sound to it, thanks for sharing!

Great ballad, Jon. Loved it! I agree with the others, more originals!

Jon, again, I am wowed by your talents. I think your originals are just wonderful. Please, please share more of them. Oh.....and that is a mighty sweet sounding ukulele you are strumming there, my friend.

Again- totally amazed- great story built in here, and a great bit of phrasing there my friend...
Part of me wants to push you off that dock out of jealousy of your incredible talent, but I probably would just sit back down and have you buy me a beer.
Glass Canoe- I like that one mate.
Edgewater.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom